DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

uncommanded descent

Hi Robert,
I experienced uncommanded descents (see More Mavic Mini Uncommanded Descents) and based on other's experiences, I contacted DJI who asked me to send the drone in for warranty service. Note that my drone was not damaged by the descents (despite the fact that it bounced off my driveway at high speed), so I was not looking for a warranty replacement or to use one of my DJI Care Refresh replacements. I was simply trying to "help the cause" of having an unreliable drone.

After contacting DJI, I received a similar email as yours above that resulted in me sending my Mini into DJI Service. As my thread states, DJI said they analyzed the data, concluded that the descent was due to flying with prop guards (not true) at high altitude (true), and suggested that I can pay them for a replacement unit! Crazy! Unlike other people who have said that DJI simply replaced their drone, they absolutely refused to acknowledge any issue on their end despite how much I tried to explain the situation to them. Ultimately, I asked them to ship the drone back to me. All told, it was gone for <3 weeks.

So in my opinion, it is not worthwhile for you to send your Mini back to DJI.

Regards,
Pat
Thanks Pat that was what I was guessing, that they would take the drone and say nothing was wrong. I am curious when you crashed on driveway did you look at the flight logs to see if that was represented?

Question. Are we all using OEM Dji prop blades & screws when flying these tests? I, for one, was using third party props.

To level the playing field, and also attempt to eliminate or confirm a potential cause, I've just ordered two sets from Dji. I'll report back when I've flown the test again with the brand new Dji props and screws.
I used original props but I got different performance from 2 separate installations. I just got my drone about 3 weeks ago. I was flying with the original on the drone props when I ordered another set from DJI. I decided to change them from the installed props to the new ones. All of a sudden I was getting a listing in the drone and it sounded much louder. I switched them back and the listing went away and they are much quieter. No matter what props I use when I full throttle across a field the drone climbs in altitude as much as 8 to 10 feet and then will drop about half the altitude to lets say 5 feet.

I used original props but I got different performance from 2 separate installations. I just got my drone about 3 weeks ago. I was flying with the original on the drone props when I ordered another set from DJI. I decided to change them from the installed props to the new ones. All of a sudden I was getting a listing in the drone and it sounded much louder. I switched them back and the listing went away and they are much quieter. No matter what props I use when I full throttle across a field the drone climbs in altitude as much as 8 to 10 feet and then will drop about half the altitude to lets say 5 feet.
I still think the "listing" is a red herring, unrelated to your issue. If the drone wasn't drifting in the direction of the tilt (which should be very noticeable), then the tilt was simply the drone holding position in a light breeze. That's how it holds position, and in still air it isn't physically possible to tilt without moving in that direction.

Reactions: sar104
Thanks Pat that was what I was guessing, that they would take the drone and say nothing was wrong. I am curious when you crashed on driveway did you look at the flight logs to see if that was represented?

Hi Robert,
Yes, I looked at the flight logs in AirData initially before sending back to DJI. And then after I got the drone back, I learned how to download the files from my phone and plot the data using CsvView as described in the post I linked to. The post includes a plot that shows the aircraft descending into the driveway without against the wishes of the throttle command.
Pat

Hi Robert,
Yes, I looked at the flight logs in AirData initially before sending back to DJI. And then after I got the drone back, I learned how to download the files from my phone and plot the data using CsvView as described in the post I linked to. The post includes a plot that shows the aircraft descending into the driveway without against the wishes of the throttle command.
Pat
And DJI thought that was not an issue? I am starting to think I made a bad decision buy buying this drone. I have not heard the same problems with other DJI drones, just the mini, some speculate that they hurried production to save their company once the new laws and regulations went into affect.

I still think the "listing" is a red herring, unrelated to your issue. If the drone wasn't drifting in the direction of the tilt (which should be very noticeable), then the tilt was simply the drone holding position in a light breeze. That's how it holds position, and in still air it isn't physically possible to tilt without moving in that direction.
If one or more props were, shall we say, malformed, might that cause the drone to list just to keep it in the right position???

If one or more props were, shall we say, malformed, might that cause the drone to list just to keep it in the right position???
That would just cause the drone to spin those props faster until they were generating as much thrust as the other props. The thrust is still aligned with the motor shafts, so if the drone tilts, it will put some thrust in that direction.

some speculate that they hurried production to save their company once the new laws and regulations went into affect.
Like a lot of forum speculation, that doesn't really add up.
There's been no regulatory changes that would have made any difference in the 6 months since DJI launched the Mini.
No-one knows how long it was in development prior to launching in time for Christmas buying.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Not directly on topic but I had an interesting experience today when a prop blade departed at altitude. The video footage shows the view cruising high above the trees, then a rapid serious upset & recover to a hover, then the dreaded sinking began. It did not respond much to stick inputs on the way down though it did seem to be trying; moving a little in all the commanded directions except for 'up', unfortunately. Landed successfully sideways :) 50 feet up in a shag bark hickory.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised it didn't just fall out of the air with one blade gone but no, it automatically righted itself. That's pretty clever, and the third time I've seen it do that, the other two were caused by clipping invisible branches. There's a lot of deciduous trees on my place and no leaves at present.

I located it using Find My Drone, got it down using a 12' stick and a 40' ladder and took it back to base. The retaining screw was still in place, no trace of the blade. I replaced all the props with new Dji ones that coincidentally arrived today, recalibrated everything and flew a few tests. I'm very happy to say the test flights were perfect except for one gimbal jump which I hope isn't too chronic.

Not directly on topic but I had an interesting experience today when a prop blade departed at altitude. The video footage shows the view cruising high above the trees, then a rapid serious upset & recover to a hover, then the dreaded sinking began. It did not respond much to stick inputs on the way down though it did seem to be trying; moving a little in all the commanded directions except for 'up', unfortunately. Landed successfully sideways :) 50 feet up in a shag bark hickory.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised it didn't just fall out of the air with one blade gone but no, it automatically righted itself. That's pretty clever, and the third time I've seen it do that, the other two were caused by clipping invisible branches. There's a lot of deciduous trees on my place and no leaves at present.

I located it using Find My Drone, got it down using a 12' stick and a 40' ladder and took it back to base. The retaining screw was still in place, no trace of the blade. I replaced all the props with new Dji ones that coincidentally arrived today, recalibrated everything and flew a few tests. I'm very happy to say the test flights were perfect except for one gimbal jump which I hope isn't too chronic.
You got lucky I guess, but the question is why did the blade come off in mid flight? I know about those invisible branches, I'm in the northeast and there are no leaves on the trees now so those branches are hard to see. I always try to fly above the trees, unless I am in a big open field.

Did the blade come ripped off clean or damaged ?

I've seen some DJI craft able to fly with half a blade but not too good, looks like the Mini wont fly at all.

Blade was completely gone, no trace, just the screw remained. To be fair, after the blade separated the Mini was able to resume flying, slowly in an almost vertical downward direction. It had already self-recovered after the blade separated and didn't just plummet, instead going into a straight and level slow sink. I had almost no control after the upset, it did all that by itself. It was just unlucky that it was over a tall tree when the blade separated. So I give the MM full points for fault tolerance, if it had happened 10 seconds before or after it would have landed gently in a field. I'm not inclined to give the design of the prop attachment too many points though.

Full disclosure, they were not Dji props, they were third party. The MM's fault tolerance is the real story here. Dji props for me from now on.

Full disclosure, they were not Dji props, they were third party. The MM's fault tolerance is the real story here. Dji props for me from now on.
Yeah aftermarket props probably wouldnt help. Mind you DJI props can fail too but seemingly much less likely given it puts their reputation into question if one of their drones is downed. Aftermarket dont care so much.
If you do go aftermarket, try stick to the better known brands like Master Airscrew (MAS) as less likely to fail as they also have a reputation to uphold.

Reactions: rehkram
I continued with testing yesterday after updating my MM to firmware .0500.
Behaviour is unchanged, it is still ascending by itself if flying full speed and later after stopping it will descend on its own for a part of the additional height accumulated before.

My next test was finding out if there is a specific speed limit and yes, I found it to be approx. 20km/h or about 5.5m/s.
As long as the MM flies slower than that (no matter of P or S mode), it will keep altitude in normal tolerance of maybe 1m.
But as soon as it flies faster it will do uncommanded ascending.

My theory is, that the altitude control loop within the flight controller does no longer rely on barometric data when flying very fast and then only relies on the accelerometers, maybe to avoid false barometric input caused by the air blowing onto the sensor.
When the MM will come to a stop the flight controller might recognise the false altitude and after a while it might try to correct it. If the pilot did same before already by stick input, the flight controller might not recognise that and then overcompensate, which looks like uncommanded descending to the pilot.
And if the pilot tries to correct by pushing the throttle stick forward, his command may add onto the internal descending command of the flight controller which will result to zero, so the impression is that the MM will not or only accept slowly and with delay an ascending command.

Reactions: rumitcu
My theory is, that the altitude control loop within the flight controller does no longer rely on barometric data when flying very fast and then only relies on the accelerometers, maybe to avoid false barometric input caused by the air blowing onto the sensor.
When the MM will come to a stop the flight controller might recognise the false altitude and after a while it might try to correct it. If the pilot did same before already by stick input, the flight controller might not recognise that and then overcompensate, which looks like uncommanded descending to the pilot.
And if the pilot tries to correct by pushing the throttle stick forward, his command may add onto the internal descending command of the flight controller which will result to zero, so the impression is that the MM will not or only accept slowly and with delay an ascending command.

This was certainly not in my case. If you relook at my log, you will see that I was cruising for minutes in Cinematic/Tripod mode (+/- 4 m/sec) at a height of 7 m above the ground, not windy at all, not asking much of the power of the AC, when it suddenly loses altitude and almost hits the ground.

This was certainly not in my case. If you relook at my log, you will see that I was cruising for minutes in Cinematic/Tripod mode (+/- 4 m/sec) at a height of 7 m above the ground, not windy at all, not asking much of the power of the AC, when it suddenly loses altitude and almost hits the ground.
The descending with hitting the ground may be an additional, seperate bug.

You are talking about completely different problems.

Reactions: Thomas B
Up to now I always did my test flights at quite low altitude, few meters above ground, means within the range of the VPS system.
Today I repeated my test flight, but with a starting altitude of 20m which is outside of VPS range.
And there was no more uncommanded ascending, even when flying up to 46km/h in S mode! Altitude always stayed witrhin +/-1m.

So I guess this firmware bug has something to do with the VPS system...

Reactions: rumitcu
Up to now I always did my test flights at quite low altitude, few meters above ground, means within the range of the VPS system.
Today I repeated my test flight, but with a starting altitude of 20m which is outside of VPS range.
And there was no more uncommanded ascending, even when flying up to 46km/h in S mode! Altitude always stayed witrhin +/-1m.

So I guess this firmware bug has something to do with the VPS system...
Great info. Was wondering why my mini would not keep altitude and ascend while flying. When going full throttle on low altitude (<5m) it climes without any input. Pretty scary if you need to keep altitude. Hope the bug is resolved. Did not noticed this in the previous fw. |Now on 05

Mine is still climbing 10 feet per leg after updating firmware and replacing the props with Dji. All my flight start heights for these tests have been 20' and higher. So no difference here.

Question, how high is the limit of the VPS?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife