DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking nightmare

Photoman482

Reactions
I got my clearence from the local airport. Got the OK from DJI for the flight. Followed the directions to do download the cert to my smart controller at home since I probably wouldnt have a connection in the field. Got to the site, turn it all on, followed the instructions, which suck, to upload the cert to drone, checked the two boxes, hit ok and... it wanted me to go to some webpage. Tried to connect to my Iphone, which it would recognize. Went through the whole process, or so I thought, having followed DJI's terrible instructions.
Never got off the ground. WTH???

Any help would be appreciated.

Firstly, more information needed. Why did you get clearance from your local airport? That's not an option in controlled airspace. Secondly, what you do you mean you "got the OK from DJI"? Do you mean you self-unlocked an authorization zone (blue) zone, or something else?

I was in a blue zone near IAD. It's restricted so I needed auth from there. Then I got the auth code from DJI. Dji said to do the preflight part at home if you might not have internet onsite. So I did that. Went thru what I thought was an easy procedure following DJI instructions. Did it several times. Didn't work. It kept wanting me to go to a webpage that wouldnt load. Used the hotspot from my Iphone but my SC would not recognize it.
This is the first time I've ever unlocked and I could not fine a good vid on how to actually do it.
Had the red zone no fly in the controller the whole time.

I was in a blue zone near IAD. It's restricted so I needed auth from there. Then I got the auth code from DJI. Dji said to do the preflight part at home if you might not have internet onsite. So I did that. Went thru what I thought was an easy procedure following DJI instructions. Did it several times. Didn't work. It kept wanting me to go to a webpage that wouldnt load. Used the hotspot from my Iphone but my SC would not recognize it.
This is the first time I've ever unlocked and I could not fine a good vid on how to actually do it.
Had the red zone no fly in the controller the whole time.
Well I'd like to help, but that's just not a clear enough description of what the airspace was and what you did.

Flying next to Dulles International, one of the busiest airports in the world? I’d expect you need to be Part 107 certified, have FAA approval & have an experienced radio operator with two way coms available. The rules in Canada, where I live are pretty strict for such an operation.

Flying next to Dulles International, one of the busiest airports in the world? I’d expect you need to be Part 107 certified, have FAA approval & have an experienced radio operator with two way coms available. The rules in Canada, where I live are pretty strict for such an operation.
Not exactly. The immediate vicinity of KIAD is surface Class B and falls under the LAANC approval system that applies to both Part 107 and recreational flight.

IMG_9FEF19BC24E6-1.jpeg

Anywhere other than in a zero altitude grid is available to both categories:

1621613605302.png

So FAA approval, yes. The OP stated that he was in a DJI blue (authorization zone), which narrows it down and makes it less likely to be in a zero altitude grid:

1621613841493.png

There's no requirement to be a radio operator of any kind, and two-way comms on the aviation band is not permitted for sUAS operations.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190