DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UNMOUNTING THE ATTACK AGANIST DJI AND THE CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE LOSS QUALITY RESOLUTION IN MAVIC 2 PRO

This seems pretty complicated. John Q public wont know the difference in the final photo or video.
I cant figure out why people buy the cheapest stable flying 4k camera they can find, then complain about its shortcomings.
There are drones out there that are capable of what these "pro's" want.

Reactions: rfc
This seems pretty complicated. John Q public wont know the difference in the final photo or video.
I cant figure out why people buy the cheapest stable flying 4k camera they can find, then complain about its shortcomings.
There are drones out there that are capable of what these "pro's" want.

I knew we would agree on something eventually!

Reactions: rfc
I knew we would agree on something eventually!
I mean really..... You take away the value of the drone, the RC, the batteries, and the gimbal, What are we talking about here, maybe a $150 camera? And people are comparing it to Thousand dollar plus cameras. :D

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I mean really..... You take away the value of the drone, the RC, the batteries, and the gimbal, What are we talking about here, maybe a $150 camera? And people are comparing it to Thousand dollar plus cameras. :D

I think I did that exact breakdown on the other thread! Or I typed it up and deleted it... It's really insane. I went and flew today and I'm watching the video... I had to get some Kleenex afterwards to wipe up the....tears, yea tears. Beautiful! So much better than the Mavic Pro.

I think I did that exact breakdown on the other thread! Or I typed it up and deleted it... It's really insane. I went and flew today and I'm watching the video... I had to get some Kleenex afterwards to wipe up the....tears, yea tears. Beautiful! So much better than the Mavic Pro.
Were you flying over a pansy field? ‘-p.... I’m with you, the imaging quality is astounding given the overall performance, cost and size. DJI have really got their stuff together in delivering the M2.

Were you flying over a pansy field? ‘-p.... I’m with you, the imaging quality is astounding given the overall performance, cost and size. DJI have really got their stuff together in delivering the M2.

Just plain solid!

Are you comparing apples with apples? Your +1 compared to +2 over EV is that +2 stops in the actual settings for an identical scene illumination or are you simply looking at what the P4 and M2 metering determines as optimum exposure. I’m certainly not saying your wrong- I haven’t shot enough footage with the M2 to get a feel for this yet. It wouldn’t be what might be expected.

Ive flown the same flight path on the same day BUTI haven’t set up a true studio control configuration so there are some variables possible for sure.
What I’ll typically do for all footage (which most people use as a rule of thumb when shooting Log without waveforms or false color) is to bump the exposure up until it hits just a touch of Zebra’s (100IRE) and then back it off a hair and see how it goes. This usually allows my highlights to record in the 70-90s with pure whites ideally topping out at 99IRE

What I’ve found with this is that the M2P hits zebras at pretty much a stop and a half lower typically than the P4P when using this method of exposure for Log. If anyone has any ideas on how to inch out the last drop of dynamic range from this sensor then I welcome it as I am truly loving the M2P.

I even tried recording at ISO 400 to mimic the P4P’s ISO 500 lock in Log (as that’s where the P4P’s sensor has the most DR) but I didn’t really find a signal to noise ratio benefit at all and seemed to just keep the same dynamic range but with a little more noise at the higher ISO

That right there made me stop reading OP post. Can't imagine someone spending much time typing such post, while having an utterly wrong hypothesis taken as basis.
For your education sir, default field of view angle on original Mavic pro and Mavic air are as follows:

View attachment 50030

View attachment 50031

And here we have Mavic 2 Pro FOV, which by no means implies this is a "new feature", or an "extra", and is in fact the base setting, and as expected from aerial videography device:
View attachment 50032

I'm sorry you had spend so much time writing this post, trying to make an educated guess using pro level terminology, yet being so far off on your base assumptions.

I have to agree with Bobnecat, the OP has wasted everyone's time. "Full FOV" is pretty much useless because of the dramatic loss of visual resolution it causes which means you're stuck with using a drone that shoots in 55 degree field of view and only uses a smaller portion of the 1 inch sensor

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Bobnecat, the OP has wasted everyone's time. "Full FOV" is pretty much useless because of the dramatic loss of visual resolution it causes which means you're stuck with using a drone that shoots in 55 degree field of view and only uses a smaller portion of the 1 inch sensor
Hopefully you didn’t buy one...

I understand OP and users like you two wanting to defend your purchasing decisions but like pretty much everyone else that isn't wearing DJI brand rose tinted glasses DJI's decision to withhold this information until a user had to test it and figure it out themselves isn't a very smart move. It would have taken a simple * Full FOV mode requires sensor subsampling and a slight degradation of visual quality which would be putting it lightly

Who says it’s useless? Full FOV is totally useable

Reactions: Roamer105
I understand OP and users like you two wanting to defend your purchasing decisions but like pretty much everyone else that isn't wearing DJI brand rose tinted glasses DJI's decision to withhold this information until a user had to test it and figure it out themselves isn't a very smart move. It would have taken a simple * Full FOV mode requires sensor subsampling and a slight degradation of visual quality which would be putting it lightly
DJI has to save some slightly significant thing to add to the Mavic pro 3 so all these fanboys will pony up again next year! :D

DJI has to save some slightly significant thing to add to the Mavic pro 3 so all these fanboys will pony up again next year! :D

I’m pretty sure taking the time to create a member account on a forum for a specific DJI product makes your comment critiquing someone as a DJI fanboy a little less impactful. ;)

The M2P has its quirks but overal I’ve found it to be amazing over my P4P, Mavic 1 and Air. Even Most people who have been at the forefront of its criticism still agree with my above sentiment.

I’d take it out 9 times out of 10 over my P4P and I love my P4P

Reactions: Roamer105
The broken English and syntax makes the op sound like a DJI employee to me lol.

But seriously, they (DJI) never said this would be a folding P4P. It’s better than the MP1 so that’s good enough for me.

Not being able to use the full FOV does suck considering the Air and MP1 have it... but isn’t the problem only if you use 10 bit color AND full FOV? So I could just use a different color and full FOV works fine?

Reactions: Static8
The broken English and syntax makes the op sound like a DJI employee to me lol.

But seriously, they (DJI) never said this would be a folding P4P. It’s better than the MP1 so that’s good enough for me.

Not being able to use the full FOV does suck considering the Air and MP1 have it... but isn’t the problem only if you use 10 bit color AND full FOV? So I could just use a different color and full FOV works fine?

How did this issue progress from the observation that FOV mode has slightly less resolution than the P4P to the conclusion that FOV is completely unusable?

Reactions: c.m.s and wisesafe
I’m pretty sure taking the time to create a member account on a forum for a specific DJI product makes your comment critiquing someone as a DJI fanboy a little less impactful. ;)

The M2P has its quirks but overal I’ve found it to be amazing over my P4P, Mavic 1 and Air. Even Most people who have been at the forefront of its criticism still agree with my above sentiment.

I’d take it out 9 times out of 10 over my P4P and I love my P4P
I wasnt referring to the OP as the fan boy. Maybe you can figure out what I meant by that.
I only own ONE DJI product.

I wasnt referring to the OP as the fan boy. Maybe you can figure out what I meant by that.
I only own ONE DJI product.
I read through some of your earlier posts. A 20 megapixel camera that records 4k in Log in 10 bit H.265 for $150?Where? Where does this exist?

I believe thats is about what the mavic pro2 camera costs to replace..
Based on the fact that the Mavic pro camera WITH the gimbal is $90 ish.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair