DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UNMOUNTING THE ATTACK AGANIST DJI AND THE CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE LOSS QUALITY RESOLUTION IN MAVIC 2 PRO

curso88

Reactions
UNMOUNTING THE ATTACK AGANIST DJI AND THE CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE LOSS QUALITY RESOLUTION IN MAVIC 2 PRO. MAVIC 2 PRO DOES NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS AND YES, IT PRACTICALLY USES ALL THE SURFACE OF THE CAMERA SENSOR

I have researched this topic, and I see that there are things that nobody is questioning. Truths perhaps mixed with falsehoods, or errors of appreciation, so these are my conclusions about a viral hoax that is affecting the company DJI.

Apparently, everything started when a YouTube user named Cliff Toffen published a video that has been viralized by sensationalism of inexperienced people, seriously affecting the credibility of the company DJI

In the viral video of Mr. Cliff Toffen, a very important factor is not being taken into account. In the image resolution comparisons with an image resolution chart, the latest generation models of DJI, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro resolution the image in 4K in normal mode, (which we call HQ in the model Mavic 2 Pro), breaks exactly in the same point in the 3 models. However, in the Phantom 4 Pro, the image resolution is a bit better and it breaks later but for an explanation I write below. The loss of resolution of Mavic 2 Pro, only appears in the new 4K FOV MODE THAT ONLY INCORPORATES AS NEW FEATURE in the Mavic 2 Pro model, but not in the rest of drone models of DJI.

WHY IS DJI HAS IMPLEMENTED THIS NEW FEATURE OF 4K FOV MODE IN MAVIC 2 PRO?

Just to very specific situations where a wider field of vision than a perfect resolution is more important for the viewer.

HOW MANY PIXELS DO WE NEED TO GENERATE A 4K IMAGE IN OUR VIDEO?

To generate a real image in 4K we need approximately 8,3 million of pixels from the sensor (8,3 Megapixel)

REALLY MAVIC 2 PRO AND PHANTOM 4 PRO USES MOST SURFACE OF THE SENSOR TO CREATE THE TRUE 4K IMAGE?

YES. To create a 4K image with the same field of vision and equivalence in the proportion and focal length of the image in both models, the image processor uses a system for scanning and processing the video signal called PIXEL BINNING, This system is not only used in 4K resolution, it is also used in lower resolutions, to maintain the same focal distance of the image and field of vision. If this were not the case, you would have a different focal length in each image resolution mode, since in each mode the total surface of the lens would not maintain the same field of vision in all resolutions.

HOW WORKS THE 4K RESOLUTION IN MAVIC 2 PRO AND PHANTOM 4 PRO?

To get a 4K video image it is necessary to have a minimum number of effective pixels in the sensor. Specifically, for a real 4K resolution, it is necessary to use approximately 8.3 million pixels of the sensor (8.3 Megapixels) On the Mavic 2 pro and Phantom 4 pro sensor, the total sensor surface contains 20 million pixels on a 1-inch surface, this is just something more than twice as necessary, but does this mean that the sensor only uses half of its surface? The answer is NO. The two Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro cameras using the largest possible surface of the camera's 1" CMOS sensor.
In such cameras, if the sensor has at least twofold the number of pixels needed to create a real 4K image, the image processor uses an algorithm called PIXEL BINNING to get a true high quality 4K video with the most amount of dynamic range and image information using the largest possible surface of the 1" camera's CMOS sensor.

HOW WORKS THE PIXEL BINING IN 4K VIDEO MODE IN PHANTOM 4 PRO AND MAVIC 2 PRO CAMERAS?

This processing algorithm gets twice as much information from the sensor photodiodes because it uses twice as many pixels as needed to create a real 4K image. Each photolith corresponds to a one pixel, and in each pixel there are three microscopic photodiodes sensitive to each of the three primary RGB colors. The Pixel Binning algorithm in 4k video need use 2 times the minimum number of pixels to get a real 4K image, this means that it uses 8.3 MPix x 2 = 16.6 Megapixels. In the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro cameras the image processor scans each pair of consecutive RGB photoliths to create a pixel with the averaged information of 2 photoliths. If we take into account that the total surface of the 1-inch CMOS sensor contains 20 Megapixels, and, the image processor is scanning 16,6 Megapixels to get a 4K image, we can say that only a surface of only 3 megapixels of the sensor is wasted . It's not bad at all.

This technique/algorithm IS ONLY POSSIBLE IN 4K if we have a minimum of 16,6 Megapixels in the sensor AND is used too in the lower resolutions with different multiples of 2, TO NOT MODIFY THE FOV OR FOCAL EQUIVALENCE IN THE image result from the camera.

WHY THIS ALGORITHM IS USED IN VIDEO CAMERAS THAT ARE ALSO CAPABLE OF MAKING HIGH-RESOLUTION PHOTOGRAPHS
To not modify the angle of view and focal equivalence in the camera in the different resolution modes and to achieve more information about the light that forms the image on the surface of the sensor.

MAVIC AIR AND MAVIC 2 ZOOM MODELS USE THIS ALGORITM?

The answer is YES, like many cameras on the market, BUT, in these two models, only in resolutions of 1080p and 2.7K. Not in 4K modes because the sensor only has 12 megapixels and to use this algorithm in 4K resolution to take advantage of the larger sensor surface you need at least 16.6 Megapixels. The sensor of these 2 models only has 12 effective megapixels. Therefore, the proportion of the sensor, wasted is a little higher than in the models Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro or similar.

SO? WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE FOV MODE IN MAVIC 2 PRO???

It's very simple. is the first time that DJI implements this 4K FOV mode to achieve a wider field of view as an additional feature, but this mode is intended to be used when the resolution and sharpness in the image quality is less important to the viewer than to achieve a field of wide-angle vision.
The comparison with this new 4K FOV mode and the other common image modes CAN NOT BE COMPARED BECAUSE THEY DO NOT EXIST IN THE REST OF DJI CAMERAS. It is a new feature, which aims to get more performance in the product, and which is optional, without losing the previous common 4K modes.
In the FOV mode, the CMOS sampling and scanning method must use a more complex algorithm and mathematically it is not possible to establish a proportional relation that allows the scanning and processing by "pixel binning" using pairs of consecutive and sequential pixels.

IT IS REALLY A DEFECT THE DISTORTION OF THE IMAGE WHEN THE 4K FOV MODE IS USED?

It is a logical limitation of hardware, since when using the entire surface of the sensor in a camera with such small lenses, the image uses the surface of the edges of the lenses, which is where the image begins to distort.

THIS IS A PROBLEM?

Not. You are free to use this additional mode without losing the other common video modes with the full image quality that exist in Phantom 4 Pro and other DJI drones. This picture mode is a new feature that does not eliminate any type of quality or functionality to your Mavic 2 Pro.

THEN .. IT IS REALLY SUPERIOR IMAGE QUALITY AND THE CAMERA MAVIC 2 PRO THAT THE CAMERAS OF MAVIC AIR, MAVIC 2 ZOOM OR PHANTOM 4 PRO?

My personal opinion
- Dynamic range:
From the mentioned models, the Mavic 2 Pro camera has a higher dynamic range, with a total of 14 stops, compared to the 13 stops of the Mavic 2 Zoom or the 12 stops of Phantom 4 Pro
- Depth of color:
The camera of Mavic 2 Pro is clear winner achieving a color depth of 10 bits compared to the mentioned models
- Resolution:
The camera of Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro have a sensor of 1 inch of 20 megapixels compared to 12 megapixels in a small sensor size of Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Zoom
- Camera:
the cameras of phantom 4 pro and mavic 2 pro have a physical diaphragm, not emulated electronically like the models Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic Air

That answer will depend on your needs. Remember that there is no perfect drone, you have to decide and choose depending on your budget and needs. Only you can turn an imperfect product into a perfect one, everything depends on your creativity. ;-)

CONCLUSION

In my opinion this attack against DJI and his camera Hasselblad is the result of ignorance or the desire to get a bigger audience by viralising incorrect information. I do not know if it is another attack to the DJI company by the competing companies.
The Hasselblad camera is the result of an I + 2 investigation of more than 2 years by DJI with the company Hasselblad, which is possibly the best camera company in the world. Although little known, Hasselblad manufactures cameras for NASA, and its cameras were the first to take the first pictures of the Moon in the Apollo mission.

I want to make it clear that I'm not part of the DJI team, this post is not promoted by DJI and it is a personal opinion based on my knowledge and experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll said. Ikopta has a good video on why Chris' video leaves us with a lot of questions. Fact is, it's a good camera and a serious good upgrade on previous mavics.

Reactions: KiterTodd
My personal opinion
- Dynamic range:
From the mentioned models, the Mavic 2 Pro camera has a higher dynamic range, with a total of 14 stops, compared to the 13 stops of the Mavic 2 Zoom or the 12 stops of Phantom 4 Pro
- Depth of color:
The camera of Mavic 2 Pro is clear winner achieving a color depth of 10 bits compared to the mentioned models

Do you have any data to back up your 14-stop DR claim, or are you just making it up? (Before answering, consider that the class-leading, full-frame D850 has a 14.8EV dynamic range, and the DJI Zenmuse X7's APS-C sensor doesn't quite reach 14EV).

Also to your second point, note that the M2P only produces a 10-bit output in video files, not in still images (where the output is 16-bits, though it appears as though the underlying signal path is only 12-bit).

UNMOUNTING THE ATTACK AGANIST DJI AND THE CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE LOSS QUALITY RESOLUTION IN MAVIC 2 PRO. MAVIC 2 PRO DOES NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS AND YES, IT PRACTICALLY USES ALL THE SURFACE OF THE CAMERA SENSOR

I have researched this topic, and I see that there are things that nobody is questioning. Truths perhaps mixed with falsehoods, or errors of appreciation, so these are my conclusions about a viral hoax that is affecting the company DJI.

Apparently, everything started when a YouTube user named Cliff Toffen published a video that has been viralized by sensationalism of inexperienced people, seriously affecting the credibility of the company DJI

In the viral video of Mr. Cliff Toffen, a very important factor is not being taken into account. In the image resolution comparisons with an image resolution chart, the latest generation models of DJI, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro resolution the image in 4K in normal mode, (which we call HQ in the model Mavic 2 Pro), breaks exactly in the same point in the 3 models. However, in the Phantom 4 Pro, the image resolution is a bit better and it breaks later but for an explanation I write below. The loss of resolution of Mavic 2 Pro, only appears in the new 4K FOV MODE THAT ONLY INCORPORATES AS NEW FEATURE in the Mavic 2 Pro model, but not in the rest of drone models of DJI.

WHY IS DJI HAS IMPLEMENTED THIS NEW FEATURE OF 4K FOV MODE IN MAVIC 2 PRO?

Just to very specific situations where a wider field of vision than a perfect resolution is more important for the viewer.

HOW MANY PIXELS DO WE NEED TO GENERATE A 4K IMAGE IN OUR VIDEO?

To generate a real image in 4K we need approximately 8,3 million of pixels from the sensor (8,3 Megapixel)

REALLY MAVIC 2 PRO AND PHANTOM 4 PRO USES MOST SURFACE OF THE SENSOR TO CREATE THE TRUE 4K IMAGE?

YES. To create a 4K image with the same field of vision and equivalence in the proportion and focal length of the image in both models, the image processor uses a system for scanning and processing the video signal called PIXEL BINNING, This system is not only used in 4K resolution, it is also used in lower resolutions, to maintain the same focal distance of the image and field of vision. If this were not the case, you would have a different focal length in each image resolution mode, since in each mode the total surface of the lens would not maintain the same field of vision in all resolutions.

HOW WORKS THE 4K RESOLUTION IN MAVIC 2 PRO AND PHANTOM 4 PRO?

To get a 4K video image it is necessary to have a minimum number of effective pixels in the sensor. Specifically, for a real 4K resolution, it is necessary to use approximately 8.3 million pixels of the sensor (8.3 Megapixels) On the Mavic 2 pro and Phantom 4 pro sensor, the total sensor surface contains 20 million pixels on a 1-inch surface, this is just something more than twice as necessary, but does this mean that the sensor only uses half of its surface? The answer is NO. The two Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro cameras using the largest possible surface of the camera's 1" CMOS sensor.
In such cameras, if the sensor has at least twofold the number of pixels needed to create a real 4K image, the image processor uses an algorithm called PIXEL BINNING to get a true high quality 4K video with the most amount of dynamic range and image information using the largest possible surface of the 1" camera's CMOS sensor.

HOW WORKS THE PIXEL BINING IN 4K VIDEO MODE IN PHANTOM 4 PRO AND MAVIC 2 PRO CAMERAS?

This processing algorithm gets twice as much information from the sensor photodiodes because it uses twice as many pixels as needed to create a real 4K image. Each photolith corresponds to a one pixel, and in each pixel there are three microscopic photodiodes sensitive to each of the three primary RGB colors. The Pixel Binning algorithm in 4k video need use 2 times the minimum number of pixels to get a real 4K image, this means that it uses 8.3 MPix x 2 = 16.6 Megapixels. In the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro cameras the image processor scans each pair of consecutive RGB photoliths to create a pixel with the averaged information of 2 photoliths. If we take into account that the total surface of the 1-inch CMOS sensor contains 20 Megapixels, and, the image processor is scanning 16,6 Megapixels to get a 4K image, we can say that only a surface of only 3 megapixels of the sensor is wasted . It's not bad at all.

This technique/algorithm IS ONLY POSSIBLE IN 4K if we have a minimum of 16,6 Megapixels in the sensor AND is used too in the lower resolutions with different multiples of 2, TO NOT MODIFY THE FOV OR FOCAL EQUIVALENCE IN THE image result from the camera.

WHY THIS ALGORITHM IS USED IN VIDEO CAMERAS THAT ARE ALSO CAPABLE OF MAKING HIGH-RESOLUTION PHOTOGRAPHS
To not modify the angle of view and focal equivalence in the camera in the different resolution modes and to achieve more information about the light that forms the image on the surface of the sensor.

MAVIC AIR AND MAVIC 2 ZOOM MODELS USE THIS ALGORITM?

The answer is YES, like many cameras on the market, BUT, in these two models, only in resolutions of 1080p and 2.7K. Not in 4K modes because the sensor only has 12 megapixels and to use this algorithm in 4K resolution to take advantage of the larger sensor surface you need at least 16.6 Megapixels. The sensor of these 2 models only has 12 effective megapixels. Therefore, the proportion of the sensor, wasted is a little higher than in the models Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro or similar.

SO? WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE FOV MODE IN MAVIC 2 PRO???

It's very simple. is the first time that DJI implements this 4K FOV mode to achieve a wider field of view as an additional feature, but this mode is intended to be used when the resolution and sharpness in the image quality is less important to the viewer than to achieve a field of wide-angle vision.
The comparison with this new 4K FOV mode and the other common image modes CAN NOT BE COMPARED BECAUSE THEY DO NOT EXIST IN THE REST OF DJI CAMERAS. It is a new feature, which aims to get more performance in the product, and which is optional, without losing the previous common 4K modes.
In the FOV mode, the CMOS sampling and scanning method must use a more complex algorithm and mathematically it is not possible to establish a proportional relation that allows the scanning and processing by "pixel binning" using pairs of consecutive and sequential pixels.

IT IS REALLY A DEFECT THE DISTORTION OF THE IMAGE WHEN THE 4K FOV MODE IS USED?

It is a logical limitation of hardware, since when using the entire surface of the sensor in a camera with such small lenses, the image uses the surface of the edges of the lenses, which is where the image begins to distort.

THIS IS A PROBLEM?

Not. You are free to use this additional mode without losing the other common video modes with the full image quality that exist in Phantom 4 Pro and other DJI drones. This picture mode is a new feature that does not eliminate any type of quality or functionality to your Mavic 2 Pro.

THEN .. IT IS REALLY SUPERIOR IMAGE QUALITY AND THE CAMERA MAVIC 2 PRO THAT THE CAMERAS OF MAVIC AIR, MAVIC 2 ZOOM OR PHANTOM 4 PRO?

My personal opinion
- Dynamic range:
- Depth of color:
- Resolution:
The camera of Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro have a sensor of 1 inch of 20 megapixels compared to 12 megapixels in a small sensor size of Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Zoom
- Camera:
the cameras of phantom 4 pro and mavic 2 pro have a physical diaphragm, not emulated electronically like the models Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic Air

That answer will depend on your needs. Remember that there is no perfect drone, you have to decide and choose depending on your budget and needs. Only you can turn an imperfect product into a perfect one, everything depends on your creativity. ;-)

CONCLUSION

In my opinion this attack against DJI and his camera Hasselblad is the result of ignorance or the desire to get a bigger audience by viralising incorrect information. I do not know if it is another attack to the DJI company by the competing companies.
The Hasselblad camera is the result of an I + 2 investigation of more than 2 years by DJI with the company Hasselblad, which is possibly the best camera company in the world. Although little known, Hasselblad manufactures cameras for NASA, and its cameras were the first to take the first pictures of the Moon in the Apollo mission.

I want to make it clear that I'm not part of the DJI team, this post is not promoted by DJI and it is a personal opinion based on my knowledge and experience.

Drones DJI - Soporte en Español (Mavic/ Mavic Air y Phantom 3/4 Pro)

You mentioned at the start of your post that the resolution (or more probably, aliasing) is slightly worse on the M2P than the P4P, but I don't see that you did ever did provide an explanation. In the descriptions that followed, you stated that the M2P and the P4P used the same process.

The biggest complaint in this thread has been that the M2P and the P4P both do 4k at full field of view, but that the performance is different, and worse, on the M2P.

Does the phantom 4 pro do 10bit? I've never had one.

That my friend is the real issue... as I said elsewhere we should stop comparing apples and oranges... they are fundamentally different.

Frankly even if we compared both of them in 8-bit mode... it is still apples and oranges.... (and I like oranges...!) [emoji2]

First of all, I AM NOT literate in technological jargon, so much of my take after reading the opening post is filtered through a good amount of contextual reading.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but it seems to me all that information posted above confirms the Cliff Toffen findings.

But still not as good as the P4P
Indeed, that is the real issue. It is not all it could be. It has a great lens, newer electronics, but can't match the video quality of the P4P. So clearly, it has been crippled. Is it really due to heat or just DJI trying to protect sales of the Phantom.

This guy puts it into real perspective against that video and other thread.

I’m not saying there isnt an issue with 4K FOV. DJI improved quality and technology over the M1P and that’s all that matters. Coming from a P4P+ which I got after selling my M1P, P3P, P3A, the footage produced by the M2P is more than enough (for me). The slight difference in image quality makes up in the portability, 2nd iteration of OccuSync, better autonomous features that are rarely used anyway. If image QUALITY mattered that much to me or anyone complaining, go the Inspire route and put an end to all doubt.

Most people complaining don’t even know how to color grade or tell a good story. Put the camera in the right hands and it can get the job done. Many people putting so much effort into a very minute difference when they should be applying that effort into working on other aspects of their craft which matter most.

Last edited:
This guy puts it into real perspective against that video and other thread.

I’m not saying there isnt an issue with 4K FOV. DJI improved quality and technology over the M1P and that’s all that matters. Coming from a P4P+ which I got after selling my M1P, P3P, P3A, the footage produced by the M2P is more than enough (for me). The slight difference in image quality makes up in the portability, 2nd iteration of OccuSync, better autonomous features that are rarely used anyway. If image QUALITY mattered that much to me or anyone complaining, go the Inspire route and put an end to all doubt.

Most people complaining don’t even know how to color grade or tell a good story. Put the camera in the right hands and it can get the job done. Many people putting so much effort into a very minute difference when they should be applying that effort into working on other aspects of their craft which matter most.
Well bloody said!

@curso88, your post is the best and longest post I have ever read on any forum. Wow!

Possibly true in terms of the camera only. Everything else about the Phantom series is hideously outdated and just needs to go away.

Maybe, but I'm still stuck on this "DJI lied to us" rhetoric that keeps coming up. DJI never, ever compared the M2P to the P4P. These guys keep saying it like that'll make it true eventually. It won't. There are four Mavic models, the top Mavic model isn't as good as the Phantom model...shocker! The top Camaro isn't a good as the Corvette...again shocker!

I have both the P4P and the Mavic and as someone who shoots religiously in Log, the M2P’s dynamic range isn’t as good as the P4P. WIth the P4P in D log locked at ISO 500 you can ETTR a full EV+2 before clipping any highlights. With the M2P you’re lucky to get up to EV+1 but in all of my findings are best to stay at EV+0.7.

What does this all mean? It means that the cameras available dynamic range latitude is in a smaller window with the M2P than with the P4P.
What it DOESNT mean is that the M2P’s image is somehow bad, because it isn’t, it’s actually pretty amazing.

And quite frankly with all of the benefits that the M2P has going for it over the P4P I’d still probably pick the M2P 90% of the time because the image has a certain je ne sais quoi that the other drones cameras just do not have in that price bracket. (Namely, the 10 Bit and Hasselblad color science)

As far as the sharpness of the P4P vs the M2P. The P4P is a bit sharper, but that’s a relatively easy fix in post production with “unsharp mask” in premier pro

In the viral video of Mr. Cliff Toffen, a very important factor is not being taken into account. In the image resolution comparisons with an image resolution chart, the latest generation models of DJI, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro resolution the image in 4K in normal mode, (which we call HQ in the model Mavic 2 Pro),
The loss of resolution of Mavic 2 Pro, only appears in the new 4K FOV MODE THAT ONLY INCORPORATES AS NEW FEATURE in the Mavic 2 Pro model, but not in the rest of drone models of DJI.
That right there made me stop reading OP post. Can't imagine someone spending much time typing such post, while having an utterly wrong hypothesis taken as basis.
For your education sir, default field of view angle on original Mavic pro and Mavic air are as follows:

Mavic Air.JPG

Mavic Pro Platinum.JPG

And here we have Mavic 2 Pro FOV, which by no means implies this is a "new feature", or an "extra", and is in fact the base setting, and as expected from aerial videography device:
Mavic 2 Pro.JPG

I'm sorry you had spend so much time writing this post, trying to make an educated guess using pro level terminology, yet being so far off on your base assumptions.

I have both the P4P and the Mavic and as someone who shoots religiously in Log, the M2P’s dynamic range isn’t as good as the P4P. WIth the P4P in D log locked at ISO 500 you can ETTR a full EV+2 before clipping any highlights. With the M2P you’re lucky to get up to EV+1 but in all of my findings are best to stay at EV+0.7.

What does this all mean? It means that the cameras available dynamic range latitude is in a smaller window with the M2P than with the P4P.
What it DOESNT mean is that the M2P’s image is somehow bad, because it isn’t, it’s actually pretty amazing.

And quite frankly with all of the benefits that the M2P has going for it over the P4P I’d still probably pick the M2P 90% of the time because the image has a certain je ne sais quoi that the other drones cameras just do not have in that price bracket. (Namely, the 10 Bit and Hasselblad color science)

As far as the sharpness of the P4P vs the M2P. The P4P is a bit sharper, but that’s a relatively easy fix in post production with “unsharp mask” in premier pro
Are you comparing apples with apples? Your +1 compared to +2 over EV is that +2 stops in the actual settings for an identical scene illumination or are you simply looking at what the P4 and M2 metering determines as optimum exposure. I’m certainly not saying your wrong- I haven’t shot enough footage with the M2 to get a feel for this yet. It wouldn’t be what might be expected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett