DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unnecessary restrictions

Unsub

Reactions
DJI is ruining the hobby with their ridiculous restrictions, even in areas where the uav forcast says ok to fly, faa says ok to fly, fcc says ok to fly but yet DJI says you need to ask for permission and restrict the drone drastically. To make matters worse we all know when we are flying it is usually in a area with no service, so in order to obtain permission you must make 6 hour drive back first. Why does DJI choose to create their own unnecessary blocks. If I wanted to be restricted to 1200 ft out and 300 up, I could have acomplished That with a $30 knock off drone.image.jpg

DJI is ruining the hobby with their ridiculous restrictions, even in areas where the uav forcast says ok to fly, faa says ok to fly, fcc says ok to fly but yet DJI says you need to ask for permission and restrict the drone drastically. To make matters worse we all know when we are flying it is usually in a area with no service, so in order to obtain permission you must make 6 hour drive back first. Why does DJI choose to create their own unnecessary blocks. If I wanted to be restricted to 1200 ft out and 300 up, I could have acomplished That with a $30 knock off drone.View attachment 108779
While I agree with your point this area you have picked out doesn’t have any DJI fly safe zones.
6120745C-6CA0-432A-B937-3FCBB0140310.png

What you are showing is the range guide on UAV forecast. That can be adjusted in your UAV forecast settings

Reactions: jzilla80
Does not matter dji app would not let me fly from the shore i could nit fly to center of lake.
While I agree with your point this area you have picked out doesn’t have any DJI fly safe zones.
View attachment 108785

What you are showing is the range guide on UAV forecast. That can be adjusted in your UAV forecast settings

DJI is ruining the hobby with their ridiculous restrictions,
Agreed that that in a perfect world, we should not need SJI software to tell us where we can and cannot fly. In a perfect world the DJI zones would align perfectly with FAA controlled airspace. In a perfect world all drone pilots would act in a safe and responsible manner, know all the regulations, and not do whatever they want. Unfortunately the third one is never going to happen, and thus we have the first one.

If you don't like the restrictions (which in this case may not even apply) then go with a different brand. If you stick with DJI then learn how the system works and prepare in advance for any of these situations.

even in areas where the uav forcast says ok to fly
UAV forecast is basically a weather app. It may or may not be accurate when it comes to controlled airspace restrictions. It is not a definitive source of information.

faa says ok to fly
This may be true in this case, but what source are you using to determine this? UAV forecast is not the correct source to determine where and when you are allowed to fly.

fcc says ok to fly
The FCC? The FCC has no jurisdiction over airspace. I don't know how this comes into play here.

To make matters worse we all know when we are flying it is usually in a area with no service
I don't believe "we all know" this at all. In today's world, I have cell coverage almost everywhere. However, it is true that in some areas (like where you are apparently) there is no cell coverage. In those cases you need to prepare in advance and unlock the DJI zone in advance, while you are at home with Internet capability. The process takes a few minutes but is simple.

Why does DJI choose to create their own unnecessary blocks.
This is due to pilots that take no time to read and understand the regulations and/or decide they can do whatever they want. Add to that the fact that a reckless UAS pilot can cause great amounts of damage and that we live in a society where people will sue over any little thing, and we have this situation. DJI is protecting itself from lawsuits.

If I wanted to be restricted to 1200 ft out and 300 up, I could have acomplished That with a $30 knock off drone.
Perhaps something else is at play here? A DJI no fly zone would typically not even let you take off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom