DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upcoming to US/Canada border

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
We'll be staying in Limestone, Maine, for about 3.5 weeks starting in mid-February. I have two questions:

1) Are there spots nearby in Canada that I should consider flying and taking photographs?
(a bit SW of Grand Falls NB.)

2) Is it a big bother for a US 107 pilot to fly in Canada?

Thx,
Jon

According to the link, if you have a drone that is less than 250 grams, no special permission is needed but have to follow basic flight rules.

Maybe purchase a Mini aircraft, use it, and then sell it when finished.

Or keep it to increase your fleet. :)

Well, I have a Mini 2 which is no longer legal in the US (thanks to RID).

However, after re-reading the link, it seems I'd still need to get my SFOC-RPAS. And they'll reject any application for one less than 30 working days out. That translates to 6 weeks, so I'm out of luck anyway.

However, after re-reading the link, it seems I'd still need to get my SFOC-RPAS. And they'll reject any application for one less than 30 working days out. That translates to 6 weeks, so I'm out of luck anyway.
You can fly your Mini 2 in Canada as long as you do not add anything to it to bring it above 250g. In Canada you do not have to register a sub 250g drone or obtain a Pilot's licence to fly it. There are rules that you still have to follow but basically they are don't be stupid. Look on the TC website linked above and find the area for micro drones for all the information you will need. Also here is a good website that gives you most of the information you will need.

Also there is no RID in Canada at the present time.

Chris

You can fly your Mini 2 in Canada as long as you do not add anything to it to bring it above 250g. In Canada you do not have to register a sub 250g drone or obtain a Pilot's licence to fly it. There are rules that you still have to follow but basically they are don't be stupid. Look on the TC website linked above and find the area for micro drones for all the information you will need. Also here is a good website that gives you most of the information you will need.

Also there is no RID in Canada at the present time.

Chris
Nice one Chris. The conclusion at the end needs spelling out from time to time and I will quote it here from Colin:

Drone Police

"So why did I really write this article? This was clearly a lot of work, research, and headache to get it as detailed as it is. The truth is I own a Micro Drone and in November 2020 I was being heavily harassed online for photos I was posting. Every photo I posted was taken legally, but others felt differently. I tried to educate the public and clear up any miscommunications but no one was listening. I was being quoted laws for different countries, individuals saying the basic drone tool applied to all drones, saying physical signs existed stating “no drone zone” in areas it didn’t, pilots being salty I was even somewhat close to an aerodrome after admitting they didn’t understand the drone laws. I was threatened, identity posted online, and even reported to Transport Canada. I ended up having to post an entire thread to Reddit condoning the behavior of others.

In the end, Transport Canada’s response to my photos was “Regarding your picture.....Nice.” NAV Canada also had no problem with the photos I took. In fact, almost everything in this post including my photos I personally sent to Transport Canada to get clarification I was understanding it correctly. In the end, they said even I was being more restrictive than is outlined by the regulations. I was threatened for legally taking a picture.

People really like being drone police without any prior knowledge for the job.

It’s important you understand the regulations around your Micro Drone because people will not hold back, and they will report you. Whether you’re right or wrong. They’ll argue to death to prove their right. Your defense is knowledge, and keeping within the rules outlined in this article. Bookmark it, if someone starts lashing out at you—link them here. This is a resource I plan on keeping updated for exactly this purpose."

Reactions: CadrePilot

No SFOC required, only for 250 grams or more

Well, I have a Mini 2 which is no longer legal in the US (thanks to RID)…
I see that @CadrePilot lists a Pt. 107 certification and profession as insurance adjuster - their statement about the Mini 2 no longer being legal is only true in specific situations; flying under Pt. 107.

* All drones flown under Pt. 107 must be registered. All drones required to be registered must have RID. DJI has not offered native RID firmware for the Mini 2. A Mini 2 can no longer be used for Pt. 107 operations, unless…

* A Mini 2 can support RID through use of an external RID broadcast module, at a cost of $90-300 USD, and would then be usable in Pt. 107. It and its module would need to be registered as required for Pt. 107 operations.

* An unmodified Mini 2 remains legal for recreational flying under Section 44809 in the U.S. because it is under 250g in weight, and is therefore not required to be registered.

I see that @CadrePilot lists a Pt. 107 certification and profession as insurance adjuster - their statement about the Mini 2 no longer being legal is only true in specific situations; flying under Pt. 107.

* All drones flown under Pt. 107 must be registered. All drones required to be registered must have RID. DJI has not offered native RID firmware for the Mini 2. A Mini 2 can no longer be used for Pt. 107 operations, unless…

* A Mini 2 can support RID through use of an external RID broadcast module, at a cost of $90-300 USD, and would then be usable in Pt. 107. It and its module would need to be registered as required for Pt. 107 operations.

* An unmodified Mini 2 remains legal for recreational flying under Section 44809 in the U.S. because it is under 250g in weight, and is therefore not required to be registered.
Thanks for the clarification.

We'll be staying in Limestone, Maine, for about 3.5 weeks starting in mid-February. I have two questions:

1) Are there spots nearby in Canada that I should consider flying and taking photographs?
(a bit SW of Grand Falls NB.)

2) Is it a big bother for a US 107 pilot to fly in Canada?

Thx,
Jon
If you plan on doing your flight in a reasonable and responsible matter which I am sure you will , I wouldn’t worry too much about it in the Atlantic Provinces, I have been flying for years, totally legal, but no one cares here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13