DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upcomng trip to the Smokies

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-
Well, I'm getting my fly fishing stuff put together, my digital cameras all lined up and ready, and of course, now I am taking at least one Mini 2 with me. Going up to Silva, North Carolina to do field research for an article assignment- I do so love nice travel trips that someone else pays for!
I think there's a chance that I might get some superb and usable aerial photos, and I even hope to be able to get some shots of the elk up there.
I will have to be careful where I fly- a lot of that country is federal lands, and we don't fly from federal lands, and there probably will not be non-federal land close enough for take off to do fly overs.
I'll just have to see what I see- I'll let you all know how it goes.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

You have the right approach to take along your hand-held camera. Just because you have a drone it doesn't mean it's your best camera to use for all videos.
As for where the fly the B4UFly is probable the best web site to start for information.
For videos, plan your video story in advance so your final video is not just a bunch of video clips. Make your story interesting and then include appropriate videos (hand-held camera or drone) to make the story happen. The videos of your story should follow the story timeline.
On federal lands there will a lot of opportunities for hand-hand videos; you just need to be creative in how and where your hold the camera. When panning make sure the movement is slow rotation.
You can record some live comments on a separate device to add to the final video

Good morning to all-
Well, I'm getting my fly fishing stuff put together, my digital cameras all lined up and ready, and of course, now I am taking at least one Mini 2 with me. Going up to Silva, North Carolina to do field research for an article assignment- I do so love nice travel trips that someone else pays for!
I think there's a chance that I might get some superb and usable aerial photos, and I even hope to be able to get some shots of the elk up there.
I will have to be careful where I fly- a lot of that country is federal lands, and we don't fly from federal lands, and there probably will not be non-federal land close enough for take off to do fly overs.
I'll just have to see what I see- I'll let you all know how it goes.

Not all federal lands are off limits to drones. National Parks and Wilderness Areas are. As @FLDave said, check the B4YouFly app.

(Try a gold bead-head nymph.)

Good afternoon to all-
If I do any videos, they will be for my personal enjoyment only- I don't post videos much at all.
For still shots, those will all be for publication, so... I will use my many years of experience to get good angles and so on.
I really do hope I get some good drone shots, though. such an interesting change of point of view for most subjects, I've found.

Spent a lot of years in the area back in the 50s and 60s. Great spot for drones, although when I was there there were no drones! Still have a couple of acres near Waynesville NC.

Here in Arizona we also have a lot of wilderness areas. While National Parks are generally No-Fly zones, wilderness areas are not. Just no motorized vehicles on the ground, so no launching, recovery, or operation from inside the wilderness area. Flying over is OK.

Here is the write up from one of the National Forrest websites: "

Wilderness Areas​

Drones cannot launch from, land in, or be operated from a designated Wilderness Area. This does not mean drones cannot fly over a Wilderness Area, but there are a couple of considerations you should take as a drone operator in that case. Designated Wilderness Areas are places people specifically seek out for the solitude and quiet they provide. Please be respectful and fly high enough (up to 400 feet) to respect the tranquility that should be reserved for Wilderness Areas."

Same rules for the county park very close to my house. Great place to fly over. We do not have trees over 50' or so here in the desert. Flying at 100' or 200' and not much danger of hitting anything.

Enjoy the trip! Beautiful area. Don't pet the bears...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki