DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

It's my understanding unlocking blue no-fly zones will be available late December. Not sure why late December is so special, but in any event, has there been any word on a specific day in December?

It's my understanding unlocking blue no-fly zones will be available late December. Not sure why late December is so special, but in any event, has there been any word on a specific day in December?

I ordered and received a mavic mini about two weeks ago, it sits under my Christmas tree unopened, if some one in these posts doesn't post that DJI has updated the app by January 1, it's going back, I bought it from Adorama and they will accept returns till the last of January.

I thought I had this figured out until just now. I live somewhere *just* around 5 miles as the bird flies from a county airport. I have a Mavic Air and Spark now and am able to fly around my neighborhood, but only after I click a box accepting responsibility for flying there. I did not have to go through the process of unlocking, even thought it appears that I am withing the blue radius of an airport requiring "self unlocking." I've had to unlock before in order to fly near an airport at a resort while on vacation so I know what that process looks like.

I was pretty sure I would not be able to fly the Mini in my neighborhood until DJI releases the updated we've been hearing about for "late December." But, now I am starting to wonder whether I've been misreading the restrictions in my area. Can someone that is confident in their understanding of how that restrictions work in particular areas give an opinion on whether I will be able to fly around the area of Lexington Parkway, Schenectady, NY??

Last edited:
Only restriction due to the airport is the runway approach path, which is a blue authorization zone.. You're quite a ways east of that so you're good.

You can always go to flysafe.dji.com if you want to check in the future

That's great news and helps me confirm that I am now understanding the site. Thanks!!!

That's great news and helps me confirm that I am now understanding the site. Thanks!!!

if you have a mini, please let us know if you can fly, I've heard so many different things I'm really confused, I can fly my other DJI drones where I live, but as I said on a previous post my mini is still in the wrapper, just waiting on DJI to up date the app for the mini.

if you have a mini, please let us know if you can fly, I've heard so many different things I'm really confused, I can fly my other DJI drones where I live, but as I said on a previous post my mini is still in the wrapper, just waiting on DJI to up date the app for the mini.
Absolutely will do. Crossing my fingers that Santa recognizes what a good boy I've been this year. ;-) Still hoping for a firmware update that allows control of the MM via phone only. I'm really struggling with the *need* for a remote controller. It seems so counter-intuitive if this is supposed to be the ultaportable/travel friendly flying camera.

Which authorities are you referring to?
I wouldn't hand over anything to anybody but the Police (and only against a proper receipt). If airport security were the ones to demand the copter off me I guess I was a fair bit too close to the airport anyway ;) (and even they would alert the Police for law enforcement tasks)
Living close to a bigger airport I was aware of the NFZ before I bought the Mini. The only downside is that I can't (yet?) fly indoors, but that doesn't really bother me - I have legal flying spots within 10 minutes by bike or car, so what.

Overall it would of course have been a clever move of DJI to have that authorization page sorted out before launching the Mini, but it seems marketing dept had a stronger say than the technicians here.... (and the overall sales figures will probably prove them right, even considering the disappointed returns)

Seems we are all suffering from the frustration on the issue and DJI's lack of transparency about not only the issue, but when it will be cured. If I were to take the stance in my profession as DJI has regarding "late December" if I would've survived the lack of transparency, I'd be in deep for not stating a cure date for the problem.

For clarity, I am able to fly my P3 in my neighborhood by simply agreeing to the location and being aware of the warning. I never considered that my new DJI drone would be limited in the same airspace.

Thanks,

Mark
Im in the same sitiation as you are except I sold my P3 to buy my Mavic Mini ?

I was pretty sure I would not be able to fly the Mini in my neighborhood until DJI releases the updated we've been hearing about for "late December." But, now I am starting to wonder whether I've been misreading the restrictions in my area. Can someone that is confident in their understanding of how that restrictions work in particular areas give an opinion on whether I will be able to fly

As DanMan32 pointed out you can check the site, however if your phone does have internet access, you just start the DJI fly App and click on the left up corner where you see "Enhanced Warning Zones".

DJY_Fly_Warning_Zones.png

A map will open, with your current location and every zone that is around you. I cannot find a simpler way of doing it.

I wish I would have seen this thread before buying the Mavic Mini over the weekend. I was all excited when UPS delivered it today. Unpacked everything, charged the batteries and I did all the firmware updates. Turned the remote on, turned the drone on and, nothing! Stupid red block on my iPhone screen telling me about the geo fencing no fly garbage.

I decide okay, I’ll drive down the road a couple miles and fly my new mini. Nope, still got the same NFZ message on the Dji app. I thought to myself, this is insane. I just spent over $500 on something that I can’t even use because there’s a hospital that easily five miles from where I was trying to fly. Good God Dji, you really know how to make people mad.

I couldn’t even fly my new mini inside my own house. Tried that too with the same annoying message on the app. Well, the jokes on Dji because they’re getting another open box drone returned to them really soon.

I wish I would have seen this thread before buying the Mavic Mini over the weekend. I was all excited when UPS delivered it today. Unpacked everything, charged the batteries and I did all the firmware updates. Turned the remote on, turned the drone on and, nothing! Stupid red block on my iPhone screen telling me about the geo fencing no fly garbage.

I decide okay, I’ll drive down the road a couple miles and fly my new mini. Nope, still got the same NFZ message on the Dji app. I thought to myself, this is insane. I just spent over $500 on something that I can’t even use because there’s a hospital that easily five miles from where I was trying to fly. Good God Dji, you really know how to make people mad.

I couldn’t even fly my new mini inside my own house. Tried that too with the same annoying message on the app. Well, the jokes on Dji because they’re getting another open box drone returned to them really soon.

I have one still in the box, never opened under my Christmas tree, I have till the end of January to return it, with free return. If DJI doesn't get this NFZ straightened out by the middle of January, DJI will get another one back.

I dunno, folks. We're now heading into "Late December." Who wants to wager on December 23rd as the over/under?

Is DJI really going to allow little Johnny to open the up his new drone that Santa brought him and NOT be able to use it Christmas morning?

Thank you SO much for your post!

I live a few blocks inside Class D airspace near downtown Sacramento. Setting up for my first flight. Restricted airspace. OK, no problem. I registered for LAANC, got approval, went outside to fly. Nope. Back inside, search for a solution, nothing. I felt like an idiot.... and now I finally discover there IS no solution but to wait for a firmware upgrade. I could have gone to a park down the street outside the zone, but what the hell???? I wanted to fly in my yard. It seems DJI could have saved us all a lot of trouble by just mentioning this limitation somewhere (but maybe that would hurt sales?) Thanks again.
Does anyone know if foil wrapped on the top will help block the GPS signal?

I dunno, folks. We're now heading into "Late December." Who wants to wager on December 23rd as the over/under?

Is DJI really going to allow little Johnny to open the up his new drone that Santa brought him and NOT be able to use it Christmas morning?

Yep, I'm sure of it, if DJI unlocks the NFZs, little Johnny, will run out side, Christmas morning, and if he's near an airport, put his new toy up in the air and fly hither shiter out of control, all over the place and could fly directly in the flight path of an airliner. DJI smart move, by January 1, little Johnny's parents will take the drones back because they won't take off, and little Johnny will be happy with a computer game. and at that time DJI will modify the app.
JUST MY TWO CENTS

Reactions: blakamin
Does anyone know if foil wrapped on the top will help block the GPS signal?
Would you mind posting a screen capture of what DJI Fly looks like when you tap the icon on the upper left corner? I live just inside a Class D area but, according to DJI Fly, I am in a "Warning Zone." I understood that to mean I was OK to fly because I wasn't inside of the path DJI Fly shows me as the NFZ.

Attached are screen captures from DJI Fly and Airmap. I was under the belief that I would have no problem. Now I am really confused.

Attachments

• Airmap.jpg
    Airmap.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DJI Fly.jpg
    DJI Fly.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 37
Yep, I'm sure of it, if DJI unlocks the NFZs, little Johnny, will run out side, Christmas morning, and if he's near an airport, put his new toy up in the air and fly hither shiter out of control, all over the place and could fly directly in the flight path of an airliner. DJI smart move, by January 1, little Johnny's parents will take the drones back because they won't take off, and little Johnny will be happy with a computer game. and at that time DJI will modify the app.
JUST MY TWO CENTS
R2........ you nailed it ?Merry Christmas

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11