DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

This is the reason why I'm about to return my Mavic Mini this weekend. I live like five miles from a hospital and I can't fly my mini nowhere near my home's area. I never had any issues with my past Dji drones....

This is the reason why I'm about to return my Mavic Mini this weekend. I live like five miles from a hospital and I can't fly my mini nowhere near my home's area. I never had any issues with my past Dji drones....

There's a promised firmware update coming near the end of the month that will enable unlocking.

Recently my mavic mini arrived, it was one night, I put the batteries to charge everything of the drone and on this night I try to take off but I never thought that at night the drone was going to go to my sides (I am a very noob pilot in this ) I am in an "Enhanced Warning Zones" and then when I saw that I was disappointed because I thought I could not take off the Mavic mini, the next day in the morning I went to the park where I live and let me take off I shot the warning that I have to lift the restrictions but instead of giving him to lift the area or unlock it, he would cancel it and let me fly as if I were in a normal area but the problem turned out that when I wanted to update the point of origin I did not left. Is it normal for me to take off in this area?
I am almost sure that DJI is going to release the firmware on December 24 since many people may want to record the fireworks when it is 12 o'clock at night (I mean, already on December 25) I hope they take it out earlier because at least I want burn fireworks

Patience little cricket, DJI is a wear that there will be many new young folks with these quads, and are trying to prevent the uneducated that flying near an airport that comes with some responsibilities, those that are impatient, and won't read instructions will return their quads. those that know that DJI "will" update the app shortly after Christmas, will wait for the update.
JUST MY TWO CENTS

Has any definite date announced for the update to be released? Only few days left in December.

Would you mind posting a screen capture of what DJI Fly looks like when you tap the icon on the upper left corner? I live just inside a Class D area but, according to DJI Fly, I am in a "Warning Zone." I understood that to mean I was OK to fly because I wasn't inside of the path DJI Fly shows me as the NFZ.

Attached are screen captures from DJI Fly and Airmap. I was under the belief that I would have no problem. Now I am really confused.
If the blue dot in your screenshot of Fly is where you are, you should be OK. To the left is blue "authorization zone" that requires unlock. To the right appears to be grey altitude zone which limits your altitude.
Note that's referring to enabling the Mini to fly. That does not make you legal if flying in controlled airspace. You need LAANC for that.

Thanks. It is pretty remarkable how little there is out there speaking to flying the Mini in Warning and Enhanced Warning zones. I just cannot seem to get a solid answer to this. If only that airport was on LAANC, my first-world problem would be solved.

Thanks. It is pretty remarkable how little there is out there speaking to flying the Mini in Warning and Enhanced Warning zones. I just cannot seem to get a solid answer to this. If only that airport was on LAANC, my first-world problem would be solved.
Join the club, separating the wheat from the chaff, is most exasperating, keep going, you will get it sorted out, (OLD SAYING), quitters never win, winners never quit. Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out. lots of luck, hang in there you will get it sorted out.

Note that getting approval from FAA through LAANC does not unlock DJI geofencing. They are separate systems. One makes you legal with FAA to fly in controlled airspace, the other attempts to prevent flying in risky areas, and not just in controlled airspace.
Some other areas included in geofencing:
TFR/NOTAMs
Small airports and their runway approach path
Prisons
See DJI's geomap which is accessible through the Fly app first page upper left, and https://flysafe.dji.com

I got my mini up in the air, even when the app said I was in a no fly zone, as of now, I believe I like my spark a lot better than the mini, time will tell after I have flown the mini some more. and DJI releases the litchi app to work with the mini. Sorry DJI the spark is a better drone all around so far, except the low flight time of the spark, GrRRR.

I just got my Mavic mini today, and can not fly it anywhere in my city because my WHOLE little city is in the Blue Zone (our airport is located in center of my city). This is a joke...

I just got my Mavic mini today, and can not fly it anywhere in my city because my WHOLE little city is in the Blue Zone (our airport is located in center of my city). This is a joke...
sad,---------- hopefully DJI will get this straightened out soon. if not there will be a lot of drones returned.

All of us that are in a blue zone are in the same boat...hopefully an updste comes soon ?

All of us that are in a blue zone are in the same boat...hopefully an updste comes soon ?
There will be a mad rush back to the dealers now that it's after Christmas and many, many of the Christmas mini's that won't fly "will" be flying back to the dealers for a return because they won't fly. there will be a lot of minis for sale at a discount, hang in there you might be able to pick one up real cheap. the longer you wait the cheaper they will get. I'm going to guess that there will be thousands of disappointed mini owners out there.

In theory we are hours or days away from a solution to this. It blows my mind that DJI didn't get this done before Christmas morning. Oyez!

Believe it or not, I picked up my Mini Fly More Combo a couple of days before Christmas from a kind fellow on Criagslist who apparently got 2 for Christmas. Although Fly More Combos were impossible to find anywhere in stock in my area, this guy sold me one in a sealed package direct from DJI, with Care Refresh, for $450. No tax or shipping obviously. He even met me 5 minutes from my office. Winning!!!

Reactions: Th3DroneroGT
In theory we are hours or days away from a solution to this. It blows my mind that DJI didn't get this done before Christmas morning. Oyez!

Believe it or not, I picked up my Mini Fly More Combo a couple of days before Christmas from a kind fellow on Criagslist who apparently got 2 for Christmas. Although Fly More Combos were impossible to find anywhere in stock in my area, this guy sold me one in a sealed package direct from DJI, with Care Refresh, for $450. No tax or shipping obviously. He even met me 5 minutes from my office. Winning!!!

I must have a fluke, just flew mine in the street in front of my house, I live in one of those dreaded NFZs , I'm about 3 miles from a national airport, flew for about 10 minutes, no problems, flew great.

The other really frustrating thing about the Mini is (lack of) support for many Android devices...many Android phones/tablets that have been running DJI GO/GO4 (which is actually MORE complex) with more features cannot run DJI Fly because they aren’t 64-bit systems..or do not support 64-bit instruction sets.

The logic escapes me why their simplest drone requires the most powerful Android mobile devices...there will likely be returns because of that as well as the lack of GeoZone.

I can just hear the DJI folks in China...”Let’s make the consumer pay $399/499USD for a small, simple drone...then have to spend that amount or more again on a new phone.

Then let’s launch the product before Christmas without some essential features we’ve been giving our customers for years and once they discover what’s lacking we’ll promise an update with a fuzzy availability date just before we take 2 weeks off for Chinese New Year...”

BTW, unless you haven’t checked 2020 on the Chinese calendar is the Year of the Rat.

Coincidence? LOL

Reactions: Danr-62 and WooZie
First flight with my new Mini in a NFZ. Simply acknowledged responsibility and it flew no problems. It was indoors without GPS, ATTI mode only but it knew it was dead center of a Red Restricted NFZ (airport) and only asked me to acknowledge to fly. Not sure if the lack of GPS allowed it to fly or maybe they already fixed the software.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam the Slam