DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

Thank you for your responses. The screen capture is from the DJI site. All I entered was my device type, I clicked on the pin for the airport, I entered my RC serial number and starting date for the 3 day unlock code.

I have a lot of trouble understanding the colors sometimes as they appear tricky to me as translucent over a map color. Do you say this is an altitude description based on the grey outline color of the shape? I couldn’t see that color outline in the legend at the top of the map.

Well I was going to get one of these in late January but might look elsewhere now because I do not want to have to jump through hoops for the stupid FAA every time I want to go in my back yard and fly ten feet off the ground.This government crap is getting out of hand and it is starting to look like the Gestapo! I am to old to mess around bending over so the FAA can stick it to me! The old days of fun fly are gone now I used to fly my RC Helicopters in my back yard and now you cannot do that without the FAA approval now!
Correction, DJI has you locked out if flying not the FAA. In most instances, if DJI did not prevent motor start you could get proper authorization from the FAA to fly in controlled airspace. The new rules actually make it easier than in the past, because you do not have to notify airports, heliports, etc. that reside in Class G airspace. You only have to avoid interfering with manned aircraft.

Thank you for your responses. The screen capture is from the DJI site. All I entered was my device type, I clicked on the pin for the airport, I entered my RC serial number and starting date for the 3 day unlock code.

I have a lot of trouble understanding the colors sometimes as they appear tricky to me as translucent over a map color. Do you say this is an altitude description based on the grey outline color of the shape? I couldn’t see that color outline in the legend at the top of the map.

The colors ARE hard to decode with the satellite overlay.

I found your area of operation:

29358fc4e5f70b49abad66cad8f5d519.jpg

It is an altitude limitation zone.
Also, as an advisory - please check local regulations before you fly:

Last edited:
If the screen shot Scottalmas posted is from the Geo Zone system it appears to be an ‘altitude zone’...in which only altitude is limited.
You’ll get warnings from the GO 4 app but should be able to fly up to a preset altitude in the unlock...

The only caveat is when you requested an unlock did you specify a takeoff area and a specific radius or corridor for your operation? If so you may be limited to that requested area - please go back and review your request.

You could always amend/resubmit the request to include the golf course.

Looks like that area is part of the approach/departure path to a runway....hence the shape of that zone.

Currently, Mavic mini will not take off in Red and Blue zones, you will be prompted for self authorization in Blue and you will get the message it failed. I don't think you will be able to ever able to self authorize red zone, DJI will have to do it.

All other areas, orange, and grey you can fly without problems but eg grey watch the altitude. 60 and 150m depending on how far from the airport you are.

I live 10m from the border of Blue zone, have to go to the neighbor to take of :) If I decided to fly into Blue I'm getting the message, Restricted zone please leave promptly, AC will land in 90 Seconds. So you have time to move a few meters away. I can't even start inside the house.

It's the FC serial number you enter, not the RC serial number.

I feel you, tech support from the flysafe email you can find are really helpful. I have a raaf base not far from me so i expected a hiccup or two with the new app/firmware runnin these lil beauties. First i hooked everything up sweet and find the fly app wont run through an android tablet which didnt bother me. I then couldnt unlock the zone i wanted again expected but you can do it unless you're on a pc either. Imagine this mess out and about for a day, so i hit up fly safe and you got it brother. A no go till the update late december. Not even a little taste around the house or yard.

Another app update came down the Play pipe today.
Version 1.0.3 build 516. Fixed additional compatibility issues.

Note that Play won't show updated details until you run Fly and it unpacks it's updates.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if DJI did it on purpose to stop new flyers (like myself) from being able to fly in these restriced areas...a way of appeasing authorities.... in any case, lets see what happens in 'late' December....

or ‘cause they know that the MM still is buggy so they wanna iron that out before unlocking it.

or they just wanna stay on the safe side and avoid any vendor liability claims coming from wrong use. Better safe than sorry.....

To fly indoors in a NFZ you need to block the GPS receiver. Place tinfoil over the top rear portion. Anything you can do to block it gaining its location. You will also need to turn location services off on your phone. You will not have god positioning or RTH when you do this but I really don’t think anyone is going to be flying in a home big enough to need either of these.

Doesn't work with just tinfoil over the top rear of the mini I still get very weak gps signal and message in Authorization Zone. Location services turned off on phone

Doesn't work with just tinfoil over the top rear of the mini I still get very weak gps signal and message in Authorization Zone. Location services turned off on phone
Take the MM and the phone outside of the NFZ and power them up with location services on and get to the point where you are ready to fly (might as well fly while you are there). Make sure you turn off location services on the phone before returning home. Then try using the foil and attempt the indoor flight.

Should also work with Fake GPS enabled on the phone and GPS Antenna completely covered (in several layers of foil). The Italian guy testing the FCC Version proved that this does work.

Should also work with Fake GPS enabled on the phone and GPS Antenna completely covered (in several layers of foil). The Italian guy testing the FCC Version proved that this does work.

I tested this inside my house and it did work. I strongly suggest using the prop guards as I had two indoor "flyaways" where it just veered on its own and slammed into a wall.

I elected it was not worth it to fly inside. But if you have DJI Care, at least you'll have the pieces to exchange for a refurbished unit.

Take the MM and the phone outside of the NFZ and power them up with location services on and get to the point where you are ready to fly (might as well fly while you are there). Make sure you turn off location services on the phone before returning home. Then try using the foil and attempt the indoor flight.

Well I followed exactly what you said went out the NFZ calibrated everything, location services on, short flight cause it was too windy. Packed up turned off location services while still in the park, returned to home in the Blue Zone and attempted to fly indoors with the tin foil over the rear of my MM again with exactly the same results.
I can take off but shortly after take off message in "Authorization Zone appears and landing in 90 seconds" with weak GPS signal still being received.

I have read other people say tin foil doesn't work on this forum I agree 100%
Have now ordered a RF phone signal blocker pouch off ebay and will re-engineer as a rear cover for my MM and hopefully block all GPS signals this way

Well I followed exactly what you said went out the NFZ calibrated everything, location services on, short flight cause it was too windy. Packed up turned off location services while still in the park, returned to home in the Blue Zone and attempted to fly indoors with the tin foil over the rear of my MM again with exactly the same results.
I can take off but shortly after take off message in "Authorization Zone appears and landing in 90 seconds" with weak GPS signal still being received.

I have read other people say tin foil doesn't work on this forum I agree 100%
Have now ordered a RF phone signal blocker pouch off ebay and will re-engineer as a rear cover for my MM and hopefully block all GPS signals this way
Time to give DJI a piece of your mind for blocking you from flying in your home.

What is confirmed by this, is that the GPS from the MM is used in the determination of being in an NFZ and not just the phone/tablet location since it’s last known location should have been where you were flying.

I also believe that you did only cover a portion off your drone with tinfoil and it was not enough.

The Italian who did the fcc hack had a hat that did cover a lot of the drone. I found a picture of how it looked. Key takeaway is that you need zero gps coverage to fly over there.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 54

I am sooo disappointed in the lack of being able to unlock a blue zone (no fly zone). I am currently unable to fly at home and when I recently attended a wedding over a 100 miles from my home, I evidently entered a new locked blue zone. I had intentions of shooting some aerial video for the bride and groom of their special day. So frustrating to have to travel to an unknown area to fly due to a software issue!

I sure hope the fix is coming soon...

Thanks,

Mark

I am sooo disappointed in the lack of being able to unlock a blue zone (no fly zone). I am currently unable to fly at home and when I recently attended a wedding over a 100 miles from my home, I evidently entered a new locked blue zone. I had intentions of shooting some aerial video for the bride and groom of their special day. So frustrating to have to travel to an unknown area to fly due to a software issue!

I sure hope the fix is coming soon...

Thanks,

Mark
When all those that received the MN for Christmas try to fly their drones and they can't (me included) there will be a lot of MN for sale, or returned.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky