DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update Home Point -DJI RC controller

inkytog

Reactions
I keep seeing videos that say you have to connect to a phone hotspot if you need to dynamically update the home point on the DJI RC.
They say it's so it can download the map and then update the home point.

Is this correct? Why does it need cellular data to update the home point? The GPS is working on the drone and in the controller and it surely knows the co-ordinates of the GPS location.

WE may not have the map downloaded but surely the drone doesn't need the map for the return to home - it flies back to the GPS settings you have set?
What am I missing?

@inkytog for you to be able to update the home point the drone needs to be in flight ,touch the 3 white dots at the top left of the screen ,and choose safety there you will see update home point if you do that, the home point will be wherever the drone is at that moment and thats where it will return to in the event of a RTH being triggered ,this is useful if you are walking with the drone ,and you dont want it to go back to your original take off point ,as i said the option to update the home point will not be visible ,until you have taken off and then moved some distance from the original home point ,dont forget also, to make sure that if you do reset the home point that the area below the drone is suitable for it to land on

Heya.
Yeah it’s not my first drone at all but I was surprised by this information to connect to a data source and then update home point.

I think they’re confusing the idea with the fact they will need to download the map and if they want to see the home point on the map then I can see why a data connection is needed on the DJI RC.

Otherwise. Total misinformation.

Reactions: crash3x
Heya.
Yeah it’s not my first drone at all but I was surprised by this information to connect to a data source and then update home point.

I think they’re confusing the idea with the fact they will need to download the map and if they want to see the home point on the map then I can see why a data connection is needed on the DJI RC.

They're probably need the satellite imagery layer to be able to understand the location information. Some people just don't relate to maps. And GPS coordinates? Not at all.

They're probably need the satellite imagery layer to be able to understand the location information. Some people just don't relate to maps. And GPS coordinates? Not at all.
They don’t need to. They are being told to connect to a data service over cellular or Wi-Fi and then update the home point. The information is incorrect. The drone does not care if the maps are cached. It will return to the home point once set. You don’t need Wi-Fi or cellular connected to do this.

Reactions: crash3x
I can confirm. RTH and home point update work without a cached map. At least I think I can. With a good cell hotspot, Wi-Fi and BT on, drone aloft or landed with motors on or off, I could not get maps to download this morning On first flight after refreshing all my firmware and software for other reasons.

I tested RTH, updating home point, forced RTH for low battery. They all worked. The M3P never landed on the pad, but was always within a couple feet with about 29-31 satellites.

Mike107

Reactions: Nickyb65
They don’t need to. They are being told to connect to a data service over cellular or Wi-Fi and then update the home point. The information is incorrect. The drone does not care if the maps are cached. It will return to the home point once set. You don’t need Wi-Fi or cellular connected to do this.
I agree with you that the drone doesn't need maps to find the home point. I meant that the people operating the drone can't relate to the home point without seeing it with a map or satellite image displayed behind it.

I agree with you that the drone doesn't need maps to find the home point. I meant that the people operating the drone can't relate to the home point without seeing it with a map or satellite image displayed behind it.
with the Mini 3 Pro and Fly app data updates (2.6.8 and 01.00.0201 for M3P and 01.01.0000 for RC controller) I not only don't have maps, but there is no Home Point in the map box, no indicator for where the aircraft is in relation to the controller, and no RTH icon on the controller screen. If that is what people are experiencing, I'll admit I do find it disconcerting and even less safe. If the aircraft somehow ends up in a new place--say you've had your face in the controller to change exposure settings, and is now hard to visually reacquire, the map feature is of no help.

It can fly, it can come home if you use the RTH/Pause button on the RC, but it is less than optimal and hardly desirable
If anyone knows how to fix this situation, let me know!
Mike107

with the Mini 3 Pro and Fly app data updates (2.6.8 and 01.00.0201 for M3P and 01.01.0000 for RC controller) I not only don't have maps, but there is no Home Point in the map box, no indicator for where the aircraft is in relation to the controller, and no RTH icon on the controller screen. If that is what people are experiencing, I'll admit I do find it disconcerting and even less safe. If the aircraft somehow ends up in a new place--say you've had your face in the controller to change exposure settings, and is now hard to visually reacquire, the map feature is of no help.

It can fly, it can come home if you use the RTH/Pause button on the RC, but it is less than optimal and hardly desirable
If anyone knows how to fix this situation, let me know!
Mike107

I saw that happen once, just after doing a factory reset on the smart controller and installing the latest firmware for the drone and controller and Fly 1.6.8. The map display was solid white. I landed the drone and power cycled it and the controller and connected the controller to wifi and waited three minutes. When I restarted, maps were displaying normally. I've done two flights since then and all is well. I had assumed that it was related to the controller reset. Maybe not.

Last edited:
If anyone else is having a persistent and complete loss of the Map function inside the Camera View Screen, I posted a message describing it and seeking input here.

Heya.

Agreed, I had the same concern from what I was reading online, seeing on YouTube etc. From what I gathered, all you need is a good GPS lock and your home point will always update right before you take off, you can also reset or move your home point if you move around a little bit.

The norm with mostly all drones, being a fairy experienced pitot as well I was a little confused like yourself by what I was seeing regarding the Mini 3 pro w/DJI RC

The maps Wifi is just that, if you want maps on the go you either load them up before you head out to your location over Wifi or have a hot spot so the DJI RC can update maps While you’re out & about.

Reactions: Nickyb65
Updating the Home Point to the DJI RC doesn't work at all, but DJI has chosen to implement it in a way that makes it appear it should work. When you attempt to update the Home Point, the option to update to the RC is presented. You then get a message saying you have to enable Location Services. There is no option to enable Location Services on the DJI RC. You can update to a point on a map, provided that is downloaded, as others have said but this is of little use on bodies of water, or remote cycling trails.

After 1 month of back and forth with DJI Support I got this message:

Greetings from DJI Technical Support.

First, I would like to apologize for the troubles and frustration that you experienced lately. I appreciate how difficult it is. Definitely, you are making perfect sense. Unfortunately, as per checking with the relevant team, the feature wherein the aircraft will return to the location of the RC is not available with the DJI Mini 3 Pro.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to get back in touch with us, we are always here to help. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day!
Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,
NA Technical Support Team

Using the DJI RC from a boat, cycling, or skiing or anything else you want to video that involves moving large distances is a non-starter. The DJI RC is presented as this great replacement for a phone but the truth is, it doesn't provide base functionality to ensure you don't lose your down. In my opinion anyway, DJI has created a very poor RC design.

Reactions: wisefish
Updating the Home Point to the DJI RC doesn't work at all,
I've experienced this on the first flight of my Mavic 3 Classic. (I know this is the mini 3 forum but same issue). First ever flight of new drone at a park away from home so no live internet connection on the DJI RC. Firmware wise everything was up to date and as I had been wandering around the park flying the drone I attempted to move the homepoint from where it took off to the current controller location and despite tapping the RC icon on the screen it wouldn't change. I couldn't move it by pressing somewhere on the (empty as I had never looked at the map view) map view either and no matter what I did I couldn't move the homepoint from the take-off spot. I created a hotspot on my phone and connected the RC to it and as soon as it connected I could move to homepoint to the RC location.
RTH worked fine to the new location so it does look as if you need to move the homepoint after taking off you either need to have a map cached or a live internet connection so it can fetch what it needs.

Of course this was just the first flight so it may well be some sort of anomaly but I have other DJI drones and was confident in the situation so I took a bit of time to go through the process logically and it was def not for working until I enabled an internet connection.

with regards to the home point being changed after take off,it needs the drone in flight, and to have flown some distance from the original home point after take off, before it can be changed to the drones current position ,what i do if i am moving from my original take off point ,is as the flight progresses,i will update the home point to the drones current position,when the drone is relatively close to my position ,so in the event of a RTH, i know it will be close by ,and not try to return to its original take off point ,off course this is not an issue if you stay at the original take off point ,none of the drones I fly have been used with a device that has a live cellular connection,
and i have never found this to be a problem ,I use a wifi only I Pad for my MPP and MM , and now the DJI RC controller ,for my Mini 3 pro ,if i decided to fly from continuously moving objects such as a vehicle or boat ,then i would use a device that had cellular connectivity built in and set the RTH to be the RC ,you just have to remember that the DJI RC disconnects wifi on first take off ,so if you are using a phone as a hot spot ,you will need to connect to it by turning on the wifi on the RC once you are airborne

with regards to the home point being changed after take off,it needs the drone in flight, and to have flown some distance from the original home point after take off, before it can be changed to the drones current position ,what i do if i am moving from my original take off point ,is as the flight progresses,i will update the home point to the drones current position,when the drone is relatively close to my position ,so in the event of a RTH, i know it will be close by ,and not try to return to its original take off point ,off course this is not an issue if you stay at the original take off point ,none of the drones I fly have been used with a device that has a live cellular connection,
and i have never found this to be a problem ,I use a wifi only I Pad for my MPP and MM , and now the DJI RC controller ,for my Mini 3 pro ,if i decided to fly from continuously moving objects such as a vehicle or boat ,then i would use a device that had cellular connectivity built in and set the RTH to be the RC ,you just have to remember that the DJI RC disconnects wifi on first take off ,so if you are using a phone as a hot spot ,you will need to connect to it by turning on the wifi on the RC once you are airborne
You don't need data to set HP to the controller position. It has GPS which is the necessary info to set HP. You only need data for updates and maps.

You don't need data to set HP to the controller position. It has GPS which is the necessary info to set HP. You only need data for updates and maps.

Well in my case I promise you it did. From the update home point screen tapping on the little controller icon (or the drone icon for that matter) did nothing. I stood exactly where I was and let the drone hover and enabled wifi and a hotspot and within a second or so it worked.
Now this may well be that the map view had never before had any sort of update as this was a first flight and I had never been in map view before while connected to my home wifi, or it may be because I had no map data for the location I was flying (map was just a white background with no info) but either way it didn't work until I connected data.

I suspect now I have maps in cache (or has at least some map data in the controller) it will work fine without internet connection but in the specific circumstances I described I am 100% certain I couldn't adjust the home point without internet.

Well in my case I promise you it did. From the update home point screen tapping on the little controller icon (or the drone icon for that matter) did nothing. I stood exactly where I was and let the drone hover and enabled wifi and a hotspot and within a second or so it worked.
Now this may well be that the map view had never before had any sort of update as this was a first flight and I had never been in map view before while connected to my home wifi, or it may be because I had no map data for the location I was flying (map was just a white background with no info) but either way it didn't work until I connected data.

I suspect now I have maps in cache (or has at least some map data in the controller) it will work fine without internet connection but in the specific circumstances I described I am 100% certain I couldn't adjust the home point without internet.
It can take a while for the RC to acquire GPS lock. No internet is needed. Just time.

Reactions: Aairon
You are
It can take a while for the RC to acquire GPS lock. No internet is needed. Just time.
I know that but you seem to be missing the point. I had GPS lock on both the drone and the RC as I had been flying for about 15 minutes I could clearly see the relationship between the drone, homepoint and RC on the blank map but under my very specific circumstances it didn't work until I connected to the internet.

If you don't believe me then tough. But that's what happened. I simply posted this so others don't fall into the same set of circumstances I did and potentially find themselves flying and unable to move the homepoint from somewhere that is no longer suitable.

Updating the Home Point to the DJI RC doesn't work at all, but DJI has chosen to implement it in a way that makes it appear it should work. When you attempt to update the Home Point, the option to update to the RC is presented. You then get a message saying you have to enable Location Services. There is no option to enable Location Services on the DJI RC. You can update to a point on a map, provided that is downloaded, as others have said but this is of little use on bodies of water, or remote cycling trails.

After 1 month of back and forth with DJI Support I got this message:

Greetings from DJI Technical Support.

First, I would like to apologize for the troubles and frustration that you experienced lately. I appreciate how difficult it is. Definitely, you are making perfect sense. Unfortunately, as per checking with the relevant team, the feature wherein the aircraft will return to the location of the RC is not available with the DJI Mini 3 Pro.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to get back in touch with us, we are always here to help. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day!
Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,
NA Technical Support Team

Using the DJI RC from a boat, cycling, or skiing or anything else you want to video that involves moving large distances is a non-starter. The DJI RC is presented as this great replacement for a phone but the truth is, it doesn't provide base functionality to ensure you don't lose your down. In my opinion anyway, DJI has created a very poor RC design.
I have an Air2S / DJI RC combo and am also not able to update the home point to the DJI RC location after takeoff. I get the same message saying I need to enable location services...which is not possible on the DJI RC. Not a big deal unless you move any distance from your takeoff location...which I am constantly doing. The DJI RC also lacks the ability to name/save hyperlapse waypoint missions. Which means that you need to build the mission and fly it in a single battery cycle. Weak sauce!! And lastly, the DJI RC internal antenna setup appears to be inferior to the RC-N1 controller's external antennas. My max flight range has been reduced about 30% on average and connectivity is glitchy resulting in delayed responses to stick inputs. These three issues are forcing me to consider sellling the DJI RC and investing in the RC Pro. Even though I'm having these issues with an Air2S, I've been hearing similar grumblings from the mini 3 Pro crowd. Hopefully a firmware update happens soon to fix issues 1 and 2. The only fix for issue 3 appears to be an antenna mod (my mod kit will be here in 2 days).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky