DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update Home Point -DJI RC controller

To be able to set the RTH point where you are with RC, you open the map and in the upper right corner you will find two icons, the lower one that illustrates RC, click on it, and then the button on RC for RTH. Now the drone does what you have specified in the instructions for RTH. The drone rises to the specified height, sets the direction to where you are with RC, and then it comes to you and starts to descend, now you can cancel the RTH operation with the red X on the screen and continue flying manually. Tried today, and everything works perfectly. Of course I have the latest FW and current map where I fly, no unnecessary connection to Wifi or anything else is needed.

Do you need to have actual map data displayed? For instance, if you don't have maps for where you're flying (white screen), then when you click on the RC icon the RTH point is updated to the current RC GPS location?

All this is on the Mini 3, right?

If it wasn't so cold, I'd go out and test this myself. :(

Reactions: TTP
My flight around zero celsius, cold fingers meant that I did not collect more data during the flight. But as a matter of fact no problem getting M3P to return to where I was with RC. As I always have an up-to-date map of the area I fly, I don't know what happens without a map.

Thanks. I'll try it myself when it warms up a little. It's minus 10C here.

Changing the RTH spot to be where the RC is currently located would be a good thing.

Thanks for the update.

with regards to the home point being changed after take off,it needs the drone in flight, and to have flown some distance from the original home point after take off, before it can be changed to the drones current position ,what i do if i am moving from my original take off point ,is as the flight progresses,i will update the home point to the drones current position,when the drone is relatively close to my position ,so in the event of a RTH, i know it will be close by ,and not try to return to its original take off point ,off course this is not an issue if you stay at the original take off point ,none of the drones I fly have been used with a device that has a live cellular connection,
and i have never found this to be a problem ,I use a wifi only I Pad for my MPP and MM , and now the DJI RC controller ,for my Mini 3 pro ,if i decided to fly from continuously moving objects such as a vehicle or boat ,then i would use a device that had cellular connectivity built in and set the RTH to be the RC ,you just have to remember that the DJI RC disconnects wifi on first take off ,so if you are using a phone as a hot spot ,you will need to connect to it by turning on the wifi on the RC once you are airborne
@old man mavic I am confused that you are talking about the Home Point updating to the drone's current location, but everyone else seems to be talking about updating the Home Point to the current location of the DJI RC? @hendersg I hope I understand correclty, this feature works absolutely fine for you as long as you connect the DJI RC to a phone via wifi after take-off? Do you happen to know if the phone itself actually needs to be connected with data e.g. 4G? I just ordered Mavic 3 classic to upgrade my Phantom 4 Advanced, will be flying from a moving boat in a remote island with no cellular reception, I do keep visual contact but ideally I like to update my home point as we go along so if I lose sicht or connection I know the drone will be hovering nearby - not flying all the way back to where we took off!

for the drone to return to the RCs current location it would need a screen device with cellular connection ,or be hot spotted to a cellular device which is actively connected to a network

for the drone to return to the RCs current location it would need a screen device with cellular connection ,or be hot spotted to a cellular device which is actively connected to a network
Not necessary. The RC has GPS, this is independent of any map. Data is not needed at all, just good GPS lock.

@old man mavic I am confused that you are talking about the Home Point updating to the drone's current location, but everyone else seems to be talking about updating the Home Point to the current location of the DJI RC? @hendersg I hope I understand correclty, this feature works absolutely fine for you as long as you connect the DJI RC to a phone via wifi after take-off? Do you happen to know if the phone itself actually needs to be connected with data e.g. 4G? I just ordered Mavic 3 classic to upgrade my Phantom 4 Advanced, will be flying from a moving boat in a remote island with no cellular reception, I do keep visual contact but ideally I like to update my home point as we go along so if I lose sicht or connection I know the drone will be hovering nearby - not flying all the way back to where we took off!
You can choose HP to be the drone position, RC position or choose a spot on the map. The last option is when you would need data for map updates.

@mobilehomer ,well i will try it out next time i go flying ,and see if it does indeed return to the RCs current position ,after i have moved away from the original take off point

I almost lost my brand new Mavic Pro I bought specifically for finding birds and fish offshore, the very first time I tried to use it on my boat. I bought that and the pro RC. Shortly into the flight, I tried to update homepoint to remote and could not. I used the on screen display to try to fly back to me and I had a hard time getting a visual. I eventually spotted it and was able to land but I was in panic mode the entire time after I could not update home point. I immediately put it all up for sale at a significant loss after that. This thread is about the time that this all took place. Anybody know if the issue has been solved? I would like to try again if there has been any updates so I can update homepoint without a data connection. I am usually far from shore so data is hit and miss so still a non starter for me if data is required to update home point.

I almost lost my brand new Mavic Pro I bought specifically for finding birds and fish offshore, the very first time I tried to use it on my boat. I bought that and the pro RC. Shortly into the flight, I tried to update homepoint to remote and could not. I used the on screen display to try to fly back to me and I had a hard time getting a visual. I eventually spotted it and was able to land but I was in panic mode the entire time after I could not update home point. I immediately put it all up for sale at a significant loss after that. This thread is about the time that this all took place. Anybody know if the issue has been solved? I would like to try again if there has been any updates so I can update homepoint without a data connection. I am usually far from shore so data is hit and miss so still a non starter for me if data is required to update home point.

Data service is not required to update the home point. But, don't rely on RTH when your home point is changing. Fly the drone back. Use the map screen. It plots the location of the drone and the controller in real time. Piece of cake.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan