DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update your Adobe software or else!!!!

I can see why Adobe are doing this but at the same time I genuinely can't see Dolby (or whoever this third party is) actually suing individual users although I can see it being an issue for large businesses.

I find the whole CC approach frustrating and an increasing problem for me now as I have an older standalone copy of Lightroom and there's a couple of cameras I'm considering that won't work with Lightroom so either I need to stump up for CC (which they've just doubled the price on), convert the files first or not buy them.

Seems like a shady way to scare people into using the Creative Cloud option, I need to look at my subscription price and make sure it has not doubled. I can justify the $10 a month on it, but $20 becomes tough when there can be times when I don't even use it for a month or two.

Reactions: hoggdoc and Woodoo
It seems the issue is between Dolby and Adobe, and as a result Adobe has no choice but to send that so they can't be accused of doing nothing to solve their own situation.

It also seems it would be affecting someone who is already paying for a CC subsctiption but doesn't apply updates, which would be a rare case since the whole point of subscriptions is to get rolling updates?

It seems the issue is between Dolby and Adobe, and as a result Adobe has no choice but to send that so they can't be accused of doing nothing to solve their own situation.

It also seems it would be affecting someone who is already paying for a CC subsctiption but doesn't apply updates, which would be a rare case since the whole point of subscriptions is to get rolling updates?

Yea but I’m sick of having to share my Mac with Adobe. If you go through your library folder Adobe infests every corner of your computer. I even stopped my subscription for awhile and tried to remove all things adobe and couldn’t. I still find Adobe CC 2015 files on my computer and my computer is newer than that ??

Seems like a shady way to scare people into using the Creative Cloud option, I need to look at my subscription price and make sure it has not doubled. I can justify the $10 a month on it, but $20 becomes tough when there can be times when I don't even use it for a month or two.

As I understand it the problem is only the CC versions of Adobe which Dolby have the issue with, if you're using an older standalone version it's fine. As someone has correctly pointed out above that shouldn't actually cost CC users anything as the latest version comes with their subscription but I can see it being a hassle for businesses if they've standardised on one version, scripted it for multiple installs etc.

Reactions: Kilrah
As someone has correctly pointed out above that shouldn't actually cost CC users anything as the latest version comes with their subscription

Right, I think I get an update every couple months or so. Just re-read the article, it's definitely odd, CC will tell you to update the software when you open the Creative Cloud app, but also if you go into one of the programs and an update is available it will also tell you there. You would have to constantly be ignoring those for it to become an issue, which as @Kilrah wrote above, since you are paying for a subscription, why would you ignore those updates since they typically have either security updates and / or additional features.

As I understand it the problem is only the CC versions of Adobe which Dolby have the issue with, if you're using an older standalone version it's fine. As someone has correctly pointed out above that shouldn't actually cost CC users anything as the latest version comes with their subscription but I can see it being a hassle for businesses if they've standardised on one version, scripted it for multiple installs etc.
Right on the older versions. At the office the company pays for CC and at home believe it or not CS6 is still cranking things out without a hitch. Thank goodness some of the market is going to Davinci Resolve!

Nope...I have had no subscriptions in over 30 years. No point in starting now
Subscriptions are the gift that keeps keep giving
So you're still using a version of Photoshop v1.0 from 1988?

Because major version updates every coupl'a years might be self-applied, but you're still adding cost to your original purchase. The last time I updated a pre-subscription version of PS or LR, it was $175 ... EACH — that's a lot of months of subscriptions (and all the advances that come with it).

And for $10 a month, I'm getting BOTH apps (PS and LR).

Obligatory On Topic (to the OP):

This notice Adobe sent out is nothing for us to worry about -- it's them covering their bases.

And the doubling of subscription price is not something that has hit most of us here -- there have been market tests in certain regions of the world they've tried, but they didn't go over well.

If anyone here can find a double charge on their credit card from Adobe (especially if it happened without them giving you notice), don't keep it to yourself. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Not that Adobe marketing hasn't been earning their corner-office salaries -- we just need to keep a diligent eye on them.

Chris

I can see why Adobe are doing this but at the same time I genuinely can't see Dolby (or whoever this third party is) actually suing individual users although I can see it being an issue for large businesses.

I find the whole CC approach frustrating and an increasing problem for me now as I have an older standalone copy of Lightroom and there's a couple of cameras I'm considering that won't work with Lightroom so either I need to stump up for CC (which they've just doubled the price on), convert the files first or not buy them.
watch this video

I agree with the sentiment of an increasing price for the Photographers version of Adobe CC that includes Photoshop and Lightroom. I subscribe but I can go months without using it as I don't shoot that much anymore. Still even at $10.00 a month or $120. a year that's a lot for a retired guy like me but there just isn't any viable alternative out there.

I though for a while that ON 1 might be an alternative but they have lost their way. They used to have excellent customer service and tech help available to their customers, but that is all gone now. The last two updates I did purchase from ON 1 had nagging issues that I could never get anyone to answer at the company.

Reactions: naiku
I agree with the sentiment of an increasing price for the Photographers version of Adobe CC that includes Photoshop and Lightroom. I subscribe but I can go months without using it as I don't shoot that much anymore. Still even at $10.00 a month or $120. a year that's a lot for a retired guy like me but there just isn't any viable alternative out there.

I though for a while that ON 1 might be an alternative but they have lost their way. They used to have excellent customer service and tech help available to their customers, but that is all gone now. The last two updates I did purchase from ON 1 had nagging issues that I could never get anyone to answer at the company.

Try Dxo Homepage - DxO they are what On1 was in their hayday.

I agree and hate being forced into the subscription model. I have found suitable replacements for some Adobe products (currently using DaVinci Resolve for video, Affinity Designer for vector art, etc.) but I have yet to find suitable replacements for Photoshop or Lightroom. They are both just the best at what they do. I do, however, purchase my CC subscriptions through Amazon so all Adobe gets is a code and no credit card info. Their subscription model is terrible. You can cancel any time but you owe 1/2 of your remaining balance for the current subscription year when you do so? Yeah, I want these guys to have my card to auto-renew. Not. Besides, occasionally Amazon will have it at a better price. I use camelcamelcamel to alert me when the price drops to a certain point and then I can just add the code to get another year. I really, really wish I could find suitable alternatives though. Some day...

Reactions: hoggdoc
I agree and hate being forced into the subscription model. I have found suitable replacements for some Adobe products (currently using DaVinci Resolve for video, Affinity Designer for vector art, etc.) but I have yet to find suitable replacements for Photoshop or Lightroom. They are both just the best at what they do. I do, however, purchase my CC subscriptions through Amazon so all Adobe gets is a code and no credit card info. Their subscription model is terrible. You can cancel any time but you owe 1/2 of your remaining balance for the current subscription year when you do so? Yeah, I want these guys to have my card to auto-renew. Not. Besides, occasionally Amazon will have it at a better price. I use camelcamelcamel to alert me when the price drops to a certain point and then I can just add the code to get another year. I really, really wish I could find suitable alternatives though. Some day...

Have you looked into gimp for the Photoshop replacement?

So you're still using a version of Photoshop v1.0 from 1988?

Because major version updates every coupl'a years might be self-applied, but you're still adding cost to your original purchase. The last time I updated a pre-subscription version of PS or LR, it was $175 ... EACH — that's a lot of months of subscriptions (and all the advances that come with it).

And for $10 a month, I'm getting BOTH apps (PS and LR).

Obligatory On Topic (to the OP):

This notice Adobe sent out is nothing for us to worry about -- it's them covering their bases.

And the doubling of subscription price is not something that has hit most of us here -- there have been market tests in certain regions of the world they've tried, but they didn't go over well.

If anyone here can find a double charge on their credit card from Adobe (especially if it happened without them giving you notice), don't keep it to yourself. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Not that Adobe marketing hasn't been earning their corner-office salaries -- we just need to keep a diligent eye on them.

Chris
No. I use Davinci Resolve. It's free, and pretty powerful.
I imagine it does not have half the fine tuning capability of Photoshop or Lightroom, but it's free, and I don't spend hours in front of a computer tweaking this and that.

Just say no to subscriptions. there's always another way

No. I use Davinci Resolve. It's free, and pretty powerful.
I imagine it does not have half the fine tuning capability of Photoshop or Lightroom, but it's free, and I don't spend hours in front of a computer tweaking this and that.

Just say no to subscriptions. there's always another way

DaVinci Resolve is a video editing software. Photoshop and Lightroom are both primarily photo editing software particularly for RAW photos.

DaVinci Resolve most certainly can’t edit RAW files.

I thought you could purchase Adobe Creative Suite on single apps for a single up front cost but looks like they don’t do that anymore and haven’t for a few years(I guess I’m behind the times.)

I think all of us would love to me rid of Adobe once and for all but when all your technical training and experience is with one platform it’s really impossible to switch to something else. Especially Photoshop has absolutely no rival.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird