DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updated place to fly in SF Bay Area/East Bay/South Bay

I parked on the street next to this tennis club’s private lot, then flew from that lot:
SFPD drove by and nodded at me as he drove on by, clearly seeing a remote in my hands and me looking at the sky. Thumbswayup

Second battery, I drove to Fisherman’s Wharf and only saw a construction crew in Boudin’s parking lot:

Third battery, I’m parked a block below crooked Lombard, so I flew quickly for about five minutes of spectacular footage. That was as nerve-racking as my first-ever flight because I saw people watching from windows as I took off. :)
Please post the Lombard Street footage. Would love to see it.

Thanks!.

I think if I drove up there from San Jose, I'd try to make it to Treasure Island as well.

But people are going to be critical. I heard for instance that a health minister in Scotland lost her job for driving to a second home and in New Zealand, another health minister lost his job for driving 20 km to a beach.

But people are going to be critical...

True. I was emboldened by the cop driving by...seemingly unconcerned. The folks being cited here in California, per the news outlets, are being rather blatant with group activities, but I’ve also heard rumors of lone hikers getting “talked to” by law enforcement.

Regardless, we’ll eventually have our drone meetup on Treasure Island, as a makeup for last month’s cancelled event, so we’ll hope to see you there some day.

Weather is great this week.

However, state politicians are crossing their fingers. They're expanding testing so there may be reporting about surge in cases.

LA mayor said they may go through what NYC is going through in about 2 weeks.

So they don't want us to be complacent and ease up.

Reactions: pelagic_one
True. I was emboldened by the cop driving by...seemingly unconcerned. The folks being cited here in California, per the news outlets, are being rather blatant with group activities, but I’ve also heard rumors of lone hikers getting “talked to” by law enforcement.

Regardless, we’ll eventually have our drone meetup on Treasure Island, as a makeup for last month’s cancelled event, so we’ll hope to see you there some day.

I would love to come out there and hang out at a meetup one of these days.

I would love to come out there and hang out at a meetup one of these days.
Everyone is welcome to join, when they let us again. There are three general drone meetup groups in the Bay Area, all organized by the same guy, very easily Googled. He posts a monthly meetup location. There’s even a MeetUp app, if you weren’t already aware. I’ve met hobbyists, a variety of 107 pilots and a good mix of private pilots, too.

Once the authorities “release the hounds“ I‘m pretty sure we’ll get those up and running again. ‘Look forward to meeting you!

Everyone is welcome to join, when they let us again. There are three general drone meetup groups in the Bay Area, all organized by the same guy, very easily Googled. He posts a monthly meetup location. There’s even a MeetUp app, if you weren’t already aware. I’ve met hobbyists, a variety of 107 pilots and a good mix of private pilots, too.

Once the authorities “release the hounds“ I‘m pretty sure we’ll get those up and running again. ‘Look forward to meeting you!

Thanks! I've looked up groups closer to where I live and they mostly seem geared towards racing quads. I'll check it out.

A few of us were meeting up early Saturday mornings at Berkeley Marina in February/March till stuff went down. There’s a racing drone group there too, so you can imagine the interference our Minis were causing them. The bigger Mavics had no issues. Any chance you live near some open space where we can all meet?

Welcome to the forum @snozberries. You’re right up near some of my latest over-the-water flying spots: Benicia and Carquinez Bridges vista points, and Mare Island.

When we can all go out again, our Bay Area Drone MeetUps are going to be packed, but the more the merrier: Create a Meetup Account

Reactions: snozberries
I live in Marin County. It is pretty dismal for us as far as flyable areas. The whole coast from south of SF to Pt Reyes is all national Park, so no fly. Also all State parks are no fly. Marin County parks and open areas under their jurisdiction are also no fly. That doesent leave us much. I dont know about San Rafael city parks. I wish we were a bigger group and could shout louder. We all pay for these parks with our taxes and they should be obligated to accommodate us. I understand the need for some regulations in highly populated areas but most of these parks have huge areas without a lot of people walking around.

Reactions: Anurag
I understand the need for some regulations in highly populated areas but most of these parks have huge areas without a lot of people walking around.
I couldn’t agree with you more. People used to post about flying in Sausalito, and I’ve tried San Rafael parks, but always encounter dirty looks as I’m unpacking. Across the Richmond Bridge at Point Molate has been a great place to fly, to me.

I couldn’t agree with you more. People used to post about flying in Sausalito, and I’ve tried San Rafael parks, but always encounter dirty looks as I’m unpacking. Across the Richmond Bridge at Point Molate has been a great place to fly, to me.

I think I read about Sausalito and maybe Tiburon in this thread.

I haven't been but they seem to be clear of restrictions in Airmap.

Anyone fly more recently?

They've eased some restrictions but with good weather, more people are out and about.

Anyone fly more recently?
I’ve been flying with a couple local forum members quite a bit over the last month. If we’re not flying near people, we’ve seen a couple of police officers that see what we’re doing and continue driving past us. We’re masked-up to protect each other, so that helps. We also just got footage of my son’s high school graduation car parade.

In a couple weeks, there will be a drone meet-up event at Sunnyvale’s Baylands Park. sign up online, and attend even if you’re assigned a backup spot. There will probably be a big turnout this time, but we’re always spaced away from one another to fly anyway. Create a Meetup Account

For those wanting to just get together and fly, send me a private message. In the last five months I have compiled a spreadsheet of good flying spots around the Bay Area, spanning from Santa Cruz up the coast to Bodega Bay, around the Bay itself, out to the windvanes of the Altamont Pass to Downtown Sacramento, SF and Oakland, and all the bridges. Some spots require LAANC preapproval. Some spots are near a NFZ border. All are legal...except for that “flying during a shutdown” thing.

Of course there’s my wishful dream flight around the NFZ that is the Golden Gate Bridge. Some have done it recently, based on YouTube videos, but I’ve set out to show there are so many other beautiful places to fly around the bay.

In a couple weeks, there will be a drone meet-up event at Sunnyvale’s Baylands Park. sign up online, and attend even if you’re assigned a backup spot. There will probably be a big turnout this time, but we’re always spaced away from one another to fly anyway. Create a Meetup Account
I just heard from our drone group organizer that the June 13 meetup at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale has been rescheduled to August 8. However the Alameda Point meetup is still good for July 11.

If anyone wants to get together and fly on Saturday, June 13, send me a private message, let me know if you’re closer to Sunnyvale, Berkeley or Mare Island, and we’ll organize a mini-meetup...masked-up, of course. ?

I had thought about driving up to SF but the forecast was for big winds, over 25 MPH around 4 PM.

But webcams show a lot of people out. Clear and sunny. May be windy but that won't matter on the ground.

I had thought about driving up to SF but the forecast was for big winds, over 25 MPH around 4 PM.
I was thinking of Treasure Island or Berkeley this morning, but winds are going to be strong all day.

Flags in our neighborhood are flapping hard, but somewhere out there a new Mini owner is saying, “What beautiful weather to try out my new drone!” ;)

E40D0F3D-E43B-4D51-AA86-E65ED9DF7B99.jpeg

Reactions: Shon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv