DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updated place to fly in SF Bay Area/East Bay/South Bay

Has anyone gone up to Blue Park on Yerba Buena Island?

I was looking at locations on Treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island. I see Treasure Island has a long coast facing SF with clear views.

But a lot of the popular photos appear to be taken from Blue Park, which is elevated above the west span of the Bay Bridge. So in these photos, typically night photos, the Bridge is straight ahead or maybe slightly to the left or right and the city skyline well over to the right. So you can see the flow of cars on the bridge as well as the skyline in one shot.

However I found out they're building luxury condos up there, to have these elevated views.

Hopefully they still have public areas up there though I wonder about parking. Also maybe the pandemic lockdowns have interrupted any construction up there.

Has anyone gone up to Blue Park on Yerba Buena Island?
You’re correct that the Blue Park area is undergoing major condo construction so there’s really no place to park up there yet. Construction seems to have re-started there a couple weeks ago. However on a quiet weekend morning, with no construction crew in site, one could park down by the marina and walk up the hill.

There‘s also a blocked-off part of the road that makes for an ideal vantage point here:

Are you allowed to park by the marina? I see parking there from satellite photos but maybe those spaces are reserved for people who have boats there?

Otherwise there doesn't seem to be anywhere to park along that road which runs along the coast of Treasure Island until you get way down to 9th avenue or so, which is around the middle of the wet coast of TI.

I suppose if you take off your drone from TI, you can reach the part of Yerba Buena Island which overlooks the Bay Bridge. But that wouldn't be VLOS any more.

"The East Bay Regional Park District reminds park visitors that drones – motorized, remote-controlled aircraft – are illegal in all parks and open space areas in the District."

Hello,

I was reading through this post and signed up, hoping to meet other people in the Bay Area to find spots to fly. Will to travel anywhere really.

Thanks, Steve

Reactions: pelagic_one
Are you allowed to park by the marina? I see parking there from satellite photos but maybe those spaces are reserved for people who have boats there?

Otherwise there doesn't seem to be anywhere to park along that road which runs along the coast of Treasure Island until you get way down to 9th avenue or so, which is around the middle of the wet coast of TI.

I suppose if you take off your drone from TI, you can reach the part of Yerba Buena Island which overlooks the Bay Bridge. But that wouldn't be VLOS any more.
Where in Treasure Island is a good place to fly? I am new to this. Thanks

Drove up there yesterday, arrived around 11 to 11:30 AM. Clear but very windy. I didn't try to fly.

For one thing, there's construction EVERYWHERE. So you couldn't directly drive along the waterfront facing SF. You had to drive east and then back towards the waterfront, around 9th ave.

There were a few people fishing but it was deserted.

I didn't try to fly.

The place where I really want to fly from is Yerba Buena Island, up high overlooking the Bay Bridge. But there's construction there too.

A couple of years ago, they created something called the Yerba Buena Vista Point. It's only accessible by a shuttle bus from Treasure Island. But both the Vista Point and the shuttle bus service are closed right now.

Bicycling on Treasure and Yerba Buena Islands | Treasure Island Development Authority

Winds were over 20 MPH with higher gusts. When I drove back down to the South Bay, temperature was over 20 degrees higher and there were barely any winds.

Reactions: catmeowcat
Drove up there yesterday, arrived around 11 to 11:30 AM. Clear but very windy. I didn't try to fly...
I consult UAV Forecast before leaving home, but I regularly fly Treasure Island in 20mph winds with everything but my Mini. Sunrise or sunset are the optimal times, from a lighting perspective, and to avoid crowds.

Since there is so much construction near the Treasure Island dog park, Mersea restaurant and Yerba Buena Island, I’ve parked near the marina and walked uphill along the road to this great vantage point:

Thanks, I think I drove by it on the way back. Just side of the road. Enough room to launch and land but chances for onlookers driving by.

I wonder if you take the road towards Oakland if there's somewhere to pull over and walk around or reach that Vista Point? I didn't want to try because I worried that if you headed that way, you had to go all the way to Oakland before turning around and heading back. Didn't want to pay the tolls.

Thanks, I think I drove by it on the way back. Just side of the road. Enough room to launch and land but chances for onlookers driving by.

I wonder if you take the road towards Oakland if there's somewhere to pull over and walk around or reach that Vista Point? I didn't want to try because I worried that if you headed that way, you had to go all the way to Oakland before turning around and heading back. Didn't want to pay the tolls.
I was trying to find a spot in Yerba Buena Island. There’s a spot right before the Oakland Side bridge entrance (Close to the bridge bay trail start point) I saw 2,3 trucks parked there, I think it’s a temporary parking for the construction workers. I might go tmr morning to get the sunrise shots.

Last edited:
I consult UAV Forecast before leaving home, but I regularly fly Treasure Island in 20mph winds with everything but my Mini. Sunrise or sunset are the optimal times, from a lighting perspective, and to avoid crowds.

Since there is so much construction near the Treasure Island dog park, Mersea restaurant and Yerba Buena Island, I’ve parked near the marina and walked uphill along the road to this great vantage point:
Have you try flying to the left side of the bridge (facing SF), so you can get a shot under the bridge and facing sf?

Have you try flying to the left side of the bridge (facing SF), so you can get a shot under the bridge and facing sf?
Not from land yet, as Yerba Buena Island was already under construction when I got my Mini in December. I am however planning to fly from our sailboat later this month, so I’ll time it for some good light. Just waiting for some calmer air. Great idea!

I was trying to find a spot in Yerba Buena Island. There’s a spot right before the Oakland Side bridge entrance (Close to the bridge bay trail start point) I saw 2,3 trucks parked there, I think it’s a temporary parking for the construction workers. I might go tmr morning to get the sunrise shots.
I parked at the marina this morning and hiked up the hill in hopes of seeing you and/or your drone, but I was apparently alone this morning. It wasn’t until I headed back to the East Bay that I saw the CHP patrol car sitting in that parking spot we’ve both mentioned, so I’m guessing you didn’t stop when you saw him.

5mph wind, beautiful sunrise, flew alongside the Bay Bridge and headed halfway to SF, with the sunlight reflecting off the Salesforce Tower. Worth the hike uphill for sure!

Dang envy you.

I went up Tuesday, which was suppose to get over 90 in some places.

But at 11:30 AM, very windy and there was a haze over the city skyline which wouldn't lift during the time I was there.

Then I went to get lunch in Sausalito and then went to Tiburon where it was still windy and the city in the distance was in even thicker haze. So I assume the haze even from TI never lifted that day.

I may have to set up at like 6 AM from San Jose.

I parked at the marina this morning and hiked up the hill in hopes of seeing you and/or your drone, but I was apparently alone this morning. It wasn’t until I headed back to the East Bay that I saw the CHP patrol car sitting in that parking spot we’ve both mentioned, so I’m guessing you didn’t stop when you saw him.

5mph wind, beautiful sunrise, flew alongside the Bay Bridge and headed halfway to SF, with the sunlight reflecting off the Salesforce Tower. Worth the hike uphill for sure!
What!!? I was there at 545am. Left at 630. I flew right across from the boats. When I flew close to the bridge, I had high interference and lost signal of the drone for a second. The screen went dark!! Scared me to death!! Lucky I pressed return home the second before it lost signal. See the picture how close I was to the bridge. You didn’t have signal problems?
Then I parked at that construction place and walked on the bridge. Saw that patrol car too, lucky he didn’t give me a ticket. Haha had a lot of fun.F72E2547-1851-46DC-8EFF-139E852BA044.jpeg

Last edited:
You didn’t have signal problems?
I only flew my MA2 this morning, without signal problems near the bridge. What were you flying?

I missed you because I got there around 6:15 and didn’t walk up to my roadside spot until around the time you left. Did you fly from the bridge when you walked out there?

I only flew my MA2 this morning, without signal problems near the bridge. What were you flying?

I missed you because I got there around 6:15 and didn’t walk up to my roadside spot until around the time you left. Did you fly from the bridge when you walked out there?
I have a Mavic 2 pro. I flew across from the parking lot of the market. It’s the way that leads up to the pier.
I wonder why I had signal problem. Now I am scared to fly close to the bridge again.

If it’s any consolation, my M2P experienced signal loss on a similar flight near the bridge in the past. I can’t be sure I didn’t face away from it, so that may have caused my disconnect.

This morning was my first MA2 flight near the bridge, so I’m amazed that it maintained a continuous signal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78