DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

updated to Fly app 1.4.12 and it all went downhill

Grazuncle

Reactions
I'm using a Redmi Note phone for display only.. I noticed this update and did it as usual as I have had good stable flying till now. I didn't use the Mini2 for a week after updating it..
I flew it locally as I often do but the video feed back to the display was updating around every two or three seconds.. unusable in my mind. I put this down to some unusual wifi interference.

I went to a rural area a couple of days ago (been there many times too) and it was exactly the same.. unusable.. not just jerky.

I mentioned this on another forum and they basically said forget updating the Fly app past 1.4.2.. They pointed me to the previous APK file. I deleted the 1.4.12 and put 1.4.2 back and everything is fine and stable with almost real time video feedback, again..

My Redmi Note was on the approved list (and other sites too said it was a good choice even if not the brightest screen= nits) in my research but this update ruined the experience and I thought my Mini 2 had developed a fault.. depressing to say the least! I wonder if DJI drop off support for the older ones and not let you know? Who knows?

iOS seem to be better supported but Android seems flaky.

Anyone else had this issue or find an update that does work..? I generally prefer to update if possible but won't spoil my fun if it means stay as you are.

Thanks

Reactions: monteolsen1
There are a few threads on the 1.4.12 version. It was unstable to my understanding.

The newer 1.5 or 1.5.1 appears more stable and doesn't stop or interfere with DH certs either.

My main tablet has always been iPad Pro... 10.9 then later 2018 11".
With Mini 1 & 2, always used iPad Mini5 tablet; Started using Fly App recently for A2S and A2... the 11" iPad won't connect but the older iPad Pro and Mini5 will... but all Androids are stable with FLY app.

May just be an oddity... but Android takes this one for me.

There are a few threads on the 1.4.12 version. It was unstable to my understanding.

The newer 1.5 or 1.5.1 appears more stable and doesn't stop or interfere with DH certs either.

My main tablet has always been iPad Pro... 10.9 then later 2018 11".
With Mini 1 & 2, always used iPad Mini5 tablet; Started using Fly App recently for A2S and A2... the 11" iPad won't connect but the older iPad Pro and Mini5 will... but all Androids are stable with FLY app.

May just be an oddity... but Android takes this one for me.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Doug

You hear many 'stories' but reality is the thing.. You'd think from some sources that iOS is 'the' only thing. I'm pleased you have success. I guess it is down to the phone used in many cases and not just Android OS.

I'm tempted to try 1.5... I can alwys go back to 1.4.2

I'm using a Redmi Note phone for display only.. I noticed this update and did it as usual as I have had good stable flying till now. I didn't use the Mini2 for a week after updating it..
I flew it locally as I often do but the video feed back to the display was updating around every two or three seconds.. unusable in my mind. I put this down to some unusual wifi interference.

I went to a rural area a couple of days ago (been there many times too) and it was exactly the same.. unusable.. not just jerky.

I mentioned this on another forum and they basically said forget updating the Fly app past 1.4.2.. They pointed me to the previous APK file. I deleted the 1.4.12 and put 1.4.2 back and everything is fine and stable with almost real time video feedback, again..

My Redmi Note was on the approved list (and other sites too said it was a good choice even if not the brightest screen= nits) in my research but this update ruined the experience and I thought my Mini 2 had developed a fault.. depressing to say the least! I wonder if DJI drop off support for the older ones and not let you know? Who knows?

Anyone else had this issue or find an update that does work..? I generally prefer to update if possible but won't spoil my fun if it means stay as you are.

Thanks
Think you mean 1.5.12, not 1.4.12. The newest DJI FlyApp updates are DATA HOGS - plain and simple. Very talked about issue here on the forum as well.

With DJI's trend towards more and more and adding in M3 support in same app - devices that did work before will be falling into the trash heap - as they can't process the newer apps.

Sticking with a 1.4.x FlyApp is almost a requirement if you have an older device - does not matter if Android or Apple. Apple people are having many issues too, as older model iPads / phones no longer cut the mustard either.

That's technology updating for you. Same has applied across the PC / MAC world - need more and more power / RAM / CPU / GPU to do much of anything with newer software or esp games. What worked 5 years ago is a dinosaur today for most things new. I still run many older software programs like Office and such - as it's simply not as bloated and taxes the computers I do have. Good thing I'm not a gamer, as their machines are reaching the $2k+ mark on minimum standards to run decently.

If you don't have the M3 like most of won't get - upgrading into the 1.5.x is not really needed. I have it installed on my Lenovo 10 and it works okay. No real buggy issues that I've noticed, but some small improvements like the OA detection now being closer to the middle of the screen where I will notice it more, than when it was a orange line across the top and bottom.

Think you mean 1.5.12, not 1.4.12. The newest DJI FlyApp updates are DATA HOGS - plain and simple. Very talked about issue here on the forum as well.

With DJI's trend towards more and more and adding in M3 support in same app - devices that did work before will be falling into the trash heap - as they can't process the newer apps.

Sticking with a 1.4.x FlyApp is almost a requirement if you have an older device - does not matter if Android or Apple. Apple people are having many issues too, as older model iPads / phones no longer cut the mustard either.

That's technology updating for you. Same has applied across the PC / MAC world - need more and more power / RAM / CPU / GPU to do much of anything with newer software or esp games. What worked 5 years ago is a dinosaur today for most things new. I still run many older software programs like Office and such - as it's simply not as bloated and taxes the computers I do have. Good thing I'm not a gamer, as their machines are reaching the $2k+ mark on minimum standards to run decently.

If you don't have the M3 like most of won't get - upgrading into the 1.5.x is not really needed. I have it installed on my Lenovo 10 and it works okay. No real buggy issues that I've noticed, but some small improvements like the OA detection now being closer to the middle of the screen where I will notice it more, than when it was a orange line across the top and bottom.
Interesting, haven't seen a 1.5.12 version. Even the 1.5.1 isn't directly on app stores... or wasn't a few days ago, for sometime just showing 1.5.0. DJI list newest as 1.5.1 for both Android & iOS.

I'd agree... older systems often lack the performance or minimal specific circuits to meet new OS or applications. Even Bluetooth or WiFi specs are changing, older generation versions will be blocked & not supported in future. Old DOS / Win3.1 days were even better... small OS & small functional applications programs... actually liked Word 2.0 over new subscription based. It's been climbing with each new generation... some good, some bad. I do enjoy the performance of the newer systems, but to obtain that performance...like you mentioned for games, video editors with processing & strong GPU is much higher than many desire to purchase exceeding $2-3K.

I run the 1.5.1 on multiple iOS & Android devices, seems to run fine... Although I'm a poor benchmark, I rarely used FLY app.. had mainly used it on Mini2, recently trying it on Air2 and Air2S.

Thanks for taking an interest and replying..

interesting information you post regarding increased power (CPU?) requirements with the newer versions of the app.

However I am not mistaken in my opening post/title.. It did all go laggy (only with video to the display) as soon as I went from 1.4.2 to 1.4.12..

it is now stable again with 1.4.2 i'm pleased to report.

Last edited:

Thanks
I'm using 1.4.4 no issues

Wow.. that's interesting.. Just to confirm - using a Redmi Note 5?

Did you have any issues with 1.4.12.. or did you bypass that and update to 1.4.4?

This encouraging if so..

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Sorry I'm not familiar with your mobile device, I'm using an oppo. Since I've been flying DJI drones since 2016 I'm very careful with updates. I've never gone past 1.4.4

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga