DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade from MP to MP2? My thoughts.

Former Member

Reactions
Well, they are finally here. The newest iterations of the Mavic line, the long awaited Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro. A good number of Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, MPP, and Spark owners are out there asking themselves, should I upgrade? Before you jump online, spend your hard earned $1249 or $1449 for either of the two new models, there are some things you might want to consider.

As many members are, I am passionate about many things, three of them being new technology, aviation, and shiny new things. The new Mavics are aesthetically pleasing, and pack all of the cutting edge features one could want in a drone. They are pretty reasonably priced considering their capabilities, and what their competition is offering, and what their predecessors offer. The big question is, do you need or do you just want one? I dont need either of them for what I do. I take off, livestream some boring footage to Facebook, land, pack up, and go home. My Mavic Pro does an awesome job at that, so I would not personally upgrade. I am buying a bunch of MP2's for repair parts, but not flying them for fun.

Some factors to consider when making your decision might be:

• Do you need the enhanced obstacle avoidance or do you zoom around in sport mode?
  • Do you need a Hasselblad or zoom camera, or can you get by with the MP cam with digital zoom?
  • Do you need the extra 6 minutes of battery life, or could you just go buy a new MP battery for $60?
  • Do you have the money to burn if you are not using it for work?
  • Are you going to buy Refresh? If so, add another $129 to the price.
  • Need an extra battery? You can only get them from DJI, and price is $119.
  • Are you willing to be a beta tester for the MP2? There might be a few firmware fixes before it's perfect.
New drone owners might benefit from the obstacle avoidance system, but a good set of prop guards will help alot too on a Mavic Pro.

There are so many great deals on Mavic Pros out there, it is still a viable candidate for a first drone, and is a solid choice to remain in members stables for a long time to come.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun. Keep me in mind if you have a problem, and Im here to help pick up the pieces :)

Rob

Last edited:
Well, they are finally here. The newest iteration of the Mavic line, the long awaited Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro. A good number of Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, MPP, and Spark owners are out there asking themselves, should I upgrade? Before you jump online, spend your hard earned $1249 or $1449 for either of the two new models, there are some things you might want to consider.

As many members are, I am passionate about many few things, three of them being new technology, aviation, and shiny new things. The new Mavics are aesthetically pleasing, pack all of the cutting edge features one could want in a drone, and are pretty reasonably priced considering their capabilities, and what their competition is offering, and what their predecessors offer. The big question is, do you need or do you just want one? I dont need either of them for what I do. I take off, livestream some boring footage to Facebook, land, pack up, and go home. My Mavic Pro does an awesome job at that, so I would not personally upgrade.

Some factors to consider when making your decision might be:

• Do you need the enhanced obstacle avoidance or do you zoom around in sport mode?
  • Do you need a Hasselblad or zoom camera, or can you get by with the MP cam?
  • Do you need the extra 6 minutes of battery life, or could you just go buy a new MP battery for $60?
  • Do you have the money to burn if you are not using it for work?
  • Are you going to buy Refresh? If so, add another $129 to the price.
  • Need an extra battery? You can only get them from DJI, and price is $119.
  • Are you willing to be a beta tester for the MP2? There might be a few firmware fixes before it's perfect.
New drone owners might benefit from the obstacle avoidance system, but a good set of prop guards will help alot too.

There are so many great deals on Mavic Pros out there, it is still a viable candidate for a first drone, and is a solid choice to remain in members stables for a long time to come.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun. Keep me in mind if you have a problem, and Im here to help pick up the pieces :)

Rob
Excellent analysis @Thunderdrones, concise and to the point (Hemingway would be proud.)

I want one, but to be honest, I have invested in my MP with the titan drones tactical ground station with the 7.8 CS all built in plus better charging equipment and extra batteries. It would make it a very expensive proposal to get to the same point with the new mavic.
I bought the phantom 4 pro for the 1” sensor, and honestly don’t fly it over my mavic. ( I don’t even get the inspire out these days in preference to the MP and ground station) so I know I can live without it.
I’m sure I will get one of the Mav 2’s, but I won’t be jumping just yet

A lot of good points.

Just going from an MP to an M2 isn't super compelling to me, but I bit the the bullet because I have a P4 as well. The M2P seems to bridge those worlds, so now I can go down to one drone.

I like the new camera on the 2pro, but it's not enough of a change to drop $1500 at the moment.
I agree about the camera...adjustable Fstops is a nice feature (if I read it right) - The really attractive feature would be the 360 degree obstacle avoidance (having lifted into a tree branch not too long ago (and my wonderful MPP flipped completely over, but kept flying with only had a single chipped prop to show for it!).

For me, the killer feature would have been a 3D gimbal (horizontal panning). To be able to set the drone on a straight course and shoot off to the sides would be enough of a draw to make me want to switch out.

Not saying I won't...but I don't think so. Depends on how good the swap program is and how well my BT300s will work with it.

You do know about Course Lock and Home Lock, correct?
I do...and it's not really the same thing. There are times when I want to turn and look at something while I pan by it, rather spontaneously...and not take the time to set up a mode. Maybe I'm just lazy...but it would be nice to be able to "look around".

Also...I have Moverios and sometimes use the Moverio app that allows head tracking. Unfortunately, with the headtracking, up down moves the gimbal, left right spins the drone. That's really hard to manage and fly straight. That app doesn't have course lock.

I'll play a little with course lock...maybe if I get really good at setting it effortlessly, it would become second nature and I could use it spontaneously.

- G

Reactions: Former Member
Fyi.. Side. Obstacle sensors only work in tripod and follow me I believe .. They definitely don't work all the time.

I did see in one review (ready set drone) that it has bottom super bright led lights. Kind of nice feature not worth the cash tho.

It's pretty clear that going from MP to mp2 you won't gain much.
Even going ma to mp2 isn't that great imo. Other than ocusync.

I think this is a good analysis but it assumes not selling old equipment to help offset the expense. i sold my MPP kit for $300 less than invested and was happy to pay the difference to get the M2P upgrades.

I think this is a good analysis but it assumes not selling old equipment to help offset the expense. i sold my MPP kit for $300 less than invested and was happy to pay the difference to get the M2P upgrades.

Ok since you mentioned it, let`s consider selling ones old equipment to offset the price of a new one.

Can you give specifics about:
  • Did you buy your MPP new?
  • How much did you pay for it?
  • What accessories did you buy with it?
  • Did you buy Refresh?
  • How long did you own it?
  • How many cycles on the battery?
  • Who did you sell it to?
  • When did you sell it?
Considering the fact that most owners own multiple batteries and Mavic Pro specific accessories, the plot thickens. None of these accessories are compatible with the MP2. Unless an owner is savvy, parts his accessories out, and takes his time in selling, he is not going to lose less than 20%. Selling one on eBay, it gets worse after they take their 14% with Paypal fees.

You must have gotten off lightly, or you are a good negotiator. Used drones normally drop in value 15-20% once they have been flown. New Mavic $799, fly it once, it's worth $650-$675.

New Mavic Pro Platinum Flyless = $1099
Maybe you sold yours for = $799 (said you lost only $300 on it)
Difference between your sales price and new MP2 Zoom = $450

$450 is the cost to go from DJI's flagship Mavc, the MPP, to a new Mavic Pro 2 Zoom.

Please feel free to correct my math, since it's just conjecture anyway.

A Mavic Pro owner is in a different boat.

Paid maybe $799 new.
Worth now $600.
Loss of $199
Cost to get into the cheaper MP2Z = $1249
Cash out of pocket $649.

Most reasonable people who arent making money with their drone are sitting tight. Maybe in 6 months when the prices start to fall on the new MP2 models, they will start looking. The cooler weather is coming, and that will deter some cooler weather folks from committing until the spring.

There is a saying that goes, "You dont lose money on something until you sell it." If people hang on to their MP's, they will lose nothing but depreciation, but a brand new MP2 will depreciate too. Much more than your old Mavic.

Hemingway is calling me to tea. Gotta run...

Last edited:

Good stuff, Rob... Personally I have no need for the Mav-2. But your point about the beta testing is spot on. In a former life I was a Novell and Microsoft network tech. And ultimately taught MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) at the college level. As a journeyman, I spent my days running all over Sacramento County designing, installing and repairing networks.

Some clients would see that Microsoft was releasing a new version of Windows, and would pre-order it, then schedule my time for a few days to do a company-wide installation.

I got in the habit of politely asking them to cancel their order and wait four to six months before running the upgrade. I would remind them that, "This is your business, not some shiny toy." And would ask, "How many days can you afford to be down?"... while we troubleshoot unknown bugs across several offices, often separated by hundreds of miles from one another.

I bought my MP five months after its release. Shiny and new is one thing - but nothing takes the place of "functioning properly."

Good list, brother :)

Last edited:
I guess still no ATTI switch?

I'll keep my MPP for now. When people have tested it a bit and DJI updated the firmware to allow using the MPP controller with the M2 (they promised on their website that this will become possible) I might have another look.

I got in the habit of politely asking them to cancel their order and wait for four to six months before running the upgrade. I would remind them that, "This is your business, not some shiny toy."

An EXCELLENT point! If an owner is using his MP or MA for business, he depends on it to be reliable. If he goes out and buys a new MP2, it would make very good sense to keep his old old, venerable MP in case something goes awry with his new machine. Redundancy in business is not a bad thing.

In the old days, I would never be the first to update Windows. I would wait 6 months and see if they get all the bugs out. You gave good solid advice to those businesses. If you want to stay up, dont switch. If you do want to switch, run it on a few select machines get familiar with the bugs, and then gradually switch over.

I call myself the worlds worst salesman. Customers always want to upgrade to the latest and greatest, which I am happy to sell them, but not without a good, solid, honest opinion that it might not be the best thing for them.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I'm with you! I don't really need the Mavic 2 Pro right now. I just bought my Mavic Air 3 months ago and I haven't had time to fly my Mavic Pro since! I bought the Air so that when the 2 came out I would have something to keep me occupied until all the beta-testers work out all the bugs. I sold my Spark to get the Air so I will probably sell my Mavic Pro when it comes time to buy the Mavic 2 Pro.

By the way, the Mavic 2 Pro is awesome with that huge camera on the front! I can't wait to get it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa