DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade from MP to MP2? My thoughts.

Well there is another thing to take into account on the new PRO 2,that is a killer for me, as in I do not want one now, and that is the fact that the gimbal does not rotate all the way down so that you can look straight down AND film at the same time. The new 2 can only look straight down if you only want to take still photos. If you wish to film video, then this gimbal will not be able to rotate down like that and allow filming, for some reason, if I have understood the new details correctly. From what I heard, they are only offering to pay out $300 for a Mavic Pro in the exchange programme, that sort of price is a joke.

What ??? Not possible to film with the gimbal down ? Don’t understand here....

Reactions: Former Member
I'm with you! I don't really need the Mavic 2 Pro right now. I just bought my Mavic Air 3 months ago and I haven't had time to fly my Mavic Pro since! I bought the Air so that when the 2 came out I would have something to keep me occupied until all the beta-testers work out all the bugs. I sold my Spark to get the Air so I will probably sell my Mavic Pro when it comes time to buy the Mavic 2 Pro.

By the way, the Mavic 2 Pro is awesome with that huge camera on the front! I can't wait to get it!

I see a lot of video from people showing great shots of video with the camera view looking straight down. Remember that the new MV2 does no longer allow that function. Something I think was a mistake in the design of the new 2.

Quite a bit of hand wringing and hashing over price in the thread, is it worth it, do we need it, are you happy, will you be happier, etc, etc. Buying drones is similar to buying high end DSLR camera gear for some of us. I see the same conversations in camera forums. I'm not rich, but I realized that life is very short. Get the things you want but don't accumulate high debt doing it. As far as spending some of your savings, nobody gets out of here alive with their money anyway.

This. I am 58 and ok financially. I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older that life is fleeting. If it turns me on - jump on it. Buy what you can afford and don’t wait on the sidelines a year or more-
I’ll be 60 by then looking at the Mavic 3 rumors with the 16K 120 FPS spec.

As far as bugs are concerned - based on the Air launch, I’d hope that Mavic2 will be worked out to be a pretty quality launch. The dozen hands-on YouTube reviews have been blown away with how fantastic it is. I can’t wait! Enjoy your MP 1 if that’s what still excites you [emoji52]

What ??? Not possible to film with the gimbal down ? Don’t understand here....
From what I saw yesterday, and I hope I am wrong here, but the new Hasselblad camera gimbal does not have a function of filming while looking straight down. The only way the gimbal can look straight down and function, is only when taking a photograph, but not possible to shoot video when in this position. If you look at all the new footage supposedly shot from this new MP2 you will only see still images, (photos) of a straight down view point, but you will not see any video of this camera view point. Very disappointing in the new aircraft.

This. I am 58 and ok financially. I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older that life is fleeting. If it turns me on - jump on it. Buy what you can afford and don’t wait on the sidelines a year or more-
I’ll be 60 by then looking at the Mavic 3 rumors with the 16K 120 FPS spec.

As far as bugs are concerned - based on the Air launch, I’d hope that Mavic2 will be worked out to be a pretty quality launch. The dozen hands-on YouTube reviews have been blown away with how fantastic it is. I can’t wait! Enjoy your MP 1 if that’s what still excites you [emoji52]
At 61 I totally concur, so looking forward to my M2P. If you have the money, go for it, we are all a long time dead. If you don't have the money, be patient, I've been patient most of my live, but now in retirement, I don't need to be so patient. Looking forward to every firmware and Go4 updates.

From what I saw yesterday, and I hope I am wrong here, but the new Hasselblad camera gimbal does not have a function of filming while looking straight down. The only way the gimbal can look straight down and function, is only when taking a photograph, but not possible to shoot video when in this position. If you look at all the new footage supposedly shot from this new MP2 you will only see still images, (photos) of a straight down view point, but you will not see any video of this camera view point. Very disappointing in the new aircraft.

If it’s correct that’s really stupid.... love to film like this.....

For the new person just buying a drone I can see them purchasing it. But to upgrade from a Mavic pro not worth the money. It’s just another Mavic pro with a better camera. I don’t see me purchasing one. I already have the inspire how much better can you get.

Well there is another thing to take into account on the new PRO 2,that is a killer for me, as in I do not want one now, and that is the fact that the gimbal does not rotate all the way down so that you can look straight down AND film at the same time.

Err you can. The gimbal rotates from -90 to +30 degrees.

What it wont do is what the Mavic 1 does and rotates itself 90 degrees from landscape to portrait.

For the new person just buying a drone I can see them purchasing it. But to upgrade from a Mavic pro not worth the money. It’s just another Mavic pro with a better camera. I don’t see me purchasing one. I already have the inspire how much better can you get.

The mavic 1 camera is awful, the 2 looks like it addresses that.
An inspire is nice but i can't throw that into a rucksack along with all my other gear and climb a mountain or go for a jungle walk with it.

Err you can. The gimbal rotates from -90 to +30 degrees.
What it wont do is what the Mavic 1 does and rotates itself 90 degrees from landscape to portrait.

Ohhh I hope you are correct on that and that I misunderstood what was being said. That opens it back up for me then because I never needed that function anyway, since that is really only good for doing panoramic shots, stitched together. Thanks for clarifying that for me. If that is the case please accept my apologies to all that I scared by saying that it did not. I hope you are correct and I am wrong on this.

Great thread and good input from all
That being said......
My question is and I will keep it short
1) what is the life cycle of motors/gimble
Battery for the MP.?
(what say you TD)
2) yes new and shiny but no-one address
The elephant in the room
Software limitations/restriction
(NFZ ) etc
When I receive my magic 15 mon ago
I had stars in my eyes I had been waiting for mavic for 40 yrs .(1980 RC helos )
Just amazing everytime I fly
And probably upgrade just not right now
......cR

Ohhh I hope you are correct on that and that I misunderstood what was being said. That opens it back up for me then because I never needed that function anyway, since that is really only good for doing panoramic shots, stitched together. Thanks for clarifying that for me. If that is the case please accept my apologies to all that I scared by saying that it did not. I hope you are correct and I am wrong on this.

Sounds better !!

Unfortunately i use the portrait pano a lot (as the auto pano modes are rubbish).
I guess from the name you're in Wales?

Unfortunately i use the portrait pano a lot (as the auto pano modes are rubbish).
I guess from the name you're in Wales?

From Wales, but now live in the US, Ohio, though we try and go back home once a year. Not a lot of people know that Cymru is Welsh for Wales, you a Brit or fellow Welshman, maybe?

With the new one inch sensor, shooting manual mode and yawing around, you should be able to get just as good an image now, as with the original portrait rotation option on the MP1, to create a pano. I shoot in portrait or upright position quite often with my Nikon DSLR to get the best image for panos and then stitch it manually in Photoshop. I just overlap about 20% and it is hardly ever an issue.

Thats how its done currently. portrait, 20-30% overlap, horizon correctly positioned and manually take the number you need to get the field of view you want.
The built in auto pano modes dont allow any of those things to be done (like the AEB doesn't have a useful amount of exposure difference between each shot etc).
The mavic is capable but the automatic modes tend to be overly simplistic castration modes offering no user flexibility or customisation.
But basically now instead of 3 images for a pano for example i'll need 6. It just means its going to take longer to do.

X - X - X initially now needs to be:

X - X - X
X - X - X

to get the same aspect.

...and i suspect Ohio has a far nicer climate than Wales!

Thats how its done currently. portrait, 20-30% overlap, horizon correctly positioned and manually take the number you need to get the field of view you want.
The built in auto pano modes dont allow any of those things to be done (like the AEB doesn't have a useful amount of exposure difference between each shot etc).
The mavic is capable but the automatic modes tend to be overly simplistic castration modes offering no user flexibility or customisation.
But basically now instead of 3 images for a pano for example i'll need 6. It just means its going to take longer to do.

X - X - X initially now needs to be:

X - X - X
X - X - X

to get the same aspect.

...and i suspect Ohio has a far nicer climate than Wales!

Yeah, a bit and we live right by the lake so it is like an ocean really with water to the horizon, just don't get the waves you see with an ocean, but you just can't beat the Welsh scenery and beautiful coastline and mountains. I miss it a lot, as well as the close proximity of the UK to Europe. We just got back from Austria and Germany last month, I lived in Austria for 11 years. I have to say that new 48megapixel feature on the Zoom is nice for stitching large images together, if it works as well as they show in the advertising.

Well there is another thing to take into account on the new PRO 2,that is a killer for me, as in I do not want one now, and that is the fact that the gimbal does not rotate all the way down so that you can look straight down AND film at the same time. The new 2 can only look straight down if you only want to take still photos. If you wish to film video, then this gimbal will not be able to rotate down like that and allow filming, for some reason, if I have understood the new details correctly. From what I heard, they are only offering to pay out $300 for a Mavic Pro in the exchange programme, that sort of price is a joke.
Well...that's not a good feature! I can't imagine why (technically) that would be a restriction. If you can photograph pointing downward, why wouldn't you be able to record video? It's the same camera and sensor, right? Strange.

Well...that's not a good feature! I can't imagine why (technically) that would be a restriction. If you can photograph pointing downward, why wouldn't you be able to record video? It's the same camera and sensor, right? Strange.
I have thankfully, been corrected on this, if you read the posts here. I misunderstood the 90 degree thing. Apparently the new Mavic does not allow the camera to rotate/twist to a portrait mode, from a landscape position in the same way the original Mavic Pro does. It does however, still allow you to film in a 90 degree straight down position

I have thankfully, been corrected on this, if you read the posts here. I misunderstood the 90 degree thing. Apparently the new Mavic does not allow the camera to rotate/twist to a portrait mode, from a landscape position in the same way the original Mavic Pro does. It does however, still allow you to film in a 90 degree straight down position
AH...OK. I must have missed the correction. Good!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM