DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade from MP to MP2? My thoughts.

Why would you expect interchangeable lenses on the consumer model? Not even the Phantom has that.

Legacy support can hold things back. Also the MP3 is a 4 cell rather than 3 cell battery so that has a lot to do with it.

Don’t think so. I have a FMC charger that charges all of my batteries from 2 cell to 10 cell and multiple batteries at the same time plus cycle, storage, etc.

Which would have cost substantially more than the cheap, basic but functional DJI charger.

Why would you expect interchangeable lenses on the consumer model? Not even the Phantom has that.

Not a well thought out question. Does a “consumer need a 1” sensor”? What is a “consumer”. Does a consumer pay $2,000 on a drone? Is a consumer the same as an ameteur photographer who buys a $3,000 for a Nikon? How about an adventurer or professional photographer who needs the portability like the professional in the M2 intro event?

Which would have cost substantially more than the cheap, basic but functional DJI charger.

Not if the DJI customer had the option of buying one charger for all their DJI drones and buying their next DJI drone without charger.

Supposedly, DJI will be offering an after-sales service interchangeable gimbal solution. It will probably cost you something, not sure how much. Sounds like you send in your drone, and buy a new gimbal, and they mount it for you. It's sort of like retrofitting or an aftermarket thought process. It would not have killed them to offer interchangeable gimbals. After all, GoPro Karma had a dismountable gimbal that attached to a portable "grip" 2 years ago. DJI could have easily just copied that design or the engineering since they had 2 years to do it, and made the 2 gimbals interchangeable instead of having to send it in for service.

$1249 and $1449 are not what I consider consumer drones, I consider them Prosumer at this point, with the high quality of their lenses. You might disagree since you are more of a photography professional, and you look for excellence in image quality and availability of specs in the lenses that most laymen arent as interested in.

Last edited:
The Hasselblad camera with adjustable f stop is cool and useful. Of course it is a Sony sensor with Hasselblad logic. Still nice. Other features are cool. Wait for upgrades to the old firmware when sales of IIs level off.

Do you need to buy a II? Do you need a drone at all... You buy what you buy because you want too. Good discussion though.

Reactions: Former Member
I'd like to see how the Note 9 does. I had a Note and loved it. Soon using an S9+.
I unplugged it yesterday at 7am Played on it all day as normally would. Then also played a bunch of asphalt 9 (sweet game) normally the day would include one charge mid day on my old lg g5... I went until 11pm when it had 1% and I was going to bed lol
Love this phone already. And the camera is sick

As i have stated plenty times on this forum, that i only like to fly and check out the world beneath me. The more i watch youtube video's on the M2, the more i want one. I am just like the next guy, i love new tech and having a brand new toy. Sadly it would not make sense in my way of using it, but just all the cool stuff that the new camera can do, is already amazing. Maybe, if i win the lottery, it might work :) Ps. I dont even play the lottery, so that is also not going to fly ;)

As i have stated plenty times on this forum, that i only like to fly and check out the world beneath me. The more i watch youtube video's on the M2, the more i want one. I am just like the next guy, i love new tech and having a brand new toy. Sadly it would not make sense in my way of using it, but just all the cool stuff that the new camera can do, is already amazing. Maybe, if i win the lottery, it might work :) Ps. I dont even play the lottery, so that is also not going to fly ;)

Maybe this will help:

Joke about winning the lottery

Well, they are finally here. The newest iterations of the Mavic line, the long awaited Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro. A good number of Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, MPP, and Spark owners are out there asking themselves, should I upgrade? Before you jump online, spend your hard earned $1249 or $1449 for either of the two new models, there are some things you might want to consider.

As many members are, I am passionate about many things, three of them being new technology, aviation, and shiny new things. The new Mavics are aesthetically pleasing, and pack all of the cutting edge features one could want in a drone. They are pretty reasonably priced considering their capabilities, and what their competition is offering, and what their predecessors offer. The big question is, do you need or do you just want one? I dont need either of them for what I do. I take off, livestream some boring footage to Facebook, land, pack up, and go home. My Mavic Pro does an awesome job at that, so I would not personally upgrade. I am buying a bunch of MP2's for repair parts, but not flying them for fun.

Some factors to consider when making your decision might be:

• Do you need the enhanced obstacle avoidance or do you zoom around in sport mode?
  • Do you need a Hasselblad or zoom camera, or can you get by with the MP cam with digital zoom?
  • Do you need the extra 6 minutes of battery life, or could you just go buy a new MP battery for $60?
  • Do you have the money to burn if you are not using it for work?
  • Are you going to buy Refresh? If so, add another $129 to the price.
  • Need an extra battery? You can only get them from DJI, and price is $119.
  • Are you willing to be a beta tester for the MP2? There might be a few firmware fixes before it's perfect.
New drone owners might benefit from the obstacle avoidance system, but a good set of prop guards will help alot too on a Mavic Pro.

There are so many great deals on Mavic Pros out there, it is still a viable candidate for a first drone, and is a solid choice to remain in members stables for a long time to come.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun. Keep me in mind if you have a problem, and Im here to help pick up the pieces :)

Rob
Good points to consider. The most compelling reason for me to purchase a MP2 would be the 20mp camera. That said, I suspect, the Phantom 5 pro is not that far away. I may wait for it. In the mean time, my Platinum is serving the need.

The new mp2 looks good but for me it has some shortcomings that mean I'll wait, the size makes it not so easy to pack and travel as my MP it fits snuggly in my camera bag with the camera and extra lens, the MP2 would not I'm still on 700 firmware and do not want to be tied to DJI in any way so if it can't be hacked I won't be upgrading, I find the video quality fine on the 700 firmware a friend of mine who has his MP up to date firmware the video is poor compared to mine. Cost not really the issue as others have said if I like it I can buy it life is too short.
It's like all the people who missed videos of there children growing up because they were waiting for the new model!

One question I have are they going to keep making the Mavic Pro 1? It is still an amazing drone that is not at all outdated. If they kept it it would allow people a large range of different choices based on price and options.

The new mp2 looks good but for me it has some shortcomings that mean I'll wait, the size makes it not so easy to pack and travel as my MP it fits snuggly in my camera bag with the camera and extra lens, the MP2 would not I'm still on 700 firmware and do not want to be tied to DJI in any way so if it can't be hacked I won't be upgrading, I find the video quality fine on the 700 firmware a friend of mine who has his MP up to date firmware the video is poor compared to mine. Cost not really the issue as others have said if I like it I can buy it life is too short.
It's like all the people who missed videos of there children growing up because they were waiting for the new model!
Are they cutting video qualities the upgrades kind of like what computer and cell phone makers do so the new products look so much better?

It would not have killed them to offer interchangeable gimbals. After all, GoPro Karma had a dismountable gimbal that attached to a portable "grip" 2 years ago. DJI could have easily just copied that design or the engineering since they had 2 years to do it, and made the 2 gimbals interchangeable instead of having to send it in for service.

That's actually what I was hoping for after seeing the first leaked photo

I mean, what exactly is that thing to the left of the photo?

DJI-_Mavic-2leakedphoto.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1