DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA Max Flight Altitude

Altitude (disregarding aircraft above the transition altitude) is always determined by reference to the ground directly below the aircraft.

Sorry but that is incorrect terminology, altitude is in rerence to MSL, Height is in reference to ground

Reactions: sar104
Those requirements will become law when codified in 14 CFR. Until then the transition language of Section 380 applies and, as the FAA state on their website, the existing requirements of 14 CFR Part 101 apply.

This is the part that I can see leading to much current confusion.

However, I can also understand prior confusion. Even the FAA could not get their facts correct (which is probably where much of the confusion started). Which they have updated their information to be correct at this time, I can see where it still confuses come people. But then add to this the "current" changes (again) and I think it's a little more confusing. I see the problem being not understanding the correct information but more so, the correct information being misrepresented, confusing and changing.

Even with the new laws, they _still_ left in some confusing items. IMHO, the CBO issue still remains unresolved and open for interpretation. I have no reason to argue over it... I think it simply safe to ignore at this time.

I am in awe that this is so difficult for so many. And the ones who can't understand the basic current law are the most opiniated.

That is always the case in real life, not just in forums. My old man use to say “the smartest people he ever met were always modest and the dumbest ones were always so opinionated and sure of themselves”

It is correct to use the term 'altitude' for either above mean sea lever (MSL) or above ground level (AGL): for example, altitude MSL or altitude AGL. Appending the appropriate term MSL/AGL avoids any confusion.

Nick

The sad matter of fact is that with a few clicks of the mouse, one can quite easily obtain the answer. This is one reason I always keep the current release of AMA Safety Rules on the ‘puter and pad. The FAA www is bookmarked as well. Far too easy to fact-check! If one is still truly in doubt after that, default to the safer, more logical of the choices.

Definitely! The advice to search this forum for info on regulations is poor advice. Search the regs. Easy to do , and then you know what the facts are, not what people claim them to be.

Here is a link to the FAA site with info for recreational fliers. Hopefully, if you are flying commercially, you know the rules.
Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations
And a tiny excerpt:
  • Fly at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled airspace (Class G).
But please don't take my word for it, go to the FAA site.

Last edited:
Sorry but that is incorrect terminology, altitude is in rerence to MSL, Height is in reference to ground

Agreed. I used the term because that was how the question was framed, but height AGL is probably more understandable as well as being technically correct.

Definitely! The advice to search this forum for info on regulations is poor advice. Search the regs. Easy to do , and then you know what the facts are, not what people claim them to be.

Here is a link to the FAA site with info for recreational fliers. Hopefully, if you are flying commercially, you know the rules.
Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations
And a tiny excerpt:
  • Fly at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled airspace (Class G).
But please don't take my word for it, go to the FAA site.

That's FAA advice though, it's not (until Section 349 is codified) law. The law is still 14 CFR Part 101, not the FAA website.

That's FAA advice though, it's not (until Section 349 is codified) law. The law is still 14 CFR Part 101, not the FAA website.
The FAA Modernization and Reform Act (PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012), is the latest law I know of and it says to fly as a hobbyist, you must do certain things. Item two under this says: " (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;". Is there such an organization that does not have a 400 ft altitude limit for hobbyists? I haven't been active for a while, so I defer to your info. I know there have been a lot of changes. Is this one of the things which has changed?
Thanks, and fly safe.

The FAA Modernization and Reform Act (PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012), is the latest law I know of and it says to fly as a hobbyist, you must do certain things. Item two under this says: " (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;". Is there such an organization that does not have a 400 ft altitude limit for hobbyists? I haven't been active for a while, so I defer to your info. I know there have been a lot of changes. Is this one of the things which has changed?
Thanks, and fly safe.

Yes - the AMA, which is really the only organization that clearly meets the description, only mentions a 400 ft limit within 3 miles of airports.

www.modelaircraft.org/files/100.pdf

We all understood what the post was intending to explain. No need to bring your own semantics into it.

Nope, not my own semantics, it's the ICAO recognised standard, I only mentioned it as the poster was obviously doing his best to correct missunderstandings by others, no need to get defensive and stick your oar in SAR obviously know what he is talking about.

If everyone goes around using incorrect terminology, eventually everyone would talk like a Toobe and nobody would understand wtf anyone was saying, In fact it's a creeping effect that modern schooling has already allowed by not correcting pupils and telling them "it's ok kid I knew what you meant"

The internet has accelerated the decline
and Nick, No, it's not

Reactions: Drgnfli
No I'm not saying lie to them. point them in the right direction of the Community based rules that has been established to maintain our freedom to fly.
The most important rule, I believe, is to USE YOUR FREAKING BRAIN!
Would you walk 1500 meters away from a $1100 camera and leave it on a beach or in the woods and hope that you will find it later? If not, then why would you send your drone 1500 feet away? Use your brain people.

The most important rule, I believe, is to USE YOUR FREAKING BRAIN!
Would you walk 1500 meters away from a $1100 camera and leave it on a beach or in the woods and hope that you will find it later? If not, then why would you send your drone 1500 feet away? Use your brain people.
Analogy fail

Please post links to all your night flights and flights over 400 feet in the U.S., I have "FRIENDS" Who would love to see them, since you say no laws restricting these activities.

Please post links to all your night flights and flights over 400 feet in the U.S., I have "FRIENDS" Who would love to see them, since you say no laws restricting these activities.

If you had said "beyond VLOS" that would have been more pertinent. But since most (all?) of this discussion has been about recreational flights, under which neither night flying nor a 400 ft altitude limit are regulated, it kind of misses its mark.

Reactions: tleedom and JDawg
So Is this DJI covering their own *** when adjusting altitude beyond what they themselves state as US local law or regulation?

I’ve yet to mess with flying higher than 400’. As always, best situational judgment should prevail.

8564706A-83D0-4C2D-A691-73BD9A3D5F27.png

Couple things. If you fly higher than 400 feet you could be hit by a plane, causing it to crash and kill everyone onboard. How about that for a reason not to fly over 400 feet. Second, the days of hobbyist are coming to an end, soon everyone that flys in Federal Airspace will need a pilots license. 3rd you can only fly up to 400 feet in Unrestricted airspace. If you are in Controlled airspace your altitude is limited based on the airport and type of controlled space you are in. Finally instead of getting advice on 'online boards' like this why not take a legit online class or find out if your local college or community have drone classes. By the way you also need to register your drone and put the numbers on it. You can fly in national parks or over people, you can find all these rules on the FAA website.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
Couple things. If you fly higher than 400 feet you could be hit by a plane, causing it to crash and kill everyone onboard. How about that for a reason not to fly over 400 feet. Second, the days of hobbyist are coming to an end, soon everyone that flys in Federal Airspace will need a pilots license. 3rd you can only fly up to 400 feet in Unrestricted airspace. If you are in Controlled airspace your altitude is limited based on the airport and type of controlled space you are in. Finally instead of getting advice on 'online boards' like this why not take a legit online class or find out if your local college or community have drone classes. By the way you also need to register your drone and put the numbers on it. You can fly in national parks or over people, you can find all these rules on the FAA website.

There's nothing magical about 400'agl. Flying below 400'agl will not prevent a collision with a manned aircraft. Many manned aircraft fly below 400'agl.

Having to pass a test of some sort to fly doesn't mean that one is no longer a hobbyist.

As a recreational flyer, I DO NOT have to register my aircraft. I register myself as an owner of a hobby UAV. The FAA registration as a hobbyist requires no aircraft information at all. The registration number that I put on my aircraft is MY registration number.

Nick

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf