DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB-C TO LIGHTNING CABLE need modification for tablet holder!

J.C.

Reactions
If you look at the original wire that comes with the remote the USB-C that connect in remote as a notch to it so it goes down and sit in place if you take a standard wire without that notch it will connect but not strong connection and this is why some people got app disconnect.. it happened to me. So we will have to make that notch manually so it goes down completely in the USB-C connection?

Last edited:
If you look at the original wire that comes with the remote the USB-C that connect in remote as a notch to it so it goes down and sit in place if you take a standard wire without that notch it will connect but not strong connection and this is why some people got app disconnect.. it happened to me. So we will have to make that notch manually so it goes down completely in the USB-C connection?
Also be aware that because DJI have made the Air 2 lightning plug with a side entry wire, it will not insert properly on an iphone 11 Pro Lifeproof protection case - my preferred rugged case for outdoors phone usage. This may happen on other cover cases, also. It is frustrating having to remove the iphone from its protective case every time it is needed for DJI Fly on the RC. There was no need for DJI to design a side plug. All other iphone cables that I have seen have end fitted wires. The Air 2 could have accommodated storage of the same type.

Has anyone found a usb-c to lightning cable for an ipad? I tried an aukey x 1' long and it doesn't work.

The bottom is where you charge the controller, the USB C port by the antenna is where you plug it with the other end going to your iPad.

The bottom is where you charge the controller, the USB C port by the antenna is where you plug it with the other end going to your iPad.
I think you better notch your cable at USB C end because it might not be inserted completely

Further to my earlier comment about having to remove my Lifeproof Heavy Duty protection case off my iPhone 11 Pro mobile, every time I needed to connect it to the Mavic Air 2 remote control unit simply because DJI decided to create a USB-C to Lightning cable that had a 90 degree cable attachment at the Lightning plug (which would not fit with the case on), I have also, today, found an alternative cable that will work. It is sourced through New Zealand retailer PBTech for locals who may be interested ($NZ19.00; currently on special at $NZ11.00 ea.), but this store may also provide its online ordering for overseas buyers, too. I have tested the cable connection and the DJI Fly app works fine, through to the Air 2 drone. The cable is 0.3 metres long (about a foot), so is ideal for the purpose. Hopefully, DJI will read this posting (and others) and consider producing future Lightning cable stock with the cable designed as a straight through plug, enabling iPhones to be kept in their protective cases. I don't know if the same issue applies to different smartphones using the other DJI cables that arrive with the Air 2. With drones being flown in a wide range of rugged environments, there is always a risk of smartphones being dropped and damaged, so DJI has not produced a good design for their (Apple product) plug. However, the other good result is that the new cable can still be unplugged at both ends and then be wrapped inside the controller cavity, the same as for the DJI-supplied cable. And the new cable also has specially reinforced plug entries, being the weakest points on any cable (apparently tested to 80,000 "swings"). I would expect this cable/plug to fit other Apple products (iphones, tablets) that use the Lightning socket, in the same way.

[An image of the alternative cable, connected to my Air 2 RC, is attached below.]

MAVIC AIR 2 TO IPHONE CABLE.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve just bought this cable after searching for one for one because I have the same problem with my iPhone 11 being in an Otterbox Defender. How’s it been doing? Had any issues with the cable?

Brilliant. Strong. No problems at all. Even fits inside RC. At the price, I also bought a spare but doubt I will ever need it (unless I lose the first one). Cheers ??

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN