Join Us Now

USB cable - the ultimate solution :-)

Are you excited?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
Yes i need this for iphone plus size phone. Pm me for payment and postage to Australia

Yes, I'm excited to buy a cable for $20 that probably costs this dude 50 cents to make.

I'm excited to buy a cable for $20 when I can purchase a comparable cable for $3.

Why so expensive? Don't tell me it's due solely to the MFI cert because that doesn't raise the price to that extent.

What does a complete cable cost you to tool?

Very excited!

Reactions: kika
Yes, I'm excited to buy a cable for $20 that probably costs this dude 50 cents to make.

It costs 50 cents (actually a little over a dollar) to manufacture one cable given that the tooling to manufacture was dropped down to Earth from the outer space by aliens. This dollar+ includes the costs of the cable (wire), plastic for the connectors housings, a small PCB inside the lightning connector, connectors themselves, MFI chip with license and the salary of the person operating the machine (a couple of machines, actually).
Given all this (sans the machines, which cost tens of thousands) how long would it take for you to manufacture one cable? It took me a day to build a first ugly prototype which wouldn't survive more than a few days being actually used. And it was ugly as hell.

If you charge 50 cents to build a cable, I'll send you the components, pay you $1 and will sell them for $1.70. Did we get a deal? You will be making the bulk of the profit.

Chinese folks are not so advanced at hand crafts - they need to build a mold. Which takes a few weeks to manufacture from a very hard steel and costs a few thousand dollars. Then every time they run a batch of cables, they need to change the molds from what they were running before to my molds, recalibrate the machine (injection pressure, cut off, etc. ), run my cables and then change back. It takes a few hours while they were able to manufacture more popular cables and someone needs to cover this loss.

In other words, if you are not taking my previous deal, we can turn it the other way around - you buy a million cables, and you can set your own price. Now do we have a deal or not?!? :)

Unfortunately, I can neither foot the bill for a million cables upfront nor hope to sell that much. I'm contemplating the first batch within a few hundred tops.

It costs 50 cents (actually a little over a dollar) to manufacture one cable given that the tooling to manufacture was dropped down to Earth from the outer space by aliens. This dollar+ includes the costs of the cable (wire), plastic for the connectors housings, a small PCB inside the lightning connector, connectors themselves, MFI chip with license and the salary of the person operating the machine (a couple of machines, actually).
Given all this (sans the machines, which cost tens of thousands) how long would it take for you to manufacture one cable? It took me a day to build a first ugly prototype which wouldn't survive more than a few days being actually used. And it was ugly as ****.

If you charge 50 cents to build a cable, I'll send you the components, pay you $1 and will sell them for $1.70. Did we get a deal? You will be making the bulk of the profit.

Chinese folks are not so advanced at hand crafts - they need to build a mold. Which takes a few weeks to manufacture from a very hard steel and costs a few thousand dollars. Then every time they run a batch of cables, they need to change the molds from what they were running before to my molds, recalibrate the machine (injection pressure, cut off, etc. ), run my cables and then change back. It takes a few hours while they were able to manufacture more popular cables and someone needs to cover this loss.

In other words, if you are not taking my previous deal, we can turn it the other way around - you buy a million cables, and you can set your own price. Now do we have a deal or not?!? :)

Unfortunately, I can neither foot the bill for a million cables upfront nor hope to sell that much. I'm contemplating the first batch within a few hundred tops.
Great speech but all the words in the World can't hide the fact that you didn't answer the question (Maybe on purpose I suspect). Again, how much does a completed cable cost you and your alien friends to manufacture? Simple question.

Cheap Apple Lightning cables are usually well....cheaply made. They might say they are MFI certified but for a price under USD5 this is barely possible. The proper MFI chips + the connector nearly cost as much when bought in bulk. And that is before the cable is manufactured.
The Chinese are very good at faking these cables with subpar home-brew and fake MFI chips. These chips cut a lot of corners are are for sure not way as reliable as proper MFI cables. Just have a look here: Spotting the signs of a fake Apple Lightning cable

So if you want to save a few bucks and get a 'cheap' lightning cable go ahead. But I would not trust my USD1200 drone to a piece of crap like that.

Keep in mind that the absolute minimum price you can manufacture am MFI certified cable us around the USD7 incl. packaging, etc. Anything cheaper than that is to be looked at with hawk eyes.

Put me down for one, maybe two. I don't care at all what it cost you to make, $20 for a short run, quality lightning cable is a good price.

Yes, interested.... I have bought EVERY configuration I can find, and although I have found a good system, your 90 degree down looks even better.

Currently I'm using this: Amazon.com: RAYSUN 2 Packs 90 Degree Micro USB Male to USB 2.0 A Male - Right & Left Angle Each 1pc (2 Pack 90 Degree Micro USB M- USB M): Computers & Accessories

I use one for my USB out into my 10" Tab S2 tablet and the other to my 10,000mha battery pack I velcro on the back of my controller to keep it charged during several long flights.

If you make these please include me on your list, I would like to compare it to my current setup :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S