DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using AC multi-charger with Car Inverter

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
Hey all,

I have this Fstop multi-charger coming.

Can I use it with this power inverter for the car (into the cigarette lighter port)? The charger states it's 250W total, and the inverter is 300W.

Would I be off with this 400W inverter? (There's a 750W there too.)

I ask because I have a multi-port charger for my P3P and the BESTEK 300W inverter does not run it properly (it won't charge them in series). I always suspected that it was because the Phantom batteries pull more voltage, but I'm not really much of a toaster-tech.

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

Hey all,

Can I use it with this power inverter for the car (into the cigarette lighter port)? The charger states it's 250W total, and the inverter is 300W.

I ask because I have a multi-port charger for my P3P and the BESTEK 300W inverter does not run it properly (it won't charge them in series). I always suspected that it was because the Phantom batteries pull more voltage, but I'm not really much of a toaster-tech.

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

A cars cigarette lighter outlet output is dependent on the fuse that regulates power to it. Typically 15 amps and almost all modern car batteries are 12 volts. 12*15=180 watts max. Additionally you’ll get some loss when converting from DC to AC and then back to DC so probably less.

That's most unlikely to work, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, these cheap inverters put out really poor waveforms that often don't work well with switched-mode power devices. Secondly, they rarely deliver anything close to their rated power - in this case you will potentially be pulling over 250 W, and the 400 W rating, while sounding reasonable, is probably not going to cut it. Thirdly, the killer is the current draw. Even if the inverter were 100% efficient, at 250 W you will be pulling 20 A from your lighter socket. That's going to overload that circuit and (hopefully) blow the fuse.

If you want to use an AC multi-charger then you are going to need to install a higher-rated (I'd go to 1200 W), and preferably pure-sine-wave inverter directly to the vehicle battery.

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
If you want to use an AC multi-charger then you are going to need to install a higher-rated (I'd go to 1200 W), and preferably pure-sine-wave inverter directly to the vehicle battery.
With that sort of wattage you'll most likely need to hook it right tongue battery directly. Car wiring generally isn't that forgiving.

I wired a socket direct from the battery with inline fuse plug inverter into that and use the 4 battery station in the car works like a charm

Hey all,

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris
I use a besttek inverter (the ccup holder variety) in my 2017 corolla and it works fine! However, I don't plug in my mavic 2 power bank but use the car charger for the batteries. I find (I have 4 batteries) that just charging one battery at a time suits me well for a whole day of flying. I can also at the same time charge my controller and phone.

Hey all,

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

Hi

Get original one
It is better for your car

I have a 300 watt inverter in my vehicle and I charge batteries one-at-a-time without any problems.
I have 4 batteries for my Phantom and 3 for my Mavic. Every time I deplete a battery, it goes on the charger.
Patience and planning - or a chance to take a walk and plan the next shot.

Reactions: mereflyer
Hey all,

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

An inexpensive and better solution is Fstop Labs Car Battery Charger Accessories for Use with DJI Mavic 2.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh