DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using AC multi-charger with Car Inverter

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
Hey all,

I have this Fstop multi-charger coming.

Can I use it with this power inverter for the car (into the cigarette lighter port)? The charger states it's 250W total, and the inverter is 300W.

Would I be off with this 400W inverter? (There's a 750W there too.)

I ask because I have a multi-port charger for my P3P and the BESTEK 300W inverter does not run it properly (it won't charge them in series). I always suspected that it was because the Phantom batteries pull more voltage, but I'm not really much of a toaster-tech.

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

Hey all,

Can I use it with this power inverter for the car (into the cigarette lighter port)? The charger states it's 250W total, and the inverter is 300W.

I ask because I have a multi-port charger for my P3P and the BESTEK 300W inverter does not run it properly (it won't charge them in series). I always suspected that it was because the Phantom batteries pull more voltage, but I'm not really much of a toaster-tech.

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

A cars cigarette lighter outlet output is dependent on the fuse that regulates power to it. Typically 15 amps and almost all modern car batteries are 12 volts. 12*15=180 watts max. Additionally you’ll get some loss when converting from DC to AC and then back to DC so probably less.

That's most unlikely to work, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, these cheap inverters put out really poor waveforms that often don't work well with switched-mode power devices. Secondly, they rarely deliver anything close to their rated power - in this case you will potentially be pulling over 250 W, and the 400 W rating, while sounding reasonable, is probably not going to cut it. Thirdly, the killer is the current draw. Even if the inverter were 100% efficient, at 250 W you will be pulling 20 A from your lighter socket. That's going to overload that circuit and (hopefully) blow the fuse.

If you want to use an AC multi-charger then you are going to need to install a higher-rated (I'd go to 1200 W), and preferably pure-sine-wave inverter directly to the vehicle battery.

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
If you want to use an AC multi-charger then you are going to need to install a higher-rated (I'd go to 1200 W), and preferably pure-sine-wave inverter directly to the vehicle battery.
With that sort of wattage you'll most likely need to hook it right tongue battery directly. Car wiring generally isn't that forgiving.

I wired a socket direct from the battery with inline fuse plug inverter into that and use the 4 battery station in the car works like a charm

Hey all,

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris
I use a besttek inverter (the ccup holder variety) in my 2017 corolla and it works fine! However, I don't plug in my mavic 2 power bank but use the car charger for the batteries. I find (I have 4 batteries) that just charging one battery at a time suits me well for a whole day of flying. I can also at the same time charge my controller and phone.

Hey all,

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

Hi

Get original one
It is better for your car

I have a 300 watt inverter in my vehicle and I charge batteries one-at-a-time without any problems.
I have 4 batteries for my Phantom and 3 for my Mavic. Every time I deplete a battery, it goes on the charger.
Patience and planning - or a chance to take a walk and plan the next shot.

Reactions: mereflyer
Hey all,

Thanks for any pointers,
Chris

An inexpensive and better solution is Fstop Labs Car Battery Charger Accessories for Use with DJI Mavic 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee