DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Phantom 4 Pro controller on a Mavic 2 Pro?

I'd stick to the P4P it has a better camera

Reactions: JimCanada
I'd stick to the P4P it has a better camera

Yes, I'm sticking with the three P4P v2's I own. I'll be needing a packable smaller Mavic for airline travel soon. As a pro photographer, I know the camera is better (not by much). I'm anticipating an even better camera on the Mavic 3 later this year (maybe!).

That image quality comparison video has limited value to me, though I agree with the results. He is only comparing VIDEO frames. I shoot stills in RAW mode. I need a similar comparison under those conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starz
Yes, I'm sticking with the three P4P v2's I own. I'll be needing a packable smaller Mavic for airline travel soon. As a pro photographer, I know the camera is better (not by much). I'm anticipating an even better camera on the Mavic 3 later this year (maybe!).
No mavic 3 this year. And I would wait a year after it is release.
How much "better" of a camera do you want? The new Nikon D6 is 20MP because that is a sweet spot that balances ISO performance and resolution that pros like. I suppose they will do the standard camera marketing trick and jack the MPs.

If you want a quantum leap in cameras pick up an inspire.

No mavic 3 this year. And I would wait a year after it is release.
How much "better" of a camera do you want? The new Nikon D6 is 20MP because that is a sweet spot that balances ISO performance and resolution that pros like. I suppose they will do the standard camera marketing trick and jack the MPs.

If you want a quantum leap in cameras pick up an inspire.

I've never used an Inspire, but I imagine the image quality is a bit better because of the lenses but the resolution is the same. The last 20 MP pro Canon body I bought was at least ten years ago. My current 5DSR's are 50 MP.

How much "better" of a camera do I want? Two factors. One is pixel count, I'd like to see closer to thirty. And then there is image quality, such as way better performance in low light conditions with less noise. Perhaps the ability to use higher ISO without losing quality. That would be a BIG one for drone cameras. I never use anything over ISO 100 because of noise and quality degradation. On my current Canons and Fujis, I can shoot up to 3200 with good results. Most drone snappers probably have no idea what I'm saying, but as a fine art printmaker this is important stuff.

The new Nikon D6 is 20MP because that is a sweet spot FOR MARKETING AND SALES. Affordability. There are no tricks. If I had 75 MP my images may not be better, but processing and printing and cropping would all be improved. Those that work at these levels understand.

I've never used an Inspire, but I imagine the image quality is a bit better because of the lenses but the resolution is the same. The last 20 MP pro Canon body I bought was at least ten years ago. My current 5DSR's are 50 MP.

How much "better" of a camera do I want? Two factors. One is pixel count, I'd like to see closer to thirty. And then there is image quality, such as way better performance in low light conditions with less noise. Perhaps the ability to use higher ISO without losing quality. That would be a BIG one for drone cameras. I never use anything over ISO 100 because of noise and quality degradation. On my current Canons and Fujis, I can shoot up to 3200 with good results. Most drone snappers probably have no idea what I'm saying, but as a fine art printmaker this is important stuff.

The new Nikon D6 is 20MP because that is a sweet spot FOR MARKETING AND SALES. Affordability. There are no tricks. If I had 75 MP my images may not be better, but processing and printing and cropping would all be improved. Those that work at these levels understand.
Well I realize you’re a Canon shooter so you probably don’t know much about a D6 the body is $6000 so I don’t think it was for marketing and sales. Pretty sure it’s because that’s what the pros want.
They would rather have super good ISO performance and high FPS and superfast focusing. And they don’t fall into the mega pixel fallacy.

The real question is how much are you willing to pay for a 70 megapixel camera. My guess is it would add at least $2500 to the price of the drone.

Go take a look at phase 1 cameras For a quick price check.

That’s why I recommend the inspire it doesn’t come with the camera and there are several compatible cameras that can be put on it.
Maybe there’s not a 70 Mp yet But you have the best chance of putting a different camera on it.
Plus you can have interchangeable lenses.

Well I realize you’re a Canon shooter so you probably don’t know much about a D6 the body is $6000 so I don’t think it was for marketing and sales. Pretty sure it’s because that’s what the pros want.
They would rather have super good ISO performance and high FPS and superfast focusing. And they don’t fall into the mega pixel fallacy.

The real question is how much are you willing to pay for a 70 megapixel camera. My guess is it would add at least $2500 to the price of the drone.

Go take a look at phase 1 cameras For a quick price check.

That’s why I recommend the inspire it doesn’t come with the camera and there are several compatible cameras that can be put on it.
Maybe there’s not a 70 Mp yet But you have the best chance of putting a different camera on it.
Plus you can have interchangeable lenses.

You're correct, Done. And Canon has a similar mid pixel count 1DxIII, also for more dollars. But both the Nikon and Canon here are for very specific purposes, such as birders and sports shooters. There are many different needs for high end cameras, and as a mostly landscape, architecture, studio and general purpose shooter, the features that make those cameras special are not needed by me. So, that's where I come from and my comments as well.

I was under the impression that the Inspires use the proprietary line of Zenmuse lenses. Can you attach a third party lens to them? Are there adapters for Canon, Nikon, Sony or Zeiss? I don't know.

High pixel count cameras are not a fallacy. They may simply have a different purpose for photography than you do.

Can you attach a third party lens to them?
Currently, there are 4 DJI prime lenses for the X7:

DJI 16mm f/2.8 ASPH ND Lens
DJI 24mm f/2.8 ASPH LS Lens
DJI 35mm f/2.8 ASPH LS Lens
DJI 50mm f/2.8 ASPH LS Lens

The only 3rd party lens I am aware of is the

LAOWA 9mm f/2.8

Are there adapters for Canon, Nikon, Sony or Zeiss?
You have to know that adding significant weight to the camera/lens makes it impossible to balance the gimbal and therefore renders the camera useless.

Several Olympus lenses are usable also. 12mm and 17mm.
Just now trying the Laowa 7.5

Several Olympus lenses are usable also. 12mm and 17mm.
Just now trying the Laowa 7.5
Those are lenses with Micro Four Thirds mounts, not for the DL mount the X7 is using.

The Inspire 2 is significantly better- and not just because of the lenses. The APS-C sensor is much larger than the 1” in the P4P and Mavic. Larger photosites = improved SNR, high ISO performance and the freedom to shoot at smaller aperture before hitting the diffraction limit.

The 20mp canon you are taking about was probably the 1Ds Mk3, I still have 2 from when they were released in 2008 and they work perfectly. Built like tanks.

If you are a pro shooter with the revenue to justify it Inspire 2 or larger platform that can fly your DSLR’s would seem the obvious choice.

The Inspire 2 is significantly better- and not just because of the lenses. The APS-C sensor is much larger than the 1” in the P4P and Mavic. Larger photosites = improved SNR, high ISO performance and the freedom to shoot at smaller aperture before hitting the diffraction limit.

The 20mp canon you are taking about was probably the 1Ds Mk3, I still have 2 from when they were released in 2008 and they work perfectly. Built like tanks.

If you are a pro shooter with the revenue to justify it Inspire 2 or larger platform that can fly your DSLR’s would seem the obvious choice.

Thanks, W.T.Birds. I owned a 1DsIII for a long time as my main camera. Loved every minute of it.

I never thought that full frame intended lenses from Canon or Nikon would work on an Inspire. Was just curious. How about the Fuji X mount? I have a couple of XPro2's and a bunch of lenses. Great quality. Handy size.

Thanks, W.T.Birds. I owned a 1DsIII for a long time as my main camera. Loved every minute of it.

I never thought that full frame intended lenses from Canon or Nikon would work on an Inspire. Was just curious. How about the Fuji X mount? I have a couple of XPro2's and a bunch of lenses. Great quality. Handy size.
I’m pretty sure the DJI X7 won’t take canon lenses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections