DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using RTH

tmills

Reactions
I've heard some people on videos about the mavic pro say that we shouldn't always use the RTH feature when we wish to bring our drones back home to land. Why is that? Is there a problem with using the RTH feature?

I've heard some people on videos about the mavic pro say that we shouldn't always use the RTH feature when we wish to bring our drones back home to land. Why is that? Is there a problem with using the RTH feature?
I use RTH 95% of the time when bringing my Mavic back home and NEVER had any issues. Just set your RTH altitude high enough to avoid any trees/structures.

In general, it's safer to fly when you have full control of your Mavic. When you get into using any of the automated flight features, you could run into trouble if something does not perform as expected (or more likely as you expected it would). If you understand how to use the automated flight features and you know how to cancel them (if needed), then there's really no harm in using them.

In general, it's safer to fly when you have full control of your Mavic. When you get into using any of the automated flight features, you could run into trouble if something does not perform as expected (or more likely as you expected it would). If you understand how to use the automated flight features and you know how to cancel them (if needed), then there's really no harm in using them.
Yeah but using RTH "frees up" my hands so I can hold my cigar and beer can. ;)

I rarely use RTH only because I can get the Mavic landed much faster by flying it manually. I mostly use RTH when I'm trying to show off how neat it is to someone else :D.

Thanks for the input......I have found that the RTH feature sure is easy to use. I was just curious as to why some ppl advise NOT using the RTH for normal landing.

I was just curious as to why some ppl advise NOT using the RTH for normal landing.
When you see it mentioned, ask them :)

I use 95% manual control on return home. It's good to have a control and grow up reliability to your own skills.

Automatic functions are good help when you are taking videos cable cam style. Orbit function is also nice.

Seems like the people who tend use the RTH function the most are the ones who could use the most stick time to begin with.

I don't because I got completely freaked the first time I tried to use it on my second flight. I was in a wide open field (Marymoor Park in Redmond, WA) and though my home point was at my location (I had not moved and inch) and my RTH altitude was set at 70m, it flew up to 120m and landed on the other side of 520 (about 400m away). I nearly killed the engines in pure panic but didn't want it to fall on a car.

I had my 8 year old daughter with me who was helping and she remembered me checking all the settings. I'm a lot more comfortable with it now and would probably try it in a pinch but holy crap did that scare me. It took me two weeks of flying to trust the Mavic again.

I have never used rth, how is it activated by the button? Is it one press, or a short then long?

Reactions: WizDrone
I dont use it. I had a scare when i first got it, testing the RTH function. I flew to the back of my property and just flew around to run down the battery and test it. The low battery warning kicked in and it prompted me to use the RTH function. I clicked yes and the drone started coming back to me. Then suddenly it just stopped for no reason and hovered. I tried kicking out of the RTH, but it wouldnt let me. The controls were useless. Then the drone would move about 10 feet then hover again, all the while the **** controller is just beeping and now it said critical battery. Just repeated this process until it dropped down in a field 100yrds from me.Thankfully no trees were around. Since then I dont trust it. I turned it off and just manually fly back.
Just my 2 cents

I don't know why people say that because I use it all the time. Sometimes I go so far out I just hit RTH and set the controller down and wait for it to come back. Once it's close I usually take control and land it or let it land on its own.

RTH is not an emergency only thing.

Reactions: tmills
I've only had one problem with using RTH.....for some reason after I hit the RTH button the mavic decided to go somewhere else. It for some reason had changed the home point and when she said "landing," and the mavic was no where around, I knew there was something wrong. I still don't know why it changed home points in mid-flight, but it did. Fortunately I was able to cancel RTH and then locate it on the map, and then direct it back home. Scared the crap out of me........
Anybody else experience anything like this?

I've only had one problem with using RTH.....for some reason after I hit the RTH button the mavic decided to go somewhere else. It for some reason had changed the home point and when she said "landing," and the mavic was no where around, I knew there was something wrong. I still don't know why it changed home points in mid-flight, but it did. Fortunately I was able to cancel RTH and then locate it on the map, and then direct it back home. Scared the crap out of me........
Anybody else experience anything like this?
Did you move from your original take off point while flying?

Did you move from your original take off point while flying?
No, I did not. And I even remember her saying at takeoff that the home point was recorded. After I located the drone on the map I brought it closer to me and then hit "RTH" again, and it took off in another direction. I was able to cancel and manually bring it home. Very bizarre.

Seems like the people who tend use the RTH function the most are the ones who could use the most stick time to begin with.
Couldn't be further from the truth. I use it 90% of the time simply because I think it's cool to watch it do it's thing.

This is me flying a 71" RC plane. I think my stick skills are OK.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000