DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using SUA's for Security purposes on private property/or land

gingerness76

Reactions
Good evening I hope and trust everyone who reads this post is well and enjoying life!!. I have a question regarding using a SUA for security purposes on private property/or land, is this aloud having looked at the ANO (CAP 393) it states that.

"Restriction on aerial photography, aerial survey and aerial work in aircraft registered elsewhere than in the UK. Permissions from other EEC states are accepted by the CAA. Not all states recognise UAS/RPAS in the same way, so effectively an aircraft with a camera is a ‘spy’ until explicitly recognised otherwise. Be aware of overseas operations"!

If anyone has any advise please feel free to express your opinion as all advise will be taken on board. Thank you in advance for reading this post

Hi, maybe post up a bit more detail - you will likely get more replies - like where you are and are you looking to do this in that country or some other country.

I know in the UK, if you're flying as part of a business or you are receiving any sort of remuneration for flying, then you need to be registered and hold the correct insurances etc.

Not sure if having the licence to fly a drone commercialy in one country allows you too fly under that licence commercialy in another country -even in the EU- if that's what your asking?
Wouldn't have thought so, things are not that joined up yet, most countries are too busy working out how to ban them or at least restrict their use

Hi, welcome to the forum.
If its in the UK and its your land then no problem, if its for a friend say, and they give you permission to fly around their land and you keep an eye on it whilst flying, again i dont see a problem with that, to me no diffrent to say walking your dog across their land or any other activity and you would alert if you saw something going on that they wouldn't like or allow.
To me that's just being a good friend

Obviously if your doing it for money though, or anything you do with your drome that furthers your business or you are rewarded for, then you need to be registered/licenced, plus if you're filming people and storing their image/data you may have to be in compliance with the UK data protection act and keep records etc

As for using it abroad for security purposes id look very carefully and check local laws/regulations on it before doing so, even if licenced, as even tourists with cameras have got in hot water for filming/ taking photos abroad , a group of UK plane spotters got banged up in Greece a while back just for taking photos of some planes at a public airport.

Anyway that's my take on it all, but might be worth a look on the CAA website or giving them a call to be sure and to stay within the law.

Fly safe, regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15