DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Waypoints without turning on drone or controller.

Hi,
Is there a way of using the "Waypoint" feature on the DJI Mavic 2 without having to turn on the drone or controller?

Thanks.

Not if you are using the smart controller, and you face severe limitations using device based Go4 disconnected. At least if you are using DJI's Waypoints 2.0. I have switched to Litchi... ...just be sure to get the Amazon App Store version for the smart controller as the Google version is not ported to it(???) I feel as though the upgrade in GCS capabilities has saved my investment in the Mavic 2 and accessories.
As mentioned below, there is a way to utilize WP2.0 but only after turning on all devices and then entering WP, before shutting them (quad and tx) down. TBS, I found myself having to use Mapbox Basic, which has so little detail (even streets and roads) away from population centers that it is impractical. Planning missions beginning away from your quad or outside of your 8 km circle also seems unnecessarily difficult. Now I find myself changing settings to use wp.
Also, there seems to be a compass error problem creeping in when planning distant missions. I was unable to determine what was happening there, but my camera was not pointing correctly, and was consistently off. These problems are no longer on my horizon, so to speak
Any of this information could be off or recently out-of-date. I am no longer qualified to comment on WP 2.0, was never an expert with it, and couldn't be happier..;) That being said, I am using Litchi as a replacement for Way Points 2.0 ONLY! It does not replace the Go4 app for any other flight mode. Too bad you can not call up Litchi from within the Go4 app!
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
Not if you are using the smart controller, and you face severe limitations using device based Go4 disconnected. At least if you are using DJI's Waypoints 2.0. I have switched to Litchi... ...just be sure to get the Amazon App Store version for the smart controller as the Google version is not ported to it(???)
I'm not using the Smart controller, just the regular controller.

Much easier IMO to use one of the vastly better Mission apps like Dronelink or Litchi.

Not if you are using the smart controller, and you face severe limitations using device based Go4 disconnected. At least if you are using DJI's Waypoints 2.0. I have switched to Litchi... ...just be sure to get the Amazon App Store version for the smart controller as the Google version is not ported to it(???) I feel as though the upgrade in GCS capabilities has saved my investment in the Mavic 2 and accessories.
As mentioned below, there is a way to utilize WP2.0 but only after turning on all devices and then entering WP, before shutting them (quad and tx) down. TBS, I found myself having to use Mapbox Basic, which has so little detail (even streets and roads) away from population centers that it is impractical. Planning missions beginning away from your quad or outside of your 8 km circle also seems unnecessarily difficult. Now I find myself changing settings to use wp.
Also, there seems to be a compass error problem creeping in when planning distant missions. I was unable to determine what was happening there, but my camera was not pointing correctly, and was consistently off. These problems are no longer on my horizon, so to speak
Any of this information could be off or recently out-of-date. I am no longer qualified to comment on WP 2.0, was never an expert with it, and couldn't be happier..;) That being said, I am using Litchi as a replacement for Way Points 2.0 ONLY! It does not replace the Go4 app for any other flight mode. Too bad you can not call up Litchi from within the Go4 app!
Good Luck!
Final comment here-I am going to keep my DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom. There is nothing else in its class, but-
There are things I would like to change.
As far as needing Litchi, I may be wrong-
DJI offers WayPoints Pro for free, this addresses many of the issues I felt were solved by Litchi.
I have not yet researched price, but DJI also offers a desktop mission planner version. If it is free, I will probably use it!
These are both in the DJI download center.
That being said, I went ahead and registered my Smart Controller as a Google device to use google maps and other apps. I found that info on this forum.
Good Luck!

Reactions: SIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi