DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Variable ND Filters

Flashheart

Reactions
Why is there no variable ND filters available for drones? Is it a physical limitation issue?

Why is there no variable ND filters available for drones? Is it a physical limitation issue?
There are VND filters for drones. They have somewhat less utility on a drone because you still have to bring in the drone to change the ND strength and still have potential issues with X pattens so it’s not quite as beneficial but they do exist.

Certainly makes sense, and while some models may have them, many others don't.

Even having to come back in to alter the setting, it's nicer / more convenient to just dial one up or down, than remove and replace.

Plus less filters to carry around, change more often, is far better, the M2P for example only needs the 2 filters for 2 to 9 f-stops, that's each ND filter from ND4 to ND500.

I haven't checked if other models have VND filters made for them, perhaps it is only the M2P

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
VND Filters can never produce as good an image as a single ND can and they are prone to color shifts. Once you set the level of ND filter, given the lighting and your desired FPS it's pretty unusual to have to change it in mid flight and with a Mav 3 or any that allows fstop changes, it's virtually unheard of. Even with a fixed focal length, choosing the ND filter based on ISO should leave you wiggle room for exposure. I think that's why you don't see too many for sale. They are out there but not really a hot seller, I'd guess.

I have a VND filter from Polarprofilters.com for my Mavic Air 2, and it works fine, no need to keep changing filters. Not sure if they have or will have for the other DJI drones. I also have the Mini 3 Pro, would be good if they come available for this Drone, still currently waiting on Delivery of ND filters.

Thanks for the replies. I think the X effect becomes an issue when a VND is used close to its maximum range of stops. A common 2 - 400 VND should be good for 2 - 256 before the X effect becomes an issue.
Colour caste could be an issue. For those who have used VNDs on drones have you experienced colour caste issues?
I have a VND on my Sony A6500 made from Schott glass and I have no issues with colour caste.

Thanks for the replies. I think the X effect becomes an issue when a VND is used close to its maximum range of stops. A common 2 - 400 VND should be good for 2 - 256 before the X effect becomes an issue.
Colour caste could be an issue. For those who have used VNDs on drones have you experienced colour caste issues?
I have a VND on my Sony A6500 made from Schott glass and I have no issues with colour caste.
As you might imagine, while decent quality all in all, these ND Filters we find available for our drones are not, to my knowledge, on par with the best larger glass filters you might find on a dslr. I have zip to backup that statement - that's just my assumption based on ignorance. (but it's still mine :) . A color caste from an ND filter is such a common thing. When you are looking through an ND filter your eye compensates and makes it look just fine which is why the world doesn't look yellow when we enter a room with incandescent light after being outside. It always looks normal. It isn't until you view an image or video you have taken that you will learn if there is a color caste, and it's never surprising to find something of a minor color caste from an ND filter so don't be shocked - or concerned. With a little luck there is white area in the image or at least a neutral grey of some shade and you can color balance on that; there will also be an auto setting on most devices and that should normally do the trick, easy peasy. A minor color caste is no big thing. So a super clean optically excellent filter with a slight color shift is a better thing than a mediocre lens that creates flare (or whatever) that has no color caste. You can totally and completely adjust a minor color caste (and any ND filter color caste will be minor. the market will take care of THAT much) in post but a poor quality lens will cause problems that are not so easily solved if at all. Because VND filters require two separate filters they will ALWAYS be less perfect than a single ND Filter, however the best of them, from what I have gleaned watching many vids (because I don't own a VND filter)....from all the comments I've heard, the best of them are good quality so while theoretically inferior, they are decent enough that many people like the top brands out there. People are pleased with their VND filters. Freewell, PGYTech, Polarpro and more, I'm sure. I have Freewell and Polarpro and they are both excellent. If you came this far, here's a link to an interesting review of ND Filters that discusses color caste.

Reactions: Flashheart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre