DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vertical photos?

Portrait requires very little cropping on Instagram and is by far the ideal setting for taking pics for IG. Do you work for DJI or are you just a hardcore fanboy? I dont get why youre so defensive.

It's a huge oversight. And yes after all is said and done, it's comes close to paying $2000 for the Pro (taxes, extra battery, bag/case, or fly more package)

He's right, you are being ridiculous and are stretching things just a bit too far. I have mine M2, a hard shell case, extra battery, not even close to 2K. More like 1600.

5 pages in and you're still here. I went to check, DJI elves didn't sneak in and add a portrait mode while I was away.

And you don't need portrait mode to do panoramas, climb off it. Because the camera can tilt up and down you can literally just pan et voila new row, higher final resolution. Literally, every other camera-equipped drone besides the Mavic 1 and the Spark has been used to stitch panos. You don't need portrait mode to do panos; You may want to do 2+ rows, but you don't have to shoot as many columns because you've just rotated the frame. Its really this simple:

Shoot one row across, tilt it up or down, then shoot back across again, repeat if necessary.

And if you're not going to use in the built-in mode, and want to do this manually, then what are you doing still complaining about having to work? Great, it doesn't have the feature you want, you don't want this drone because of it. We heard you, we're still keeping our drones. In the great words of Craig Jones, bye, Felicia.

I had no idea until I took first flight.. Def bummed to find out this feature isn't available anymore, But let's be clear, the positive's on the M2 far far far exceed it's shortcomings. There was also zero chance I wasn't going to buy this beast, regardless of what was or wasn't in it.

some from the other night

DJI_0054.jpgDJI_0081.jpgDJI_0085.jpg

Huge fail.

Instagram is vertical, so they just tossed out a huge chunk of their potential buyers.

Instagram photos are almost perfectly square so it makes very little difference what the source image is - you're cropping it anyway.

Reactions: Meta4
I dont understand why people are arguing about instagram and "why cant you just crop it?"

I for one, use instagram as it is the main platform for me for posting my photography, and I always use the 4x5 portrait as it is the best format for instagram.

Now I saw a youtube video where someone was able to go into the settings and toggle portrait. (vertical capture)
but i dont see this setting for me? app and firmware is updated

Easiest way, I assume you have a MPP, is to change the settings of the 4 way button. Black rubber on top

The 5D button.

Great for panos also. Shooting vertical then stitching into a horizontal image.

Paul C

Sorry no echo. Post froze. Not sure why.

Paul C

Reactions: SpinItUp
Now I saw a youtube video where someone was able to go into the settings and toggle portrait. (vertical capture)
Yeah, that video is for the Mavic Pro. This thread is about the Mavic 2 Pro. Different drones, different cameras.

The maximum resolution of Instagram photos is 1,080 x 1,080. The resolution of still photos from the Mavic 2 Pro camera is 5,472 x 3,648. Crop the horizontal photo to square or vertical and you still have a photo that's higher than Instagram's resolution, so you're not going to lose any quality.

I dont understand why people are arguing about instagram and "why cant you just crop it?"

I for one, use instagram as it is the main platform for me for posting my photography, and I always use the 4x5 portrait as it is the best format for instagram.

I have a feeling that video ONLY pertains to the older Mavic Pro and not the TWO models.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost