DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vertical photos?

As the post jsut above yours says it allows for decent horizontal panos to be done with only one row instead of 2. That's probably the main use.

We've once had a use for it in video mode for a customer who was producing content for a portrait advertising screen and wanted vertical 4K footage but that's not your everyday thing.

Digital-advertising-screen-Digital-advertising.jpg

Reactions: borislip
As the post jsut above yours says it allows for decent horizontal panos to be done with only one row instead of 2. That's probably the main use.

We've once had a use for it in video mode for a customer who was producing content for a portrait advertising screen and wanted vertical 4K footage but that's not your everyday thing.

Digital-advertising-screen-Digital-advertising.jpg

Fair enough. I'd rather have a much bigger 1" sensor (which also happened to be higher resolution as well), variable aperture, and better optics than the vertical orientation feature, that i can't remember ever using myself except for engaging it and saying "cool, it works". The only thing that stops me from upgrading my mp1 to mp2 is the price point, along with the fact i am only using it for hobby purposes, and i already own an mp1.

i am very suprisied to here thers no more portait mode, i use it alot for panorama shots, its not a deal breaker but it is very disapointing its gone, 1 step forward with better camera now a step back with no portait mode,,,,,

It's not a deal breaker for sure but will increase my workload.
Its not JUST panoramas although thats my main use.

Verticals are great for shots where you're trying to establish a scale or depth. A road or river inside a narrow canyon etc. Anything that needs to convey a sense of scale in the vertical rather than horizontal plane is often better served by portrait mode.
And yes you can crop but then you lose resolution and detail.

I've got a general dislike for all the automatic modes DJI offer. Panorama doesnt work well and is completely uncustomisable. AEB is a fixed (too small) range and can't be customised. HDR can't be customised etc.
It basically means i need to do everything manually.

I don't think DJI designed the 1" sensor to appeal to people posting images on Instagram.

So, let's just give a big middle finger to the biggest photo sharing user base in the world?

Whether you like IG or not, it's a huge platform to ignore with the Mavic 2.

I'd be really curious to hear about how a vertical photo requires less cropping for instagram than a horizontal one, given both are the exact same aspect ratio. I don't work for DJI, nor am I a fanboi, I just recognize stupid illogical complaints.
4x5 vertical crop is becoming the most popular aspect ratio nowadays among instagrammers as it fills up the smartphone screen, giving higher engagement than the classic square format.
MAX+INSTAGRAM+CROP+VS+MINIMUM+4%3A5

Exactly.

A 1" sensor expensive camera isnt really to appeal to the low level instagram user though. They'd be better off with a spark.

Or if they lack the ability to crop it during upload which takes 2 seconds they probably shouldnt own a drone and just go back to taking pictures of their food or feet.

Reactions: mreloc
A 1" sensor expensive camera isnt really to appeal to the low level instagram user though. They'd be better off with a spark.

Or if they lack the ability to crop it during upload which takes 2 seconds they probably shouldnt own a drone and just go back to taking pictures of their food or feet.

Ahhh nothing better than a drone forum snob.

DJI themselves are advertising hard on Instagram, giving Mavic2 away for free to users with lots of followers. Clearly they want to appeal to them, they just had a huge design oversight. I wonder if it was something like this that pushed back their reveal by a month and they just got to a point where they said "F*** it, people will buy this anyway"

For the record... Instagram had 800 million users as of Sept 2017. It's probably close to a billion now. You're a fool if you think everyone is a low level user just posting pictures of food.

Last edited:
Number of lost sales due to instagram users == 0

And as others have said, different aspects are now supported on there (presumably for different shape feet or food).

The MP2 main selling point is the camera, its more prosumer aimed.

The go into the reason for not having a rotating gimbal. They are very good, sound reasons and the upside of it is a far far better camera.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
So, let's just give a big middle finger to the biggest photo sharing user base in the world?
The reason it became that is there there is no expectation of quality on it, and a picture shot with a potato with a filter on it is already good enough for instagram.

No point at all to get a 20MP camera and even less to worry about cropping a few of them.

The reason it became that is there there is no expectation of quality on it, and a picture shot with a potato with a filter on it is already good enough for instagram.

No point at all to get a 20MP camera and even less to worry about cropping a few of them.

Did it ever occur to you that some people shoot for both Landscape and Portrait?

What do you do with your content?

The massive amount of compression instagram use on images nullifies the point of any sort of high resolution starting image.

Did it ever occur to you that some people shoot for both Landscape and Portrait?
It's still irrelevant to instagram.

If I need to shoot something for a 2m high portrait poster I'll take my 42MP camera and make sure I shoot in portrait to have as much data I can for the best quality output. If I need to make a passport photo I will take my 16MP camera, shoot in landscape so I don't have to bother with camera orientation and then crop since it will still be more than good enough for the purpose. Instagram is the latter. I can post good enough instagram photos using my 2004 4MP camera.

Last edited:
Taking pictures in Portrait mode with the classic Mavic Pro was one big selling point for that drone for me. I use professional stitching software which cannot be compared to anything (in terms of quality) what DJI is offering in their built-in modes. It will be a huge loss, at least for me, if I will decide to switch to M2P.

CGO4 does auto-stitch the photos, however it still keeps the individual photos so you can stich them in your own program.

It's not a deal breaker for sure but will increase my workload.
Its not JUST panoramas although thats my main use.

Verticals are great for shots where you're trying to establish a scale or depth. A road or river inside a narrow canyon etc. Anything that needs to convey a sense of scale in the vertical rather than horizontal plane is often better served by portrait mode.
And yes you can crop but then you lose resolution and detail.

I've got a general dislike for all the automatic modes DJI offer. Panorama doesnt work well and is completely uncustomisable. AEB is a fixed (too small) range and can't be customised. HDR can't be customised etc.
It basically means i need to do everything manually.

i agree, dji go is useless for most auto modes, i use litchi exclusively for panos and aeb, it offers much more flexibility,

Gotta love this world where so many are convinced there should be no such thing as a "tradeoffs". The truth is, this is still a very cheap piece of equipment for what it does and at the quality it can deliver. Get over the fact that it won't deliver 100% of what you think you deserve from it and buy something else then.

Gotta love this world where so many are convinced there should be no such thing as a "tradeoffs". The truth is, this is still a very cheap piece of equipment for what it does and at the quality it can deliver. Get over the fact that it won't deliver 100% of what you think you deserve from it and buy something else then.
trdeoffs are individual based,,,,,, i dont personally shoot video so if they decided to not shoot 4k and give a sony sensor i would be all over it but many many others would be up in arms over the change....i agree we will never have it all and i hope the loss of this feature wont harm sales and i hope they are tranparent with the loss of that feature, like i mentioned its not quite a deal breaker but i was totally unaware and totally assumed the new mav would add features not lose some. theres ways around it for sure but it may be a shock to some that find that feature very useful, if the camera itself is built better and more solid i suppose thats a good enough trade off still a surprise thats all.

I shoot a lot of portrait video as well, IGtv is a main distribution point for this content but even YouTube is getting better at displaying it. I love the way portrait video fills your entire phone screen when viewing.

It's a bummer that I won't be able to shoot vertical video native from this bird, but it does simplify my workflow so instead of having to do two passes for portrait and landscape I'll just do one and need to crop the footage.

Excited to get in the air and start finding creative solutions for this one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser