DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very disappointed with my new Nvidia Shield

CyberNate

Reactions
I just received my Nvidia K1 Shield yesterday and upgraded the firmware to Nougat. I went out today for a test flight and it was good experience for the first 15 minutes. After the 15 minute mark I started getting no RC signal according to the DJI Go 4 app, yet I had all the bars for the HD video link, but video feed was frozen. Checking my controller, I see that there is good signal for the RC control and I see that the craft is responding. I couldn't get control signal to come back in the app.. I tried disconnecting cord and reconnecting and it started to work intermittently. Finally I just hit the return to home. Even when the craft as right in front of me, no working connection with the app.

In addition to the false RC connection issues, the compass did not work at all for the entire flight. How are you supposed to line yourself up with the craft if the compass doesn't work? These antennas are directional and it's important to have a proper alignment with the craft. In addition to that, the Sheild does not display both tachometer and map. It's only 1 or the other where the Ipad version of Go 4 has both displayed. I've never had issues like this with my Ipad Mini 4. It ALWAYS works. I'm so disappointed as I'm an android guy. I really wanted the Shield to work as I want the HDMI out as well as the ability to view my flights by popping in the SD card.

Next, the screen on the Shield K1 is no where near the quality of the Ipad. The contrast and colors are rather dull. I guess I could live with it if the device worked properly.

It is really a shame how poorly DJI is supporting Android devices. I have so many Android tablets including the Samsung Tab S2 9.7, Tab S2 8.0, Tab Pro 12.2, and many android phones. None of them are working perfectly like the Ipad Mini 4. The Samsung Tab S2 works well once you get it connected which requires a restart of the tablet after craft and controller are turned on. At that point I have no issues with the S2 other than the wrong speed reported in MPH which is actually feet/sec.

To summarize, for me the Ipad Mini 4 is the only way to go. I don't want any crashes caused because I'm forced to use Return to Home so frequently. I need the device to work consistently.

I was unimpressed with outdoor brightness on the Shield. Of course, with goggles that is a moot point.

I don't think I've ever used the tablet's compass. I agree Android devices, especially tablets, usually have the worst compasses; try doing the swish calibration before starting up your flight. I look at the "aircraft is in that direction" line on the map and I orient myself in that direction (visual landmarks, mountain peaks). The antennae are not that directional, unless you put on those bat-ear extenders.

Nougat's Launcher3 crashes often if you let the screen lock. Other than that, haven't had any software problems with the update.

I have to agree with the op. I have spent the last 2 days since the Nougat update trying to get any dji or litchi app to not crash after about 8 to 10 minutes of flight. I have tried reloading the apps, airplane mode, do not disturb mode, have Go4 automatically start on usb, downgrade to Go4 .01, reset tablet to factory and then load just Go4 .02. Everything resulted in at least one app crash during flight, sometimes two. It is really just annoying because I can restart Go4 from the running apps tab (but not litchi) and it reconnects and I am flying again in about 10 seconds.But before the Nougat update, this thing was solid as a rock. I was originally blaming the Go4 update, but upon further testing, I believe it is the Nougat update.

Reactions: Sneakymofo
I was unimpressed with outdoor brightness on the Shield. Of course, with goggles that is a moot point.

I don't think I've ever used the tablet's compass. I agree Android devices, especially tablets, usually have the worst compasses; try doing the swish calibration before starting up your flight. I look at the "aircraft is in that direction" line on the map and I orient myself in that direction (visual landmarks, mountain peaks). The antennae are not that directional, unless you put on those bat-ear extenders.

Nougat's Launcher3 crashes often if you let the screen lock. Other than that, haven't had any software problems with the update.
So how do you not let the screen lock?

I've been sing a cheap Bush 7" HDMI out tablet up to a couple of weeks ago and Go4 never crashed on it once. I then bought a Shield K1 and while I really like it, on Sunday just gone Go4 crashed on me after about 10 minutes of flight, just as I was landing, this was running 7.0 also.

...But before the Nougat update, this thing was solid as a rock. I was originally blaming the Go4 update, but upon further testing, I believe it is the Nougat update.

In that case I will simply roll the OS back to Marshmallow (Android 6.0). I need this to work for my hdmi goggles which should arrive soon.

Sorry to hear you had to go through this.. When I first got my Phantom 3 I looked for a good reasonably priced tablet. After reading lots of forums including the DJI sponsored forum, seemed like an Ipad was the way to go. I was hoping I didn't have to go the more expensive Ipad route. But seemed the Ipads were the least problematic.

I've used a few different Ipads, that are supported, and only had minor issues with the slower processors. I use a Mini 4 full-time now and its been perfect for all my DJI drones...

IMO, its worth the peace of mind to go with the Ipad....

I just received my Nvidia K1 Shield yesterday and upgraded the firmware to Nougat. I went out today for a test flight and it was good experience for the first 15 minutes. After the 15 minute mark I started getting no RC signal according to the DJI Go 4 app, yet I had all the bars for the HD video link, but video feed was frozen. Checking my controller, I see that there is good signal for the RC control and I see that the craft is responding. I couldn't get control signal to come back in the app.. I tried disconnecting cord and reconnecting and it started to work intermittently. Finally I just hit the return to home. Even when the craft as right in front of me, no working connection with the app.

In addition to the false RC connection issues, the compass did not work at all for the entire flight. How are you supposed to line yourself up with the craft if the compass doesn't work? These antennas are directional and it's important to have a proper alignment with the craft. In addition to that, the Sheild does not display both tachometer and map. It's only 1 or the other where the Ipad version of Go 4 has both displayed. I've never had issues like this with my Ipad Mini 4. It ALWAYS works. I'm so disappointed as I'm an android guy. I really wanted the Shield to work as I want the HDMI out as well as the ability to view my flights by popping in the SD card.

Next, the screen on the Shield K1 is no where near the quality of the Ipad. The contrast and colors are rather dull. I guess I could live with it if the device worked properly.

It is really a shame how poorly DJI is supporting Android devices. I have so many Android tablets including the Samsung Tab S2 9.7, Tab S2 8.0, Tab Pro 12.2, and many android phones. None of them are working perfectly like the Ipad Mini 4. The Samsung Tab S2 works well once you get it connected which requires a restart of the tablet after craft and controller are turned on. At that point I have no issues with the S2 other than the wrong speed reported in MPH which is actually feet/sec.

To summarize, for me the Ipad Mini 4 is the only way to go. I don't want any crashes caused because I'm forced to use Return to Home so frequently. I need the device to work consistently.

Hmmm.. for me I haven't had any issues... knock on wood.. I'll take it out again tomorrow to see if there's any issue..

With other Android devices, locking the screen rotation in portrait mode has helped if the DJI 4 app is crashing.

One other thing to check on is to try the USB port at the bottom of the RC (make sure to disconnect the side USB cable).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As a die hard android lover / apple hater, even I bought an ipad air 2 and a mini 4 exclusively for DJI use.
Yea, I just returned the nvidia k1 to Amazon (had it for 2 weeks before the update, Amazon is great for returns) and ordered an ipad mini 4. Never had or wanted an apple device, but willing to accept defeat in this case because, up until the update, I loved to just fly (over 500 miles since 1/1) and for the last 3 days all I have done is fly to see if, after hours of troubleshooting, it is going to crash again. Looking forward to getting back to flying for the love of it.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
**** I just did the update today but haven't flown since. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I'm in the same boat as you guys.

To the people that are experiencing app crashes...
Did you install the app, then go fly?
Or did you install the app, reboot your device - then go fly?
The reason I ask is that I too had frequent app crashes, but I just installed - and went flying. After doing a device reboot, I have not had one single app crash
(Google Pixel XL 128Gb - latest firmware with Feb sec patch)

To the people that are experiencing app crashes...
Did you install the app, then go fly?
Or did you install the app, reboot your device - then go fly?
The reason I ask is that I too had frequent app crashes, but I just installed - and went flying. After doing a device reboot, I have not had one single app crash
(Google Pixel XL 128Gb - latest firmware with Feb sec patch)

Rebooted immediately before flying. It's not that. I've heard the pixel works ok. Unfortunately my nexus 6p and shield do not.

Reactions: Stolz
As a die hard android lover / apple hater, even I bought an ipad air 2 and a mini 4 exclusively for DJI use.

Ahahahah I did the exact same thing and now have a iPad air 2 and a iPhone 7 plus but I still hate Apple dammit... kind of... maybe... yes I hate them when I'm not flying a DJI product.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: frankiez
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian