DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very interesting arrest of drone pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to keep your mouth shut if you aren't a criminal.
You are never going to be pulled over or confronted for NO REASON. You may not know the reason till you cooperate. Being a D**K head to the cop will give him more reason to think you are hiding something.

"Keep your mouth shut" is just about as bad of advice as suggesting throwing punches at the cop.
"keep your mouth shut" is what attorneys tell stupid GUILTY clients.

Not the way it works my friend. If an officer pulls me over he better have a reason. He is either going to tell me what that reason is or I'll be the one calling 911 to get the illegal stop on permanent record. They require grounds to pull me over or it is them that are GUILTY of breaking the law. They require suspicion or evidence of a crime to request ID or it is them who are GUILTY of breaking the law. If I'm not guilty of a crime I will not allow myself to be treated as a convicted criminal without rights. It's not that I do not respect law enforcement. But that I don't surrender my own self respect the moment a police officer is around. He has a job to do and I have my rights to protect. My cooperation ends where their lawful authority ends. If a crooked officer arrests me for not complying with unlawful orders it's awesome. I won't fight. I will comply under duress. Them making an unlawful order is a complaint that I can make and they can ignore. Them arresting me for not voluntarily complying with an unlawful order is now actionable. Big thing is to remain silent. let them dig their own hole. Arguing and threatening just makes it worse. By the way. That's exactly what the police do with folks who can shut up. They just stand there write it all down and watch them dig their own hole. Police have to love those moments. Like living a dumbest criminals episode. Lol...

Reactions: hoggdoc
Not the way it works my friend. If an officer pulls me over he better have a reason. He is either going to tell me what that reason is or I'll be the one calling 911 to get the illegal stop on permanent record. They require grounds to pull me over or it is them that are GUILTY of breaking the law. They require suspicion or evidence of a crime to request ID or it is them who are GUILTY of breaking the law. If I'm not guilty of a crime I will not allow myself to be treated as a convicted criminal without rights. It's not that I do not respect law enforcement. But that I don't surrender my own self respect the moment a police officer is around. He has a job to do and I have my rights to protect. My cooperation ends where their lawful authority ends. If a crooked officer arrests me for not complying with unlawful orders it's awesome. I won't fight. I will comply under duress. Them making an unlawful order is a complaint that I can make and they can ignore. Them arresting me for not voluntarily complying with an unlawful order is now actionable. Big thing is to remain silent. let them dig their own hole. Arguing and threatening just makes it worse. By the way. That's exactly what the police do with folks who can shut up. They just stand there write it all down and watch them dig their own hole. Police have to love those moments. Like living a dumbest criminals episode. Lol...
Metal, you must not have read carefully. A police officer would NEVER stop you without a good reason and if you weren’t guilty of committing a crime. Don’t you know that?

Reactions: SXViper03
Did you see the recently released body cam video of the police officers who interviewed the youtube shooter hours before her rampage? It crystallizes some of these issues being discussed. The police find woman reported as missing by her own father. She has no rational explanation of what she is doing in the middle of the night in that area. Should the police have known something was wrong and questioned her further? Perhaps detained her and called her father? Personally, I thought they tried to question as much as they could right up to the line but her answers were just rational enough they could do no more and had to walk away. Hours later she shot three people and then herself. Did the police do the right thing? Should they have done more? What if she had just flipped them off and refused to open door or roll down window?

Metal, you must not have read carefully. A police officer would NEVER stop you without a good reason and if weren’t guilty of committing a crime. Don’t you know that?

Well, You may be a criminal they have delt with many times before and they recognize you and pull you over just to say hello and see how you are doing. Then they see the weapon, or smell the drugs, and it goes south from there.
Police dont have time to pick on innocent's If you know anyone that claims to be pulled over for NO reason at all, and it happened to them more than once? THEY are a criminal. Cops only want to work when they HAVE to. Just like anyone else at their day job.

Metal, you must not have read carefully. A police officer would NEVER stop you without a good reason and if you weren’t guilty of committing a crime. Don’t you know that?

I used to have blind faith also. I always excused any bad behavior or treatment as "they have a tough job" "Probably dealt with a jerk before me" That was until a police officer stopped me and threatened to issue a full government safety inspection on my vehicle unless i shut up and took a seat belt ticket. He did this to me in front of my 12 year old son with no qualms. His partner never said a word. Then about two years later I was stopped by a different officer for not wearing my seat belt when I was and had my wife and 4 kids in the van. He ticketed me anyway. I drove about 62 miles round trip and missed a day of work to plead innocent. A month later I missed a second day of work and drove the 62 mile round trip again for the actual hearing. But when I arrived the court the clerk informed me they dropped the charge. She said the officer called and left a message. My cell phone and my home phone my work had no record of any call or message. Since then I ONLY give them the respect they give me. I only voluntarily follow lawful orders. They can do what they want. But if they break the law with me it will be them in the defendants seat. It's not just a broken law. They have breached my trust. It's not just their fault it's mine also. Absolute power corrupts and for far to many years I to afforded them absolute power and blind trust. I'm just one person. How many other people have these bad cops done this to? I let them get away with it to go on and victimize others. No longer. It's my civic duty. Same laws that apply to me apply to them.

Being this has turned into a LE bashing by some I am moving it to OT for the moment .
Any issues with it please send me a message Do Not Post It .
Thanks.
dc

Being this has turned into a LE bashing by some I am moving it to OT for the moment .
Any issues with it please send me a message Do Not Post It .
Thanks.
dc
I dont get why the thread is so popular?? Its been done to death in the past a couple of times I reckon???

Yes it has been beat to death but anytime LE is brought into any of our forums it ends
up going south of anything really drone related .I just moved it before the reports start
coming in on off topic post so I don't have to go through all of it cleaning .
Like I said earlier in this what was posted was old and has already been posted .

Reactions: Myetkt and Simmo
We should have a AI judge or a actual judge on call. When there is not a threat to the public or private property the police have no more rights than a bum on the street. In this case it was a flock of bums and they act as a mob. In this case the police were trying to be judge and jury. Police were no longer good guys they are guys with guns and should have a judge on call and have the judge decide what is legal and right and wrong.

Probably Case for the stop! A complaint that officers have to investigate! Guys are totally ******** with no respect to authorities but want authorities to have respect for them wow! Also there is a Judge on call it's called a Court Date! I believe the officers will be covered under the 4th Amendment!

Last edited:
Not sure what the rules are in the States but in the UK you are not obliged to give your details unless they are going to charge you for an offence.
Every state is different some are a stop an ID state others you only need to show ID if being arrested

Understood. Obliged or not, why would you want to refuse to identify yourself to an officer of the law unless you just wanted to make them angry, make their jobs more difficult, or if you really had something to hide? Or just felt like being an ***?

(As if they already had a fun, safe, job, that pays well.)

If you believe that simply telling someone (of authority) your name is somehow violating your rights or your privacy, I think you have issues, IMO.

Some policemen might abuse their power, sure, but I'm not going to change that by being more difficult.

Can't watch the video right now at work, but a right not exercised is a right lost. I agree, there is some discretion with the decision not to disclose, but if they don't have cause to know who you are, the idea not to disclose should cross your mind.

I stumbled upon this. Cops admit they don't know if flying over private property is a crime or not, but they proceed with the arrest of pilots who refuse to identify themselves. Lawsuit is pending, interesting how it will turn out.

I agree with Darren.......The laws are the same in OZ. Unless you are driving or the police think you have committed a crime they t have no right to ask you for identification. Look what happened at Starbucks 2 days ago with 2 (black) guys getting arrested for not buying something whilst waiting for a friend. Yes by law they should buy something....but give me a ferkin break....really...arrest them. I gotta say the US is really heading down the wrong path in respect to 'treatment of your fellow human being'. Starbucks are learning the monetary way.....that you don't treat people like animals. At least the cops didn't shoot them!! Luv Shark.......ive seen a few of their videos. They know the law better than the police officers most of the time......Keep the bas...rds honest i say!!

Last edited:
You live in LA LA land mate. Police, like all of us are human not robots. They do pull people over who are not guilty, sometimes to even compliment their driving, sometimes because you just look suspicious, saying otherwise is Just pure nonesense.

I'll try to keep this drone related but must say, I know police officers, and I know they deal with scum all day, people insulting them, unrealistically uncooperative, which has become the norm, to resist, resist, argue and fight. They never know if they may be attacked, shot at, killed. When they get a complaint about a drone they are probably not too informed about the law as it is still a rare thing. They are responding typically to someone's complaint and must appear to deal with it so they can move on to other more urgent calls. Simply being nice and trying to comply without confusing arguments and escalating tempers is the best course of action. So many are antagonistic toward officers it is a wonder people go in to the profession. As fewer apply due to the current climate we will get a lower class of officers, more crime, more conflicts, more chaos. The very people that complain so much then want one to appear when they need protection. It is completely nuts. Officers already want to avoid many of these conflicts so in those areas where they are more often to occur they tend to not go in, thus leaving that area more prone to crime. It is easy to avoid appearing to be spying when flying a drone. Fly high. Don't fly low over people and homes. Common sense. Some people will really fly off the handle and cry "spying." Just avoid the scenario. It is possible without crying "my rights."

I stumbled upon this. Cops admit they don't know if flying over private property is a crime or not, but they proceed with the arrest of pilots who refuse to identify themselves. Lawsuit is pending, interesting how it will turn out.

********!

I agree with Darren.......The laws are the same in OZ. Unless you are driving or the police think you have committed a crime they t have no right to ask you for identification. Look what happened at Starbucks 2 days ago with 2 (black) guys getting arrested for not buying something whilst waiting for a friend. Yes by law they should buy something....but give me a ferkin break....really...arrest them. I gotta say the US is really heading down the wrong path in respect to 'treatment of your fellow human being'. Starbucks are learning the monetary way.....that you don't treat people like animals. At least the cops didn't shoot them!!
The Laws in OZ may be similar but not the same as U.S. We don't have the Amendments for starters, plus we just hand over our ID as we feel, what do we have to hide and we can't really quote Amendments. Police can easily escalate things to justify an arrest, so here in Australia, it's just easier to hand over ID.
Majority of the time no record or details are recorded or held unless you are a suspect. Happened many times.
From a Lawyer in Australia, alarm bells go off if they are investigating a crime in the area, looking for a suspect,and you won't even I'd yourself, and if an officer orders you to hand over ID, then you have to do it. Argue all you like, it's how it is.

People thinking the, police have the right to pull you over and demand identification without cause are mistaken. You do not need to identify yourself unless you are being charged with something. Cops somehow think they can act without impunity. Know your rights. And the people thinking that this guy was being rude to the cop, you are dead wrong.

Btw here is a follow up video

Reactions: Cymruflyer
The Laws in OZ may be similar but not the same as U.S. We don't have the Amendments for starters, plus we just hand over our ID as we feel, what do we have to hide and we can't really quote Amendments. Police can easily escalate things to justify an arrest, so here in Australia, it's just easier to hand over ID.
Majority of the time no record or details are recorded or held unless you are a suspect. Happened many times.
From a Lawyer in Australia, alarm bells go off if they are investigating a crime in the area, looking for a suspect,and you won't even I'd yourself, and if an officer orders you to hand over ID, then you have to do it. Argue all you like, it's how it is.
Oh....i maybe wrong....I didnt think you had to show ID to police without a reason, if you are driving yes. Laws may have changed since i studied Legal Studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure