DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video distortion, faulty camera/gimbal?

Mavrack

Reactions
Hello fellow Mavic pilots,

After much anticipation I finally received my Mavic Pro earlier this week. I love flying it. It is brand new with no crashes, but I have been having problems since the first flight. This is my first drone and I also have very little experience or knowledge of video editing.

I believe that the problem is the “jello effect” or some type of distortion. After searching for solutions to my problem I have found that there are several other people with this issue. I have tried every method of troubleshooting I can think of and all possible suggested fixes from forums. The problem occurs even when the Mavic’s engines are off, props not spinning, so I don’t think this has to do with vibration. I suspect something is wrong with the gimbal or camera.

So far I have tried:

• Updating and downgrading firmware: v01.03.0400, v01.03.0500 and the latest V01.03.0600
  • Different video settings (4k, 1080p, different frame rates, etc), different photo settings, however I don’t think this is the problem because the distortion always occurs – even when not taking videos or photos
  • Changing props
  • Changing gimbal angles
  • Calibrating compass, IMU, gimbal. Also calibrated through DJI Assistant
  • Camera reset
  • Reset drone to factory settings
  • Checked gimbal mounts – all of the bands are in place and the bracket is in the correct position
  • Varying amounts of light – cloudy, mid day sun and evening
  • Flying in different temperatures (albeit somewhat cold, ranging from 2°C - 15°C, but it should be fine above 0°C?). It does seem worse when it is colder. I have let the Mavic “cool down” as suggested in some forums but this makes no difference.
  • I have heard that flying with the clear dome over the camera may help – but this shouldn’t be necessary and reduces quality
  • I have also heard about ND filters, I sort of understand the reasoning why they would help, but I don’t have any and I feel like this is going to need more than a filter to fix the problem…
Is there anything else I can do? I purchased through Amazon, and I will likely be returning it. I would consider it to be defective. I am going on a trip to Yukon/Alaska in about 3-4 weeks and would really like to take some aerial shots up there…

Additionally, I have purchased DJI Refresh – if I return the Mavic I have now, is it possible to transfer Refresh to a completely new Mavic with a new serial number?

I have uploaded a sample video to YouTube with samples of video in different conditions here:

TLDR: I have very bad distortion/jello effect from the Mavic camera and I have tried everything, still cannot fix it. Help!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help you can offer!

This is a well reported problem and you can see many examples of this I'm afraid. I too have a brand new Mavic and it produced this poor jello effect on flight 1 through to 6. It's now back with DJI after just 3 days.

If you've done all the obvious including checking the seating of the gimbal (it should be sat behind the limiting tap behind the camera) I suggest you upload your footage to a Dropbox and raise it immediately with DJI, they have a 7 day return and replacement policy so you need to act quickly. Also it would be worth talking with Amazon as the retailer.

Flying with the dome does alleviate some of the problem but obviously downgrades the footage...The Mavic can be flown with either option but I think the advice to fly with the dome is a reaction to this type of problem more than best practice.

keep us updated, you won't be the last I'm afraid.

Reactions: Mavrack
Double check again and make sure that the floating base of gimbal plate is under the back tab by the intake fan and NOT sitting on top of it as suggested in some online videos. When drone is upside down and you look down into the back of the gimbal at the base plate, the little tab should be over top of the base plate. (you should be able to see all of the tab).
If the base plate is sitting on top of the small tab then this would cause the exact video effects as in your video. If its not that then needs DJI repair.

Yeah that's really bad, your gimbal is just defective, just return it get a new one. I had some jello effect and I put nd filters and that went away but mine was small, your gimbal is just messed up

Reactions: Mavrack
I ended up requesting an exhange through Amazon. I should have a new mavic by Tuesday, which is great! The Amazon return process seems to be very convenient.

As for the gimbal plate, I am quite sure that it is in the right place:

IMG_9811.JPG IMG_9813.JPG

Thanks for the advice everyone

The jello effect will always somewhat be there, however if you get nd filters and right shudder speed and ISO it's perfect

Definitely defective. You we're right to request a replacement. I've flown mine in 30 mph winds in Iceland and only had very minor 'jello' effect. You'll immediately see the difference when your exchange arrives.
BTW I bought ND filters for the lense and they have made a substantial difference to the picture quality, especially in bright conditions.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15