DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing software for PC

What are folks using to edit footage on their Windows PCs? I see Adobe Creative Cloud All Access is on sale for 30$ a month right now which includes Lightroom and Premiere Pro. I've used Lightroom to edit DSLR photos but have not used Premiere Pro, is that what folks are using? I see with Media Encoder you can proxy edit and then apply all your editing toward the final product so that is pretty cool. I also see you get the mobile app versions included as well so maybe I wouldn't need to purchase Lumafusion either to edit on the go?

Adobe Premier Elements for me. Tried a bunch of demos, freebies and paid. For a novice like me it has an "easy" section and an "advanced" section for more sophisticated users. I haven't found anything yet that I've needed that it couldn't do including multiple audio tracks. I even had 3 videos overlayed simultaneously at one point. My laptop didn't like working the night shift on that one though! LOL

Think I paid a one time fee of 100 bucks. It also does photo type stuff as well...

Right at the end of this is where I tried the 3 video overlay. Fun project!

Davinci Resolve is 100% free and is capable of going head to head with the entire Adobe suite in one program.
No.. as much as I don't like the adobe rental system they now have, If you are an expert at editing, Adobe Premier Pro will blow away the free version of Davinci Resolve, there is no comparison. For basic editing you could use either and do the same things, so why pay/rent each month? But if you know what you are doing and need all that it can do, there is no comparison between Adobe Premier Pro and Davinci Resolve free version.

No.. as much as I don't like the adobe rental system they now have, If you are an expert at editing, Adobe Premier Pro will blow away the free version of Davinci Resolve, there is no comparison. For basic editing you could use either and do the same things, so why pay/rent each month? But if you know what you are doing and need all that it can do, there is no comparison between Adobe Premier Pro and Davinci Resolve free version.
I have used both. The expense of Adobe isn't worth it. Can you name something Adobe can do Resolve cannot? Just one.

Lucky for me, and a lifetime of working, allows me to luxuriate in Adobe CC suite, including the latest updates of Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, Premiere, and After Effects. Also included are many other apps which I do not use, or use infrequently like PDF Maker and web design ap. Yesterday I was able to call for live support on a Premiere Project (albeit it a heavily accented man from Bangalore). My Creative Cloud subscription comes with a one year 40% discount of 29 dollar a month. I think it is one of the best perks I give myself. If I could not afford it, I most likely would have to teach myself DaVinciResolve. It is always nicer to drive a Mercedes than a Volkswagen. (I've had both). I don't mean to come across as a plutocrat but in my retirement, I mean to treat myself in every way I can for the few remaining good years.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I have used both. The expense of Adobe isn't worth it. Can you name something Adobe can do Resolve cannot? Just one.
Yes and here are two, Adobe can handle unlimited cameras at a time, whereby Resolve can only handle up to a max. of 16. Adobe Premier comes with a large selection of sound effects, Resolve has none. There are more features that make Adobe Premier Pro far better than Resolve Free, of course, but you can find those out for yourself.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Resolve is bad, nor am I a huge fan of Premier, in fact since Adobe went to the monthly ransom charge, I don't even suggest to people to use their products anymore, as great as they are. I own Premier Pro and Adobe Photoshop, I bought them when you could actually own them outright. Photoshop does all I need, plus I own the whole suite of Topaz Labs and the latest On1 2020 RAW and have no need for all the latest and greatest that Adobe offers in their CC Cloud system.

What I'm saying is that for basic editing, for the most part, there is practically no difference, and the fact that Resolve is free is a huge plus. But some feel, including you, that Resolve can do everything that Adobe Premier Pro can do, and that is simply not a correct statement. Adobe Premier Pro is by far the better more robust and feature rich software, but you can only rent it and I do not like that fact.

So as stated, basic editing for the average user, you can do on both, but for the expert needing all the features, Adobe beats DaVinci every time.

Here is a little more but by no means all the plusses of Adobe Premier:

(But please keep in mind, I am not a fan of Adobe anymore, even though they offer great software, this is in response to what Harold Morgan asked, above.)

Section 1: Key Features Comparison

1. Multicamera Option:Both these software support multi camera modes, where in case of Premiere Pro you can simply bring your clips to timeline and then step ahead into multi camera mode. But in case of Resolve, you can select video clips from bin and then move to multi camera clip formation. The best part is that Premiere Pro can handle unlimited cameras at a time whereas in case of Resolve you can handle up to 16 cameras.
  2. Integration:Premiere Pro can definitely provide you impressive results with its advanced integration tool, but Resolve can deals with most serious video editing tools. When you are working on Premiere Pro, you have the ability to connect actively with Adobe After Effects, Audition, Photoshop and SpeedGrade etc. powerful platforms. But Resolve can only help you to send clips to their composing program known as Fusion. The results after Fusion effects can be again exported back and this feature works perfectly on free versions of both these programs.
  3. Effects:The sad part is that Resolve does not possess any sound effect but it is possible to make use of VST plug-ins with this program. Here you can apply effects directly on entire track without making any specific selection. On the other side, Premiere serves with impressive range of filters as it has brought all outstanding filters from Audition to its own platform. It also allows clip level effects so that some customized videos can be generated.
  4. Titles:Adobe Premiere offers you wide range of animated titles as well as templates that can be cleverly used anywhere between files. You can do much more with its direct integration to Adobe After Effects like changing colors of text in master title etc. Resolve can serve you only with the basic title feature where static titles are available and they can be adjusted using motion paths. In case if you want to do something with animated titles then you need to use Fusion, or switch to Adobe Premiere or any other program.
  5. Output:In terms of Output, Premiere Pro wins the maximum points as it possesses its own Adobe Media Encoder program. Adobe can work perfectly with all popular file formats and its recent update to Digital Cinema Package makes things much easier. Resolve has very poor output options as most of the time you need to encode files to your desired format using other tools. Resolve don’t even provide support to most popular video file format MP4.
Section 2: Unique Features for Each Video Editor:

Highlighted Features of Adobe Premiere Pro:

• It provides effective integration with other popular programs of Adobe.
  • RAW formats can be easily used.
  • Users can easily browse files within current projects.
  • Easy access to advanced effects and filters.
  • Master clip effects are impressive.
Highlighted Features of DaVinci Resolve:

• Comes with brilliant grading feature.
  • Can detect scene changes easily.
  • Resolve Studio provides easy functioning with two graphic cards at a time.
  • Completely free version without any restriction.
Conclusion:

The selection of best video editing tool for your regular needs is actually a complicated decision. You have to consider your requirements as well as budget. As DaVinci Resolve is available for free with lots of professional editing features so it can be considered as one of the most useful tool, if your computer performance is powerful. But in case if you demand wide range of capabilities then you definitely need to pick Premiere Pro for your system.

Last edited:
Here is a little more but by no means all the plusses of Adobe Premier:

Section 1: Key Features Comparison

1. Multicamera Option:Both these software support multi camera modes, where in case of Premiere Pro you can simply bring your clips to timeline and then step ahead into multi camera mode. But in case of Resolve, you can select video clips from bin and then move to multi camera clip formation. The best part is that Premiere Pro can handle unlimited cameras at a time whereas in case of Resolve you can handle up to 16 cameras.
  2. Integration:Premiere Pro can definitely provide you impressive results with its advanced integration tool, but Resolve can deals with most serious video editing tools. When you are working on Premiere Pro, you have the ability to connect actively with Adobe After Effects, Audition, Photoshop and SpeedGrade etc. powerful platforms. But Resolve can only help you to send clips to their composing program known as Fusion. The results after Fusion effects can be again exported back and this feature works perfectly on free versions of both these programs.
  3. Effects:The sad part is that Resolve does not possess any sound effect but it is possible to make use of VST plug-ins with this program. Here you can apply effects directly on entire track without making any specific selection. On the other side, Premiere serves with impressive range of filters as it has brought all outstanding filters from Audition to its own platform. It also allows clip level effects so that some customized videos can be generated.
  4. Titles:Adobe Premiere offers you wide range of animated titles as well as templates that can be cleverly used anywhere between files. You can do much more with its direct integration to Adobe After Effects like changing colors of text in master title etc. Resolve can serve you only with the basic title feature where static titles are available and they can be adjusted using motion paths. In case if you want to do something with animated titles then you need to use Fusion, or switch to Adobe Premiere or any other program.
  5. Output:In terms of Output, Premiere Pro wins the maximum points as it possesses its own Adobe Media Encoder program. Adobe can work perfectly with all popular file formats and its recent update to Digital Cinema Package makes things much easier. Resolve has very poor output options as most of the time you need to encode files to your desired format using other tools. Resolve don’t even provide support to most popular video file format MP4.
Section 2: Unique Features for Each Video Editor:

Highlighted Features of Adobe Premiere Pro:

• It provides effective integration with other popular programs of Adobe.
  • RAW formats can be easily used.
  • Users can easily browse files within current projects.
  • Easy access to advanced effects and filters.
  • Master clip effects are impressive.
Highlighted Features of DaVinci Resolve:

• Comes with brilliant grading feature.
  • Can detect scene changes easily.
  • Resolve Studio provides easy functioning with two graphic cards at a time.
  • Completely free version without any restriction.
Conclusion:

The selection of best video editing tool for your regular needs is actually a complicated decision. You have to consider your requirements as well as budget. As DaVinci Resolve is available for free with lots of professional editing features so it can be considered as one of the most useful tool, if your computer performance is powerful. But in case if you demand wide range of capabilities then you definitely need to pick Premiere Pro for your system.
You forgot one more point- I already know how to use Premiere Pro. I have no clue how to use DaVinci.

The one that is best is the one that the user is comfortable using. You could have the most sophisticated editor with all of the add-ons but if it is "beyond your skill level" why? I feel start with a basic program that does the job and as your editing skills improve you can upgrade your editing software.

Primarily I do YouTube videos and no commercial or professional videos. I have found VSDC so far has met all of my needs and skill level. I bought the licensed version for $19/yr
Here is what it can do

Free video software that allows you to edit video files and create videos of all types. It supports the most popular video/audio formats and codecs, including DVD, HD and GoPro videos. Preconfigured profiles make the creation of videos for various multimedia and mobile devices a snap.

The video editor offers a number of versatile features both for home and business use: text and audio overlay, an array of charts and diagrams as well as a slideshow maker.

Non-linear editing system. It means that video files and images do not necessarily have to follow a specific sequence – they can be in various places at any point of time. Besides, all objects can change their properties, shape and position in time.

Hardware acceleration, multi-color Chroma Key, adjustable parameters settings and enhanced resolution make VSDC a real time and effort saving tool allowing for creating large size HD videos in a few minutes instead of hours.

When this was just starting I remember seeing some internal papers that were posted from Adobe. They we discussing how it might affect sales and customers. They understood that a lot of users were not going to be happy. The numbers were showing that about 80% of the customers were small business or individuals but they only represented about 20% of their profits. The 80% of their profits came from the other 20% that made up the rest and all that 20% were made up of large corporations who could not afford to be without Adobe.

Adobe felt that they could lose a lot of individuals and small businesses who would not be happy with a monthly ransom to pay, yet still make more money due the 20% paying them 80% of the income. They were guessing that this 20% were too big and embedded to jump ship, so they would pay what ever they were asking because they could afford it and had no other option, being such large corporations, so they were prepared to take that risk. So, it was just a money making move.

There was talk about the change being due to people always hacking the bought software and them losing money due to lost sales. When they launched the Cloud, I believe it was something like 26 minutes later that it was hacked.

Losing 80% of your customers was a huge mistake for Adobe. Yes you seriously $&$$& them off but Adobe didn’t account for the number of those people who directly influence their own employers.

Premiere Pro is by no means a professional video editing platform but it is seeing inroads to the broadcast market, which is still dominated by Avid’s MediaComposer.

CFO’s like to know the costs upfront, which works in favour of Adobe but Avid then hit back following the same subscription model.

Avid had a free version for many years, which attracted uni students who then found an easy route into the broadcast market knowing how to use MediaComposer.

Then there was Apple and the excellent FinalCut Pro (the original one). Very popular in the broadcast and professional world but then realised the opposite of Adobe... they didn’t want the expense and demands of supporting the broadcast industry so they came out with the appalling FinalCut X.

There are many more editing platforms out there chasing customers - the many that Adobe decided they didn’t need.

Losing 80% of your customers was a huge mistake for Adobe. Yes you seriously $&$$& them off but Adobe didn’t account for the number of those people who directly influence their own employers.

Premiere Pro is by no means a professional video editing platform but it is seeing inroads to the broadcast market, which is still dominated by Avid’s MediaComposer.

CFO’s like to know the costs upfront, which works in favour of Adobe but Avid then hit back following the same subscription model.

Avid had a free version for many years, which attracted uni students who then found an easy route into the broadcast market knowing how to use MediaComposer.

Then there was Apple and the excellent FinalCut Pro (the original one). Very popular in the broadcast and professional world but then realised the opposite of Adobe... they didn’t want the expense and demands of supporting the broadcast industry so they came out with the appalling FinalCut X.

There are many more editing platforms out there chasing customers - the many that Adobe decided they didn’t need.

When all is said and done, the answer is always MONEY. Follow the money and you will find the culprit. Applies particularly true for politics.

I would expect that 50% or more of the users on here would be fine with any of the basic free or charge for, video editing systems out there, you don't need Adobe or Davinci resolve, but they are both good programmes. There are so many editing software offerings out there that will do what the majority needs, it just depends on what you want to do now and/or in the future, with your editing. It also depends on how much of a learning curve you want to put up with.

You forgot one more point- I already know how to use Premiere Pro. I have no clue how to use DaVinci.
I didn't forget any points, this was not directed at you. Of course if someone already knows how to use any editing system and it is doing all they want, then there is no reason what so ever, for them to change to anything else. I know Photoshop very well but I'm just a beginner when it comes to video editing and although I have Premier Pro, it is a tough one to work through. I wish there was some simple editing system that had no learning curve, so that I could use that instead.

And thats a big one for sure. Two months ago Black Magic released a free sound library so that point is moot. I don't understand the mp4 statement. It is all i use. The 16 camera is true, but who of us uses unlimited? Really I agree that we all have our favorites.

Yes and here are two, Adobe can handle unlimited cameras at a time, whereby Resolve can only handle up to a max. of 16. Adobe Premier comes with a large selection of sound effects, Resolve has none. There are more features that make Adobe Premier Pro far better than Resolve Free, of course, but you can find those out for yourself.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Resolve is bad, nor am I a huge fan of Premier, in fact since Adobe went to the monthly ransom charge, I don't even suggest to people to use their products anymore, as great as they are. I own Premier Pro and Adobe Photoshop, I bought them when you could actually own them outright. Photoshop does all I need, plus I own the whole suite of Topaz Labs and the latest On1 2020 RAW and have no need for all the latest and greatest that Adobe offers in their CC Cloud system.

What I'm saying is that for basic editing, for the most part, there is practically no difference, and the fact that Resolve is free is a huge plus. But some feel, including you, that Resolve can do everything that Adobe Premier Pro can do, and that is simply not a correct statement. Adobe Premier Pro is by far the better more robust and feature rich software, but you can only rent it and I do not like that fact.

So as stated, basic editing for the average user, you can do on both, but for the expert needing all the features, Adobe beats DaVinci every time.
You may not be aware that Resolve has made massive improvements in the last year and a half. They also now have a sound library.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas