DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing software

No it isn't.
Glad we sorted that :)

You mean that YOU like Adobe Pemier.
According to very many other professionals"the Best" is Avid, FCPX, Resolve etc etc etc

The problem with Premier is the Adobe licensing system. For casual or occasional users a monthly subscription is not a good idea.
There is a major revolt away from Adobe by a lot of people.

I use FCPX which is Apple only. I would not recommend that route if I was starting now. Like Adobe Apple seem to have lost the plot a bit.

Resolve is free and works up to multi-person teams (on OSX, Windows and Linux) so might be a good place to start?

however rather than go through it al here try this lot.. Search results for query: editing software

Now might be a good time for the Admins to lock the thread berfore we get Yet Another long thread repeating all the other threads on what is "the best" video editing software.....

BTW iMovie (or something similar and free on a PC) is probably all that the OP needs.
i am not an apple user..and yes your right I should have stated my in my opinion...Adobe Premiere pro is the best in my opinion...yes they are a greedy bunch..but that doesn't disqualify it is position as a top editing platform.

Back again …..
Image Composite Editor (ICE) --- 2.0
That one is a Microsoft product, free... I just downloaded it. I think its for panoramic shots.. Have you seen the Litchi app ?? You can do a 360 deg photo shoot and stitch together.. Watch this.....
I will have a look.. Thanks, happy flying

i am not an apple user..and yes your right I should have stated my in my opinion...Adobe Premiere pro is the best in my opinion...yes they are a greedy bunch..but that doesn't disqualify it is position as a top editing platform.
"Top" for which user segment? Recreational? Pro / commercial?

Blackmagic Design (makers of Resolve) is deep in the field with some of the best hardware companies, joined at the hips with the best film-production houses. They can certainly give Adobe a run for their money in the video field (I still use the Adobe photographer's package for stills) and even if you get the paid version, it's still only $300 today.

I once used Premier Pro. Before going to Resolve Studio, I took a hard look again at PP and remember that I just don't like the user interface. Resolve Studio is a lot more intuitive, so much so that I said "nah" when the install offered to configure it with PP UI shortcuts/keystrokes.

Chris

When flying the Mavic 2 zoom and using the iPad Mini 4 doesn't the down link video suppose
to stay on the iPad mini 4?
I like to just narrate the video when I fly and don't do any editing. When I play the video on the DJI Go 4 app in the 'cache' mode I can hear my editing but when I download it in the iPad mini 4 the audio is gone from the video. I have my settings to record audio when I am flying.
Any suggestions on what am I doing wrong?
[email protected]

Nope it's worth it for industry standard software. Go check the other threads for a ton of feed back on the subject. It's never old and never have to buy a new version. The math works.

WHAT? At $21 per month - you gotta be kidding me!
Nope it's worth it for industry standard software. Go check the other threads for a ton of feed back on the subject. Adobe subscription software is never old and you never have to buy a new version. The math works, sorry you don't get a CD to toss in the bottom drawer.

Cheap tools often end up costing you more in terms of time (if your time has value) and money (since you often abandon cheap products).

May not be the best to all people but many professional content creation folk and editors do consider it the best. Not to mention Adobe education and resources they offer for free are worth the subscription alone.

Many of us dripped 1.8k on gear, is $252 for a year's worth of a professional grade software tools really the breaking point. Hell some folks drop $750 for a smart controller because they didn't like plugging in a cable or blocking a small portion of the controller screen.

I think what pisses ALOT of people off the most is that subscription software is much harder to pirate or steal.

Just my two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

Last edited:
Some people are never going to get the subscription model. If you use it enough, it pans out to about what it was pre-subscription, unless you were the type to use old versions for a decade or more, missing out on advances and bug fixes.

I tended to upgrade my Adobe products with most major revisions, which were getting to be about $180 a pop Photoshop and Lightroom (each). Premier Pro was even pricier to upgrade, each time. Those costs are over.

That said, I don't use Premier Pro anymore (but not because it's a subscription product).

Chris

Reactions: Hegemone
No it isn't.
Glad we sorted that :)

You mean that YOU like Adobe Pemier.
According to very many other professionals"the Best" is Avid, FCPX, Resolve etc etc etc

The problem with Premier is the Adobe licensing system. For casual or occasional users a monthly subscription is not a good idea.
There is a major revolt away from Adobe by a lot of people.

I use FCPX which is Apple only. I would not recommend that route if I was starting now. Like Adobe Apple seem to have lost the plot a bit.

Resolve is free and works up to multi-person teams (on OSX, Windows and Linux) so might be a good place to start?

however rather than go through it al here try this lot.. Search results for query: editing software

Now might be a good time for the Admins to lock the thread berfore we get Yet Another long thread repeating all the other threads on what is "the best" video editing software.....

BTW iMovie (or something similar and free on a PC) is probably all that the OP needs.

I disagree a little. I think the subscription system did a lot to reduce the cost of entry for a lot of casual users. If they are out after a year they really aren't out any more then an old copy of the software was and didn't really need it anyways. If they keep it and use it they are getting a lot more for their money then a single license to a single title. They got instant upgrades quicker and more frequently, a whole suite of really useful stuff like After Effects, Photoshop, illustrator, Lightroom, Audition, and so on and so forth.

I don't see the revolt that you speak of. The new customers for Adobe look different then the old customers but they are still there and have no issue with a fair priced subscription. How many of the kids in your neighborhood are lining up for records and cds? The music industry is still growing and apple made a killing on iTunes and will soon take on Spotify and Pandora. How many YouTubers are making content that generates more revenue than national geographic documentaries? The world is changing.

I edited on an Avid system for a while and frankly it's mostly an issue of their proprietary hardware working so reliably and flawlessly software wise it feels just like all the others. Final Cut and Resolve are very much direct competitors and took a lot from AVID as well as Premiere. It's a really inbred field.

Doesn't matter at the end of the day all the packages have their fanboys and fangirls. You don't have to agree with them but they will still make their opinions loud and clear. Adobe like Apple has an almost cult like following thanks to Photoshop, illustrator, and InDesign which are all arguably the best in their fields. Even if Premier is not clearly the best it is one of the best.

My two cents. Toss them in a well and then fish them up with all the rest of the change and see if we can scrape together enough for a proper AVID editing suite.

Last edited:
So what would be the next best editor available for outright purchase ( not a monthly fee)? I am just getting into this and don't know how far I will go. If I can buy a program and use it then put it away for a year or so, then pull it out and re-use of again, that would work well for me. But I don't want to pay a monthly fee for something that may be sitting idle months at a time. If/when I do it commercially, then I would jump up to a lease

"next best"? Well that supposes that Permier is "the best" which very many people would dispute to start with! In some parts of the world Premier is not even a major player.

DaVinci Resolve is FREE. The Studio version ( ment for teams doing big feature films) is $300 and has additional features you don't need. Runs on MAC, Windows, Linux

FCPX is $300 But MAC only and I would not recommend it unless you already use a MAC

It's one of the industry standards.... There are several packages very widely used in the video industry.

It might be the most used where you are but this is a global industry.
The post didn't say "the" industry standard and frankly didn't even mention what industry if we want to nit pick. I don't get why this type of conversation always has to turn into a semantic argument.

Last edited:
DaVinci Resolve is FREE. The Studio version ( ment for teams doing big feature films) is $300 and has additional features you don't need.

About the "features you don't need" part:

I fly a M2P and shoot h.265 4K. I used Resolve Free until I realized I couldn't decode/encode h.265 with it, and that lens correction (which you need with the M2P lens) was painful using the warp feature (the Studio-only lens correction feature does not require the process-heavy warp).

Also, Studio makes full use of of my on-board NVIDIA GPU processing feature set, while the Free version uses only software emulation. So it was not only very slow rendering video, it was next to impossible to use it as an editor once I applied FX nodes (very jittery playback and you can just forget jogging).

So Free might be good for a the user if all they want to do is edit sequences without h.265 encoding or FX processing, but for me, it was $300 (one-time fee) well spent.

Yes, even if the user puts it away for a few months (where a subscription product might be a bad investment), the one-time price with upgrades for life is quite affordable.

Chris

Reactions: jagraphics
Nope it's worth it for industry standard software. Go check the other threads for a ton of feed back on the subject. Adobe subscription software is never old and you never have to buy a new version. The math works, sorry you don't get a CD to toss in the bottom drawer.

Cheap tools often end up costing you more in terms of time (if your time has value) and money (since you often abandon cheap products).

May not be the best to all people but many professional content creation folk and editors do consider it the best. Not to mention Adobe education and resources they offer for free are worth the subscription alone.

Many of us dripped 1.8k on gear, is $252 for a year's worth of a professional grade software tools really the breaking point. Hell some folks drop $750 for a smart controller because they didn't like plugging in a cable or blocking a small portion of the controller screen.

I think what pisses ALOT of people off the most is that subscription software is much harder to pirate or steal.

Just my two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

Thankx for the info but I'm not into professional editing of my videos. Gosh! I spend too much time on this dam computer as it is. All I want to do is edit out the fast panning & boring long flights & adding some words & music. Appreciate your info...

Lol no worries. I would still say premier is pretty quick and as easy to learn as things like cyberlink. I totally understand what you mean. I enjoy tinkering with my computer and software so I am a bit on the other side of things. If you get board check out Adobe Rush it might just fit your bill

The other tools mentioned are not "cheap" and are also industry standard. Premier is just one of several professional tools. Not THE professional tool.

The same is true of several other tools. In fact in some parts of the industry Premier is not the first choice of professionals.

It's not the cost. Other professional and industry standard tools cost similar it is just a one off payment.

We were discussion professionals who wouldn't be using pirated software inthe fist place. SO that argument is totally disingenuous.

My comments weren't directed at you or your preferences most of your reply is arguing semantics or making assumptions of what I am referring to.

I am not sure why you are so fucused on my comments and dissecting them. Do you work for an Adobe competitor or do you feel my comments invalidate you as a professional because you don't use Adobe?

These forums always seem to be about people's egos (nor point ing fingers at you, general observation) rather then sharing experiences. Frankly it's why they end up being dominated by a small group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13