DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Feedback Wanted - Columbus Crew Construction Update

muchuckwagon

Reactions
I was able to boil down nearly 60 minutes of 4K footage from my flight around the construction of the new Columbus Crew soccer stadium into this 2 minute clip. I'm still very new to video editing (and drone flying) and trying to get the pacing of the video down to the point it will hold your interest.

I welcome constructive feedback on the video. This is something I enjoy but not something I have any experience with in the past which is why I would like feedback to improve future videos.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Columbus Crew Stadium Construction

I was able to boil down nearly 60 minutes of 4K footage from my flight around the construction of the new Columbus Crew soccer stadium into this 2 minute clip. I'm still very new to video editing (and drone flying) and trying to get the pacing of the video down to the point it will hold your interest.

I welcome constructive feedback on the video. This is something I enjoy but not something I have any experience with in the past which is why I would like feedback to improve future videos.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Columbus Crew Stadium Construction

I thought it was very good! You have good smooth shots and avoid all the beginner mistakes. We can evaluate this video on a higher level because you are not at the beginner level. My constructive criticism comes with that understanding.

It seems you have even already identified where you can improve and that’s on pacing and cadence. I personally would like to have seen quicker cuts and have the video follow the music cues better. I think there is a little disconnect between the video and the music.

For instance, at 10 seconds the music beat drops and to us viewers thats an audio cue to us that the video is about to change but when we don’t see this change there’s a mild discomfort for lack of better term.

Whenever starting a video that is going to be put to music I always like to import the music first and then listen to the music and put markers on the timeline to plot out the intro, verses(stanzas), bridge (alternative verse), and outro. The video should follow the same formula and structure as the music.

Reactions: 280
I would also like to see more close up shots. I think it’s nice to have some close up shots mixed in with the wide shots to give the viewers and better sense of scale and also perspective of what we are looking at in the wide shots.

I thought it was very good! You have good smooth shots and avoid all the beginner mistakes. We can evaluate this video on a higher level because you are not at the beginner level. My constructive criticism comes with that understanding.

It seems you have even already identified where you can improve and that’s on pacing and cadence. I personally would like to have seen quicker cuts and have the video follow the music cues better. I think there is a little disconnect between the video and the music.

For instance, at 10 seconds the music beat drops and to us viewers thats an audio cue to us that the video is about to change but when we don’t see this change there’s a mild discomfort for lack of better term.

Whenever starting a video that is going to be put to music I always like to import the music first and then listen to the music and put markers on the timeline to plot out the intro, verses(stanzas), bridge (alternative verse), and outro. The video should follow the same formula and structure as the music.
I appreciate the feedback. To be honest, the music was a last second decision. I'm not the biggest fan of stock music with drone footage but it is better than nothing at all. I had originally intended to use the last two minutes of audio from the MLS championship game from last season that the Columbus Crew won. I changed my mind fearing a copyright strike.

You mentioned showing some more detailed shots. This is something I considered but it was a struggle. The stadium is such a large structure and in an state that it lacks any of the finishing touches. The construction equipment was not moving because the site was not active while I was flying....this was by choice. I got my drone back in July and feel more comfortable flying when people are not around. What would you have included or like to see from a detail standpoint?

Thanks again.

I appreciate the feedback. To be honest, the music was a last second decision. I'm not the biggest fan of stock music with drone footage but it is better than nothing at all. I had originally intended to use the last two minutes of audio from the MLS championship game from last season that the Columbus Crew won. I changed my mind fearing a copyright strike.

You mentioned showing some more detailed shots. This is something I considered but it was a struggle. The stadium is such a large structure and in an state that it lacks any of the finishing touches. The construction equipment was not moving because the site was not active while I was flying....this was by choice. I got my drone back in July and feel more comfortable flying when people are not around. What would you have included or like to see from a detail standpoint?

Thanks again.
Having the video play with the video is really important. Usually the music is the first thing you want to lock down because everything else revolves around that.

I would have shown more close ups of the construction equipment, the materials laying on the ground, etc. There’s one clip where you are flying in the stadium and I would have liked to see more of that. It doesn’t matter that nothing was moving in fact that’s probably better so you could get closer. You did have a good close up of a smoke stack and I would have liked to see more like that. It just feels like you had a bunch of flying over the building and it could use something to break up those shots.

was able to boil down nearly 60 minutes of 4K footage from my flight around the construction of the new Columbus Crew soccer stadium into this 2 minute clip. I'm still very new to video editing (and drone flying) and trying to get the pacing of the video down to the point it will hold your interest.
Hi Muchuckwagon funny nick name BTW ?
Your flying skills are quite good. The shots are also good, but as others said you should have made some nice closeup shots, that would improve the impression of the video!
cheers Paul

Having the video play with the video is really important. Usually the music is the first thing you want to lock down because everything else revolves around that.

I would have shown more close ups of the construction equipment, the materials laying on the ground, etc. There’s one clip where you are flying in the stadium and I would have liked to see more of that. It doesn’t matter that nothing was moving in fact that’s probably better so you could get closer. You did have a good close up of a smoke stack and I would have liked to see more like that. It just feels like you had a bunch of flying over the building and it could use something to break up those shots.
Again, I appreciate the input and will apply it to my next video. I didn’t fly around inside the stadium much simply for safety reasons. I’m still gaining confidence in my ability to fly the MA2 and didn’t want to crash. I’ve also not flown much at all lately since it’s winter.

Hi Muchuckwagon funny nick name BTW ?
Your flying skills are quite good. The shots are also good, but as others said you should have made some nice closeup shots, that would improve the impression of the video!
cheers Paul
Thanks! My screen name is tied to my college. Miami University (OH) - MU. Chuck Wagon was a food truck that parked outside the local bars. You could get “Chuck“ burgers and fries. The owner was a guy named Chuck who would sing a song while down on one knee - Down By The Old Chuck Wagon - to ladies the first time they ordered from him. Hard to imagine that was more than 25 years ago.

hanks! My screen name is tied to my college. Miami University (OH) - MU. Chuck Wagon was a food truck that parked outside the local bars. You could get “Chuck“ burgers and fries. The owner was a guy named Chuck who would sing a song while down on one knee - Down By The Old Chuck Wagon - to ladies the first time they ordered from him. Hard to imagine that was more than 25 years ago.
that is really a very interesting story about you´r nickname ? Thanks and have a nice day,
cheers Paul

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming