DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video freezes when recording in 4K

KlemenMavic

Reactions
Hi,

I have a Mini 2 and
I've been experiencing lately, that video feed always freezes when trying to record on 4k30. If I have set to 4k and don't record, all is fine, I can also record and fly with 2.7k60 or any other setting, but on 4k video feed freezes even if im standing right next to my drone. The recording itself on SD card, when playing back, is fine though.

I started noticing this after I updated DJI Fly to 1.2.2, or it could be because I switched to Galaxy s21. I never had that problem on S9+

Anyone else having this issues?
It's pretty frustrating actually.

Best regards

If the only difference is the device, its easy to point at the device change as the source of the problem and the solution maybe to revert to the other device if still available, or try another, even if you borrow it and install the app for a flight and see what happens.

You can also look for v1.2.4 thats out now and see if anything changes on your current device

Yes, I installed DJI Fly 1.2.4 from DJI website, and oddly enough, there's no official changelog for the update. There is a some kind of disclamer at the bottom with list of all supported devices, which DOES NOT include S21. So the problem actually could be device related. I'll try to install the app on another device and we'll see what happens.

The S21 just came out so DJI probably didn't get to it. They only list what they've tried, and not what won't work. Tons more than on that list will work.
Even some on the list might not be optimal.

Ok, so I've installed 1.2.4 - the problem remains.
Then I've tested scenario on a different phone - and it works!
So the problem is actually the phone. I really hope they adress this ASAP, since this basically makes the drone almost useless from a video standpoint.

Ok, so I've installed 1.2.4 - the problem remains.
Then I've tested scenario on a different phone - and it works!
So the problem is actually the phone. I really hope they adress this ASAP, since this basically makes the drone almost useless from a video standpoint.
If what you see on the screen is actually being recorded that way, thats a problem, that you have a potentially incompatible phone, not sure how fast DJI is going to remedy that.. if thats as DanMan noted a new phone, it may not happen soon...

Chances are, its probably not being recorded as you see it on the S21, so if thats your only option at the moment, you'll have to deal with what you see and know that your recordings are probably fine on the SD card.

As stated above, the recording on SD card is fine. It records everything as expected, but the video feed on the device freezes the moment I hit record (ONLY when in 4k). I only see frozen image from that point forward. If I'm not recording, all is fine also.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you still have the S9+?

See if you can change the settings to match the S9+ and see if it works.

As stated above, the recording on SD card is fine. It records everything as expected, but the video feed on the device freezes the moment I hit record (ONLY when in 4k). I only see frozen image from that point forward. If I'm not recording, all is fine also.
Sometimes its hard to note every detail in a thread, but it sure does sound like the new S21 has a compatibility issue of some sort, perhaps as also noted in the prior reply, there are some settings that can be adjusted to aid in making it work, or your going to have to look for another device to fly with and just use the S21 as a phone. Its also possible thats its related to the S21 running Android 11.

Last edited:
Sadly I don't have the S9+ anymore, but I've matched all the settings I had on the S9+ on the S21 aswell. It made no difference. Now that I think about it, it could actually be Android 11 related, since all other devices I've tried it on were Android 10.

I think all I can do now is wait and hope they fix it ?

You could buy an old phone on the dji list and keep it exclusively for your drone use.
Then keep your super duper s21 for all other things.

Haha, yeah... Dunno if I really want to spend extra money to have one phone laying around just for drone flying ?
It's really a good way to fly. I keep my "real" phone in my pocket for calls or checking other things. My drone phone is a less expensive device just for flying, always kept ready, charged, updated. It's apps are just for drone-related use. Plus, it is easier to send off a text photo of a flight just completed right away.

Reactions: Yogi053
The tablet is being asked to do more than it is capable of. The only setting that could help is to reduce the resolution of the video feed to the tablet, if there is a setting to do so.

Perhaps you answered this, but is caching enabled? If it's off, then there shouldn't be anything different the app has to do to process the feed with recording on or off.

Check app permissions that it has access to storage, since the cache has to have somewhere to go.

Newer phone models can add things that affect app functions without anyone knowing exactly what.
For example, on the S20, Tello video would not appear with Android 10. With my FE, once it updated to the Android 11/ UI 3, video is back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag