DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video of Mavic Mini near Red Rock Canyon

I'm new to drones, mostly fly 3D rc planes. Just got the DJI Mavic Mini Yesterday, really like it so far.
Here is video from day 2 out in the local desert.....
Great video, a little vertiginous. Question-how hot do your batteries get flying out in the heat. Have you checked while flying. Just curious.

Welcome to you from the wide-open spaces of Texas!

Years ago we hiked RR Canyon. There was a fresh hatch of beautiful butterflies. We saw wild burros, and got sore muscles and and sunburn from boulder-jumping. What a great day!

The Mini is a fabulous machine for the beginner and the pro alike.

There are over 100,000 of us from around the world who are here to help you gain skill as a pilot and photographer.

Be sure to read the manual! Be sure you practice lost drone recovery (you will crash, and you will lose your Mini). Just be sure you know how to retrieve it!

Glad to have you with us!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Beautiful location, a dream spot for flying a drone. Think about wha you want your shots to be, then fly them and keep them smooth, no quick, jerky movements. You'll have epic videos after that.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I'm new to drones, mostly fly 3D rc planes. Just got the DJI Mavic Mini Yesterday, really like it so far.
I really liked the video. It could be the opening for a Sci-fi movie especially with that "music?" (g) Now, I probably would not be in favor of a whole series of such videos but this was FUN.

Great terrain. After a number of trips to Vegas to get to Zion, we finally visited Red Rocks. I've hiked there and enjoyed it.

I really liked the video. It could be the opening for a Sci-fi movie especially with that "music?" (g) Now, I probably would not be in favor of a whole series of such videos but this was FUN.

Great terrain. After a number of trips to Vegas to get to Zion, we finally visited Red Rocks. I've hiked there and enjoyed it.
Zion and Bryce are awesome as well!

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Too fast! Wow. I had to stop it at 24 seconds. Way too fast. What's the hurry? Spinning, yawing, racing. Gosh. SLOW it down. My eyeballs are aching.

Great video, a little vertiginous. Question-how hot do your batteries get flying out in the heat. Have you checked while flying. Just curious.

Temps here yesterday morning were only 70 and batteries were warm, but not hot. I've only got around 8 flights on it so far and I'm new to drones so it will take a few more flights to get the feel and smooth things out. The whole FPV thing takes a bit of getting use to. I put a shirt over my head to block the sunlight so I could view the screen better, that seemed to help. I like flying low and fast, just my style, but still not real sure just how close to those mountains I can get, thus the jerky rudder inputs when I thought I was getting too close. I went out to a different spot this morning and flew to the top of an 800' mountain, took just over 2 minutes to reach the top with both sticks fully forward. Drone was 1300' away at the summit and shortly afterward signal was lost, kinda scary for sure but it returned when I pointed the antenna in that direction. I've also had a red square indicator pop up at the bottom center of screen at times replacing the directional indicator, gotta figure out what that means. I will probably buy one of those antenna reflective signal boosters soon, that may help. My wife and I will be camping in Utah and Arizona next week so really look forward to flying some of that beautiful country....Meanwhile I have ordered an FPV racer from Banggood (Tyro129), but that is several weeks away before it arrives. Glad you liked the video.

Yes, we camped both Zion and Bryce last year, just spectacular. We are doing Canyon Lands and Arches this time but will be boon docking outside the parks so that opens up opportunities for legal drone flying. Also doing Sedona after that. I will try to plan my flights to get the best video I can get.

Due to some bad neurological issues I haven’t been around for a while but I must say this video is fantastic. The sharpness and the picture you paint are impressive. Music, my arch enemy was also very cool. I just purchased the Mini today and picking it up tomorrow at Best Buy. I’ve let my Spark and Air go onto our Son in Law as he will get much more use from them. Looking forward to having some fun with this.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Too fast! Wow. I had to stop it at 24 seconds. Way too fast. What's the hurry? Spinning, yawing, racing. Gosh. SLOW it down. My eyeballs are aching.

I loved the action, and moves!
We all enjoy different things.

Reactions: ff22 and Hauptmann
Very nice, one of the most beautiful places on earth. Red Rock Cannon is one of my old stomping grounds, Last Chance Canyon, Ridgecrest and Mojave area. Used to ride dirt bikes and metal detect that same area, a lot of history out there.

Thanks for sharing, you live in an area with perfect terrain for making videos.

Good job!
Paul

That was really cool. I see that those small micro-adjustments are just as alarming as mine. No matter how I try to feather it. I live in a very foresty environment, that open desert is beautiful for low flying. It's an enticement to find an open plain to fly in.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Temps here yesterday morning were only 70 and batteries were warm, but not hot. I've only got around 8 flights on it so far and I'm new to drones so it will take a few more flights to get the feel and smooth things out. The whole FPV thing takes a bit of getting use to. I put a shirt over my head to block the sunlight so I could view the screen better, that seemed to help. I like flying low and fast, just my style, but still not real sure just how close to those mountains I can get, thus the jerky rudder inputs when I thought I was getting too close. I went out to a different spot this morning and flew to the top of an 800' mountain, took just over 2 minutes to reach the top with both sticks fully forward. Drone was 1300' away at the summit and shortly afterward signal was lost, kinda scary for sure but it returned when I pointed the antenna in that direction. I've also had a red square indicator pop up at the bottom center of screen at times replacing the directional indicator, gotta figure out what that means. I will probably buy one of those antenna reflective signal boosters soon, that may help. My wife and I will be camping in Utah and Arizona next week so really look forward to flying some of that beautiful country....Meanwhile I have ordered an FPV racer from Banggood (Tyro129), but that is several weeks away before it arrives. Glad you liked the video.
You can see your batt temps while flying. You just touch your screen over the upper right corner where the % is. I'd be curious how hot they get during flight. Here in NC with high 80s my batts are at 60 deg centigrade at the end of the flight.
The mountains get in the way of the signal(or trees, buildings, et cetera) and it will return to home if it loses signal. Make sure you set your RTH to higher than the mountain or it will hit it on RTH. Better for you to be on top of the mountain when you start, you will be less likely to lose your signal. I know that terrain outside Vegas(Henderson, et cetera) and there are lots of hills and mountains to lose your signal. Best to be at the top. You wont need any signal booster and the drone can go 5 miles away. Signal boster wont help when the signal is blocked.
Not sure about the red box unless you are too high(>400 feet) or maybe loss of signal.
You are in great country to drone. No people around to worry about, only planes. Lake Mead would be cool. You would have VLOS starting on one side and flying to the other(if drones are allowed). No signal loss.

Just wondering, since this is new for you, there are settings that can tamp down the reaction of the sticks so that the Yaws, and gimbal moves are not so sudden and fast. Many good videos on these settings if you go to YouTube and search for settings on your type of drone. Some readers here are saying they enjoy these quick movements, so I've said my piece and enjoy.

I'm assuming you flew your drone there. They are national parks. How can this be? I've imagined flying Bryce but just assumed it was off limits to drones. I realize you can lift off outside the park and overfly the park but due to the size of many parks, this seems impractical to me.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54