DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video on screen inconsistent with drone location.

JohnLietzke

Reactions
Less than a mile away and while returning to my Home Point at a 2,800 ft away I started to experience Occusync breakup. The video on screen was stalling and delayed. It was well behind the drones actual location. Fortunately, I was pointed in the direction of Home Point already, when I check the map it was constantly changing the direction of the red Return to Home line to a location that was 45° to the south and then would correct to the correct direction. The drones direction indicator remained constant. I was able to stay on course and fly back to my location. When I started my mile jaunt to my Home Point I had 25% battery more than enough to cover that distance and my signal was full bars. I checked the lighting port on my iPhone and it was clear of debris and making a good connection. The video remained grossly out of sync and delayed until I landed. Then it reconnect to a realtime view.

I used AirData.com to check the signal strength which was good for the entire flight which was not the case. As I had several weak signal warnings earlier in the flight in another area.

Anyone else had an experience like this before? I had cancelled the auto return and would have lost my drone had I not already been on course.

Given the two other erratic behaving Mavic Mini post today is there a possibility it could be GPS signal related or atmospheric?

Last edited:
IOS. I already checked the lightning cable port for debris which is a common problem.

Does anyone know if I just turned off the controller would the Mavic Air 2 automatically initiate a RTH? I still had stick control so there was some type of connection still functioning.

Last edited:
IOS. I already checked the lightning cable port for debris which is a common problem.

Does anyone know if I just turned off the controller would the Mavic Air 2 automatically initiate a RTH? I still had stick control so there was some type of connection still functioning.

As long as you have the drone set to RTH on a signal loss, yes it would come back to you if you just turned off the remote. You also could just have held down the RTH button on the remote until you heard the RTH beeping though.

Thank you for confirming the RTH. I was thinking about using the button but given the video feed failure I would not be certain if it was actually responding to the button. So I thought about turning off the controller and restating the DJI Fly App. Then waiting a bit and turning the controller back on. Doing so would not alter the auto RTH but might restore an accurate video feed.

I find video lags seem to be more of an issue with the app on the device rendering the video rather than signal issues.
However video would be the first to be affected before telemetry and control.

Reactions: Micky52
The above posters are asking what phone or tablet you are using with the controller... such as mini iPad3, etc.

Fly app takes a lot of processing power and older "screens" may not be up to the task.

The above posters are asking what phone or tablet you are using with the controller... such as mini iPad3, etc.

Fly app takes a lot of processing power and older "screens" may not be up to the task.
I agree... You have to give us all of the info.
You're flying a MA2 and using iOS but on what??
Is really hot when you was flying?
Are flying in an area the would cause you to have signal lose?
But I do agree with reloading everything.

are you sure the camera was pointing in the drones direction? In my case I had changed the setting on a filter when the drone was powered up and it caused a calibration problem in the gimbal. The camera was probably 90 degrees to the direction of flight and it was very confusing. With the Air 2 it's possible to control the direction of the camera on screen and It's also possible that I could have inadvertently done that. at any rate it becomes a very confusing situation and I thought that as in your case that it could appear as lagging.

are you sure the camera was pointing in the drones direction? In my case I had changed the setting on a filter when the drone was powered up and it caused a calibration problem in the gimbal. The camera was probably 90 degrees to the direction of flight and it was very confusing. With the Air 2 it's possible to control the direction of the camera on screen and It's also possible that I could have inadvertently done that. at any rate it becomes a very confusing situation and I thought that as in your case that it could appear as lagging.
I am certain the camera was the correct direction as it was aligned with drones flight path towards my Home Point. I could see my location getting progressively close just greatly delayed.

I agree... You have to give us all of the info.
You're flying a MA2 and using iOS but on what??
Is really hot when you was flying?
Are flying in an area the would cause you to have signal lose?
But I do agree with reloading everything.
I have flown this area 20+ times in specific and is crossed on many of my other flights to get out to an open area. Never have I had signal issues. This was at the tail end of 9.3 mile flight.

DJI recommended uninstalling the app and the reinstalling it. Hopefully that is the fix.
DJI's "help" people are a mixed bag and are just as likely to give bad information as good.

There's not enough information in your original description of the incident to tell what happened.
Post the .txt file here or a link to the Airdata report and I'll see what I can work out.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair