DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AzChupacabra

Reactions
Good day, everyone -

Brand new to both drone piloting as well as videography, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Recently purchased a Mavic Pro and am in the process of learning everything about it - like how much easier it is to fly it with a tablet instead of a phone, why you don't waste your money on a cheap memory card, etc -

But I've come across a problem I need some help with. I usually record video in 4K, and I am noticing a periodic "rippling" effect during playback. It has occurred on both my cheap memory card as well as my new fast one. I have not tried recording in lower resolution to confirm if the problem persists.

Has anyone else encountered this, and, more importantly, has anyone figured out a way to eliminate it? Any help - preferably low tech - would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

After Mad Valley (thanks very much) helped me identify the problem I'm experiencing as something called, "jello", I happened to notice there are a whole lot of people who have or are experiencing this problem. I'm wondering is this a design defect or are we doing something to the drone that is causing this problem?

I'm only asking because I'm sending mine in for repair, and if it's true we are somehow damaging our drones inadvertently, I'd like to know about it so i can avoid this mistake in the future.

It's not really a repair thing. A lot of it comes from (at least the stuff I see on my footage) flying too fast over a fairly plain background, like grass, or yawing too quickly for the sensor to keep up. When I slow down, it just stops. Try flying stationary and do a slow yaw in Tripod mode and a fast yaw in P mode and you'll probably be able to see the difference. Same test flying forward/

An example uploaded to youtube might help.
Sudden braking can make the gimbal hit the stop but the smoothing effect might conceal what happened.
The classic cause is unbalanced props, check there is no damage, or try another set if available.
swapping them round might even help.
The gimbal only hangs on glorified rubber bands, these can sometimes not be located correctly.

Reactions: AzChupacabra
Here's an example from the most recent video I took. As you guys can see, even when I'm flying slow, and the background is varied, I'm getting the effect:

(Please don't think I'm supplying the link for self promotion purposes - remember I'm a noob just trying to learn how to do all this)

Here's an example from the most recent video I took. As you guys can see, even when I'm flying slow, and the background is varied, I'm getting the effect:

(Please don't think I'm supplying the link for self promotion purposes - remember I'm a noob just trying to learn how to do all this)
It is possible your gimbal is not hanging right. Other than that, I would say you have an very badly balanced prop.
I get this once in a while, but it is VERY rare for me. I use the new low-noise props.

Reactions: AzChupacabra
It is possible your gimbal is not hanging right. Other than that, I would say you have an very badly balanced prop.
I get this once in a while, but it is VERY rare for me. I use the new low-noise props.

I'm set for a UPS pickup this afternoon to have it checked out. After that, I'll take a look at getting new props.

-thanks for the advice

I thought I'd supply an update on this situation:

I shipped my MP off to Texas for repair. Just received their response back last Thursday. DJI replaced the gimbal and camera. They covered the cost of the entire repair under warranty, but it normally would have run $231.

I should be getting it back next Tuesday. I'll check it out and see if the issue has indeed been fixed.

Reactions: MadValley
I thought I'd supply an update on this situation:

I shipped my MP off to Texas for repair. Just received their response back last Thursday. DJI replaced the gimbal and camera. They covered the cost of the entire repair under warranty, but it normally would have run $231.

I should be getting it back next Tuesday. I'll check it out and see if the issue has indeed been fixed.
What was the outcome i just sent my drone in to the same shop, sent contact info

Everything came back perfect. Issue resolved. One other thing I just had a problem with I thought I'd pass along. If you have issues with the video on your phone/tablet being blurred out, this is a result of the newest version of the DJI Go4 software. If you revert back to the old version, the problem goes away.

Everything came back perfect. Issue resolved. One other thing I just had a problem with I thought I'd pass along. If you have issues with the video on your phone/tablet being blurred out, this is a result of the newest version of the DJI Go4 software. If you revert back to the old version, the problem goes away.
Any contact info on that Texas location, i haven't heard anything ...708-979-1465

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22