DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video stuttering

New to the Mavic series.
Went out and took some video's with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Upon review at home, I noticed (on my system) that there was a a stutter in the video. Well, maybe not really a stutter, but I also wouldn't call it smooth.

RAW footage is here: Dropbox - DJI_0186.MP4

Is this something in my settings on my drone? Or is it my PC not being able to handle the video
My system is i7 7700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070.

I am away from my main PC, as I am on the road, so I cant view your video and make a true comment on it's playback.
Double check your selected shutter speed for the choice of video recording modes.
As you already know, If you can shoot at 50 or 60 fps, your shutter speed should be 1/100 or 1/125 of a second. The reason for this 180-degree rule is because it helps us to record video that contains natural movement.
I use ND filters to help with shutter speed, so try that as a starting place.

Polar Pro has an app (IOS and Android) that helps with selection of ND filters.

I have stuttering sometimes using VLC on a totally capable rig. I can watch the same vid using windows media player or whatever on windows 10 and no stuttering. I love VLC but I usually watch my mavic 2p vids on PC with something else. I can watch same vids on the LG B7 and not stuttering either.
same stuttering was in the davinci resolve editor - as the issue is in the directx implementation and the underlying codec. dunno yet how to fix this.

i also suspect it may be because i use a 1440p monitors - an ultrawide 34" one and a couple of 25" - but it is all on 1440 resolution, not a true 4K. i wonder if on the 4K monitor it would be less stuttering, but, not going to buy a monitor just to test it.
here is something else on this topic - not sure how much is it relevant... it is beyond annoying.
Windows 10 getting HEVC H.265 Codec to use Hardware Acceleration

ok, link above is useless, that is the same issue - does not support 10 bit color. grr.

Last edited:
New to the Mavic series.
Went out and took some video's with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Upon review at home, I noticed (on my system) that there was a a stutter in the video. Well, maybe not really a stutter, but I also wouldn't call it smooth.

RAW footage is here: Dropbox - DJI_0186.MP4

Is this something in my settings on my drone? Or is it my PC not being able to handle the video
My system is i7 7700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070.

also, for what it matters, i simply copy here an advice and my response from it from other forum, on overall settings.
------------------
Originally Posted by Alan Chan
Utkinpol, I hope the lowering down of the following values may help smoothing out your yaw movement in P-Mode.

EXP down to 0.2, 0.1, 0.2
Sensitivity to 50, 80 and 50 for Yaw
Gain Setting to 80 for Yaw Movement Limit

Gimbal pitch speed to single digit near 5 and the pitch smoothness is about right to 20-23.

In addition to the above, you still need a very very gentle rudder turn and sometimes may need a small counteracting aileron movement to complete a nice yaw movement. I ain't no good photographer but I've learnt these from my Heli and Glider experience.

Finally, a fast Intel i7 processor plus a good GeForce Graphics Card is the basic entry to 4K video editing.
smile.gif

Alan
--------------
Thx Alan, i will try that. Not sure about gain alteration, but, can try as well. I know some people talk about altering gains, but, it changes overall vehicle response, i did not see much wrong with the way how it controls rotation now. but, why not to try.

PS. thx, i like it. i ended up with a bit different, but close settings after i flew it a bit now, with a bit of wind as well - ended up with
sensitivity: 65 - 80 - 55
and yaw gain at 85. i tried all increments from 80 to 115, looked at it, and think may be 90 would be better, but, 85 is also seems ok. so i left it at lower setting.

it is an extreme oddity that they did not do separate sensitivity brackets per each mode as this sensitivity is not good at all for the S mode. yet as i understand it is a global setting now?

Reactions: DannyV
Thank you all for the feedback!
also, on the topic of SD cards - i tested now 4 kinds of cards i have - 128gb, 2x 64gb, 32gb and 16gb.

all cards produced me perfectly recorded video with no issues.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX3X9JD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072W7Z79R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Micr...9656347&sr=1-3&keywords=samsung+64gb+micro+sd
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JWXGNT/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as i saw before sombody was saying that M2P does not work correctly with 64gb or 128gb cards - dunno, all works for me fine.

as i saw before sombody was saying that M2P does not work correctly with 64gb or 128gb cards - dunno, all works for me fine.
It's not the capacity of the card that matters, its the UHS speed class (U3) that's the important bit ...

Reactions: mereflyer
It's not the capacity of the card that matters, its the UHS speed class (U3) that's the important bit ...
no, it was a post showing a same exact 128gb card i use, and the video shown had quite a stutter - on youtube - a 1/10th sec at least. go figure. dunno, all worked for me fine today. only when i drove to the lake - the unlock did not happen, otherwise all worked. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB