DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video stuttering

DannyV

Reactions
New to the Mavic series.
Went out and took some video's with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Upon review at home, I noticed (on my system) that there was a a stutter in the video. Well, maybe not really a stutter, but I also wouldn't call it smooth.

RAW footage is here: Dropbox - DJI_0186.MP4

Is this something in my settings on my drone? Or is it my PC not being able to handle the video
My system is i7 7700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070.

Reactions: mereflyer
I only seen a slight clitch when you turned over the trees and then another at 1:04. The rest of it looked ok.
I’m sure someone with better knowledge than I will chime in here.

Reactions: DannyV
Can't see much evidence of any frame-drop type video stutter, but you'd definitely get a lot of value out of cruising some of the video's on YouTube that explain how to set up the sensitivity of the controls to slow down the yaw rate of the drone, and to smooth out the up/down movement of the gimbal.

Last edited:
New to the Mavic series.
Went out and took some video's with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Upon review at home, I noticed (on my system) that there was a a stutter in the video. Well, maybe not really a stutter, but I also wouldn't call it smooth.

RAW footage is here: Dropbox - DJI_0186.MP4

Is this something in my settings on my drone? Or is it my PC not being able to handle the video
My system is i7 7700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070.

What type (standard) and make of card are you using in the drone?

Reactions: mereflyer and AMann
No evident stuttering of video. Thats even when played back from the dropbox link and not downloaded and played locally on my PC.
Defrag and Optimize the hard drive using Smartdefrag - Free and will write data sequentially.Best Free Disk Defrag Software - Smart Defrag by IObit

Use 5Kplayer for playback.

Yup , your SD card is fine as its U3.

Reactions: mereflyer and AMann
What was the frame rate and shutter speed?

25fps. Should have been 1/50, don’t recall 100% sure if I had that set.

25fps. Should have been 1/50, don’t recall 100% sure if I had that set.
That combination should have worked. I honestly did not notice stuttering in your posted video. A shutter speed that is too fast will cause some stuttering that is especially noticeable when you pan (fixed with a ND filter).

I should back out of this thread since you have a M2P and my experience is with a MP. I hope someone with more applicable knowledge can help.

Reactions: Point Zero
I was playing it from an SSD on my pc. Using VLC for playback.
so, try to update nvidia drivers and install latest VLC from the nightly build - a v4.0 beta - VLC media player continuous nightly builds - VideoLAN

i also had similar issue and i think it is mostly the VLC. also, increase all buffer sizes in VLC from 300 to 3000 or more. try also placing file on the USB stick and play it on the TV to check the footage. i believe it is a generic issue of the Windows platform not having proper implementation of the 10bit 4K codec.
also,
make a short clip with a section you see stuttering in and upload it into your youtube account. after it will be done with processing - watch it there. i bet you will see no stuttering. if it is still there - then it may be an SD card, gimbal, who knows what else.

Weird glitch at 1:06, kinda looked like the gimbal hung up.

so, try to update nvidia drivers and install latest VLC from the nightly build - a v4.0 beta - VLC media player continuous nightly builds - VideoLAN

i also had similar issue and i think it is mostly the VLC. also, increase all buffer sizes in VLC from 300 to 3000 or more. try also placing file on the USB stick and play it on the TV to check the footage. i believe it is a generic issue of the Windows platform not having proper implementation of the 10bit 4K codec.
also,
make a short clip with a section you see stuttering in and upload it into your youtube account. after it will be done with processing - watch it there. i bet you will see no stuttering. if it is still there - then it may be an SD card, gimbal, who knows what else.

Did that actually upload some other footage to YT to test that also. No stutters on there.
Going to try the VLC settings. Thanks for that.
So, final verdict is the pc not being completely able to deal with it? Well, as long as the final uploaded video is good, I'm happy.

Did that actually upload some other footage to YT to test that also. No stutters on there.
Going to try the VLC settings. Thanks for that.
So, final verdict is the pc not being completely able to deal with it? Well, as long as the final uploaded video is good, I'm happy.
Not pc. Windows 10, codecs and directx 3.11 or what it is, issue is with specifically 10bit color in 4k. Try 2.7k in 8bit color and compare.

I have stuttering sometimes using VLC on a totally capable rig. I can watch the same vid using windows media player or whatever on windows 10 and no stuttering. I love VLC but I usually watch my mavic 2p vids on PC with something else. I can watch same vids on the LG B7 and not stuttering either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78