DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vietnam Drone Rules In Practice

Thank you for you comments.
I have only a domestic flight At Danang airport from Saigon.
So if i am not mistakes this will not be an issue.
Am i right?
Also ι have read a report that says that this problem existed at a time when they had a conference in the country. Nothing similar has happened in recent years.
From everything I read you should be ok. I also read what you did about the conference. It seemed like the confiscations were continuing AFTER the conference was completed. Either the local officials didn't get the memo or they're using it as a pretext for getting tourists' hardware and/or money.

In any case be safe and enjoy your trip to Vietnam!

From everything I read you should be ok. I also read what you did about the conference. It seemed like the confiscations were continuing AFTER the conference was completed. Either the local officials didn't get the memo or they're using it as a pretext for getting tourists' hardware and/or money.

In any case be safe and enjoy your trip to Vietnam!
Thank you!
I called the embassy of Vietnam in my country and they told me the same thing.
They have heard about some incidents at this airport that only involved international flights.
So let's avoid all those who want to travel there on an international flight ;-)
Have a nice day!

For what it's worth, my wife and I found the Vietnamese people some of the friendliest people in Asia. I was there many years ago, pre-drone.
100% agree with this statement. My last trip just as covid was breaking out, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Everyone I met was over the top friendly but mostly curious. I was in the backwoods and not many outside visitors have been there.

My wife is Viet and we will be traveling to see her family in Mid Sept. After reading this thread, I'm a little concerned since we are flying into Da Nang internationally. I wanted to carry my M2 with me to be able to get shots of the countryside where my wife's family lives. I'm wondering now if I should take a chance and take it with me. I know all about the corruption and how things work there. Maybe just a matter of just "greasing the skids" a little to be able to go through immigration hassle free. I hope someone who has traveled recently through Da Nang can advise on this.

100% agree with this statement. My last trip just as covid was breaking out, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Everyone I met was over the top friendly but mostly curious. I was in the backwoods and not many outside visitors have been there.

My wife is Viet and we will be traveling to see her family in Mid Sept. After reading this thread, I'm a little concerned since we are flying into Da Nang internationally. I wanted to carry my M2 with me to be able to get shots of the countryside where my wife's family lives. I'm wondering now if I should take a chance and take it with me. I know all about the corruption and how things work there. Maybe just a matter of just "greasing the skids" a little to be able to go through immigration hassle free. I hope someone who has traveled recently through Da Nang can advise on this.
Maybe you could consider a sacrificial Mavic Mini 2 from Costco $440.00. IfScreen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.02.21 AM.png it is confiscated, your only loss would be that amount rather than a loss incurred with a more expensive model.

Hi,
At the end did You manage to bring your M2 to Da Nang, any suggestions on it?

Thank you.

Hi,
At the end did You manage to bring your M2 to Da Nang, any suggestions on it?

Thank you.
Just now seeing this post since I got back on 10/28. Yes, I got it through customs with a stern lecture about following the "official rules", filling out the paperwork, getting approved, etc. It was all for show. I flew it in the countryside near where I was staying. Hardly anybody around and only one curious gawkier. Weather SUCKED. Was there for 6 weeks and only got to fly 3 days before I left.

• Sad
Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
I had a trip in Vietnam end of 2022, after searching all over the net and not getting a clear answer on whether I needed to apply for paperwork I just winged it. I had e-mailed using the Government website (with the help of Google translate) but never heard anything back. I was also weary of applying as you have to specify the time, date and place, which cannot be changed once the permission is obtained.

As already mentioned previously, just be smart about where you fly. Avoid busy areas (Gov't buildings etc.) and if any officials are nearby, ask for permission first. I stayed in Ho Chi Minh city and didn't bother trying to fly there, visibility isn't very good until mid-day & there was rain/showers. I did end up using the Mini3 in the Mekong Delta and Mui Ne. In both of those places the locals were curious and encouraged me to fly so they can see what I see. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures/videos to upload. Just wanted to update in case someone is searching for an upcoming trip.

Reactions: BrianA
I have an in-built hassle meter. If I feel the hassle factor is high, I dont fly, whether it be in another country or here in Australia. On some occasions, I will walk to the location, stay distant from the public without it actually looking like I am being sneeky or hiding, go up, take my shot, come down. Sometimes I wait until the general public have gone home to take my shots.
I really like the idea of the built in hassle meter. Lol.

I really like the idea of the built in hassle meter. Lol.
In March my wife and I will. be traveling to Doha,Qatar, Dubai and Abu Dhabi in UAE, Israel, and Jordan. drones are now illegal in UAE. They must be left with security at the airport and will be returned on exit of the country. If I try to sneak the drone in (a Mini 2- not my M3), the fine is >10,000 and a year in jail. I am not going to take the chance and will be leaving the drone back in Miami despite being in one of the most photogenic cities in the world.

It has come to this!

Dale

I had a trip in Vietnam end of 2022, after searching all over the net and not getting a clear answer on whether I needed to apply for paperwork I just winged it. I had e-mailed using the Government website (with the help of Google translate) but never heard anything back. I was also weary of applying as you have to specify the time, date and place, which cannot be changed once the permission is obtained.

As already mentioned previously, just be smart about where you fly. Avoid busy areas (Gov't buildings etc.) and if any officials are nearby, ask for permission first. I stayed in Ho Chi Minh city and didn't bother trying to fly there, visibility isn't very good until mid-day & there was rain/showers. I did end up using the Mini3 in the Mekong Delta and Mui Ne. In both of those places the locals were curious and encouraged me to fly so they can see what I see. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures/videos to upload. Just wanted to update in case someone is searching for an upcoming trip.
I also had the comfort factor of my wife's nephew who knows where the 'no-go' zones are, such as military installations and other govt buildings. I'm not a crowded city kinda photographer anyway and enjoy the further away from people the better. I love being in the countryside where onlookers are curious and not trying to get you into trouble. Vietnam is an awesome country for photography and a drone takes it up to the next level. Again, just have situational awareness and use a little common sense when flying. Hope you enjoyed the Mekong Delta. I've heard that's a great place to visit as are many other areas I'm jonesing to get to.

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405