DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wall Street Journal Article today-very disturbing

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Having my morning coffee and reading the Wall Street Journal...found this article. It's a bit long, but it is certainly an ominous warning of the negative reactions the general public has of drones.

Military’s New Challenge: Fighting Cheap Hobby Drones

Dale

• Wow
Reactions: careless
This article is about a military problem with the use of drones as low-cost offensive weapons; it has nothing to do with the public opinion of drones in general, and doesn't even mention that subject. Are you just worried that it will reinforce existing negative perceptions?

"Hobby drones cost a few hundred dollars and can be rigged with explosives."

You mean I can do that with my Mavic Mini 2? How interesting. A new way to go hunting?

Realistically, this is about as accurate as any other kind of popular press hype. Maybe drones that cost a few thousand can pose a threat, but small cheap ones? Are the good small cheap drones being hidden from us consumers?

As a former army artillery officer, I can accurately state that our forces face all kinds of unconventional threats, and have for decades. There's nothing new here, except the hype. Threat capable drones have been around for years, and have been slowly getting better over time. And of course there's the random use of hobby/consumer drones to harass forces, but given their limited range, limited payload and the need for a human operator, how much of a threat are they, compared to all the other tools a fighter (conventional or not) has at their disposal?

Whenever I see an article like this, I always ask "why" and "how" it got published. More likely than not a defense contractor seeking increased funding is behind it. A feature of these PR driven articles is often vagueness, which this article has in spades.

You mean I can do that with my Mavic Mini 2? How interesting. A new way to go hunting?

Realistically, this is about as accurate as any other kind of popular press hype. Maybe drones that cost a few thousand can pose a threat, but small cheap ones? Are the good small cheap drones being hidden from us consumers?

As a former army artillery officer, I can accurately state that our forces face all kinds of unconventional threats, and have for decades. There's nothing new here, except the hype. Threat capable drones have been around for years, and have been slowly getting better over time. And of course there's the random use of hobby/consumer drones to harass forces, but given their limited range, limited payload and the need for a human operator, how much of a threat are they, compared to all the other tools a fighter (conventional or not) has at their disposal?

Whenever I see an article like this, I always ask "why" and "how" it got published. More likely than not a defense contractor seeking increased funding is behind it. A feature of these PR driven articles is often vagueness, which this article has in spades.
I'm surprised, given your background, that you are unaware of the demonstrated weaponization of consumer drones. Countering them is an active research area, both in the public and private sectors. How long ago did you retire?

Whoops! Looks like I have unleashed a torrent of negativity. Sorry for that. When an article about easily purchased, off the shelf consumer drones appears on the front page of a major countrywide newspaper, it just gives me the creeps that this riles up the general public. I am only trying to make my beloved drone community aware of this negative press, and again, to fly responsibly.

Dale

Having my morning coffee and reading the Wall Street Journal...found this article. It's a bit long, but it is certainly an ominous warning of the negative reactions the general public has of drones.

Dale
This is a tall tale to increase funding , its shameful that the Military cannot beat a hobby drone and even more shameful for putting out the idea to everyone . Before this there were kites, Balloons, that could do the same thing,

I just read the article about the Kill Switch that may be placed in Cars, when there is a real problem and they really want to end it , they will figure it out.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I'm surprised, given your background, that you are unaware of the demonstrated weaponization of consumer drones. Countering them is an active research area, both in the public and private sectors. How long ago did you retire?
It's a long way from a "demonstration" to something actually useful. Some things that look obvious on the surface are less useful in practice. Let's just consider that the cheap consumer drones mentioned in the article have limited payload, limited range and require LOS for accurate targeting. In most cases, an RPG would be much more effective under the same conditions.

Active research? Of course. We research many theoretical threats, as we should. So what? You know how many theoretical threats (active research...) amount to anything?

Oh happy day. Achmed had a new toy. I agree @Dale, it all adds to the publics negative view of drones. I was in a park last year when a couple of young (20's) folks approached me telling me I looked creepy and needed to leave the park because I had a camera with me. One was of the thug persuasion and was threatening to get his friends and beat me. Obviously a couple of things going on here thuggery and paranoia. Both insane but both prevalent. If it continues to spread the gooberment will become involved and make a complete mess out of everything per their track record. It's absolutely bizarre. One time I'll fly in the park and people will obviously be paranoid and the next time they will be pointing with excitement enjoying watching it. I've even had a couple of flights that drew what I would consider normal reactions with minimal response.

Reactions: tray
I've found that wearing a safety vest indicating you're a an FAA licensed drone pilot bodes well for public perception and PR. Lots of pockets too, one of which carries pepper spray.

Where I fly no one is around most of the time. One location, a well preserved mill town, does have a few folks but they tend to be more curious, if they react at all. Maybe it's a city versus country thing? The biggest town within an hour of me has 23,000. My town has 1600.

It's a long way from a "demonstration" to something actually useful.
You misunderstand my use of "demonstrated". I don't mean proof of principle - I mean they have been used in that way and are actively being developed.
Some things that look obvious on the surface are less useful in practice.
Very true, but not in this case.
Let's just consider that the cheap consumer drones mentioned in the article have limited payload, limited range and require LOS for accurate targeting. In most cases, an RPG would be much more effective under the same conditions.
No. With even a Mavic-sized drone you can send a payload of around 1 lb many miles via autonomous flight and deliver it to a location with an accuracy of a few meters - even better if WAAS is available. For a soft target that's far more effective than an RPG. And it's only a relatively small step up to increasing payload to tens of lbs with off-the-shelf technology.
Active research? Of course. We research many theoretical threats, as we should. So what? You know how many theoretical threats (active research...) amount to anything?
A fallacious argument. The fact that we research a range of threats, some of which don't amount to anything, does not imply that all threats that we research fall into that category. This one is real, which is why numerous agencies are working on countermeasures. That's a simple fact, not any kind of "press hype".

Reactions: Pietros and AZDave
Whoops! Looks like I have unleashed a torrent of negativity. Sorry for that. When an article about easily purchased, off the shelf consumer drones appears on the front page of a major countrywide newspaper, it just gives me the creeps that this riles up the general public. I am only trying to make my beloved drone community aware of this negative press, and again, to fly responsibly.

Dale
I know I’m giving the general public way more benefit of the doubt than they deserve, but hopefully they will understand the difference between a bad actor who would weaponize a drone and hobbyists and professionals who use them for their intended purpose. Automobiles are used in the commission of crimes all the time, but nobody thinks that all cars are bad and that all drivers harbor evil intent. Whatever the case, I don’t think that this article will do much to sway someone who doesn’t have a negative view of drones into now thinking negatively of them. Sure, those who already have a negative view of drones will use this as another “example” of why they’re bad, but there’s still no net change to public perception. You either read an article like this and think it’s a shame that there are bad apples among a much larger group of safe, responsible drone pilots, or you use it to reinforce what you already believe.

Reactions: Gagey52 and sar104
I had a long discussion with a Boeing 777 pilot friend who was very interested in my P4P and what it could do. As well as the Part 107 certificate and what it entails. However, almost every other word out of his mouth was saying "but drones are creepy, invasive; impinging on people's privacy" etc.

After explaining how I research, develop and plan missions, utilize flight logs, check lists, he realized that drones are not the enemy. He even thought my preflight plannings were more comprehensive than a Cessna 172 pilot he flies with.

I had a long discussion with a Boeing 777 pilot friend who was very interested in my P4P and what it could do. As well as the Part 107 certificate and what it entails. However, almost every other word out of his mouth was saying "but drones are creepy, invasive; impinging on people's privacy" etc.

After explaining how I research, develop and plan missions, utilize flight logs, check lists, he realized that drones are not the enemy. He even thought my preflight plannings were more comprehensive than a Cessna 172 pilot he flies with.
It's nice that you were to achieve a convert however the majority of the anties that I encounter have no intention of listening. They have an agenda to be right much like Don Quixote clones out to spear themselves a windmill. Myopic little freaks on a mission. Programmed and brain dead. I find it easier to convert animals as they will become accustomed to drones in time finding they pose no threat obviously they are more adept to independent thought.

Yesterday I got permission to learn to fly In a socker field I went to there office and explained I needed an open place to practice.
And I would only fly on the weekends. When others are not using the field . Gave a letter I wouldn't sue if I hurt myself.
He gave me a letter ok to fly there.
It all comes to attitude you desplay.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos