DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warning. The Fly app 1.4.8 isn't stable.

Yesterday there was another thread that reported problems with the DJI Fly app.

Here is the post from Bruchpilot that you should read:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello,

there were 2 versions of the Fly App 1.4.8, the current one = 1120. The previous version 1116 was secretly exchanged for the 1120. Check your version and download the new 1120, this may fix the error.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So for anyone who is experiencing issues with v.1.4.8 of the DJI Fly app, uninstall the app and download the latest version of 1.4.8 which includes the numbers "1120" in the download version.

I did 2 flights following the re-install and have not seen any issues .... yet....!
Followed your instructions and made a few test flights that included starting/stopping video. Taking multiple pictures. Activating and canceling RTH and auto landing. Had no issues. Thanks for sharing the info.

Today did 2 flights without any issues. DJI Smart Controller FW 1.100.0068, DJI Fly App 1.4.8(1120). Aircrafts Air2S and Mini2. Switching Aircrafts at Aircraft Management at SC settings menu.

Attachments

• 6981263F-DFE5-475F-8262-4C2E0CD42A4F.jpeg
    6981263F-DFE5-475F-8262-4C2E0CD42A4F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 973B6C26-9AC2-4B1D-834B-46ABE944C2D6.jpeg
    973B6C26-9AC2-4B1D-834B-46ABE944C2D6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Yeah I'm wondering if it would be better to do that rather than uninstall, roll back and then upgrade from the older version. I'll have to try a direct download later.
So I got a chance to fly after work in a massive thunderstorm all's well no issues at all ??

100% might be less stable precisely as it requires more ram....

First day installed the fly app 1.4.8.
Brought 2 batteries to shoot some video.
No problems with first battery. Landed, changed batt and took off again. After 10 mins in the air the app freezes. But not completely. Everything on screen does not respond at all. Funny thing is the Camera video feed was still working. Remote was working. After I landed the Air 2S i couldn't even stop the video recording. Any one experienced this? Although I like the new radar scope on the bottom right, and the camera controls, I will be rolling back to the previous version. Using Redmi Note 10 pro with 8gb ram.

Update: After I looked at the video clips, the app seems to function because after the drone landed. I tapped stop button to stop the recording. Nothing happened. Actually it did stop recording. And started recording when I pressed the record button again and started and stopped several times. So the interface was working but nothing was moving.
I read a few places the note10 was screwy? try a trusted interface?

Yesterday there was another thread that reported problems with the DJI Fly app.

Here is the post from Bruchpilot that you should read:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello,

there were 2 versions of the Fly App 1.4.8, the current one = 1120. The previous version 1116 was secretly exchanged for the 1120. Check your version and download the new 1120, this may fix the error.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So for anyone who is experiencing issues with v.1.4.8 of the DJI Fly app, uninstall the app and download the latest version of 1.4.8 which includes the numbers "1120" in the download version.

I did 2 flights following the re-install and have not seen any issues .... yet....!
Where exactly do you see the numbers 1120 version. I have looked but I only see v.1.4.8.

Where exactly do you see the numbers 1120 version. I have looked but I only see v.1.4.8.
It’s in the app under profile - > settings or it should be, on the left side at the bottom of the page .

I just downloaded and installed DJI Fly app from the App Store and under profile>settings at the bottom left it says version 1.4.8 (477)

I just downloaded and installed DJI Fly app from the App Store and under profile>settings at the bottom left it says version 1.4.8 (477)
This sounds like the IOS version, not the Android version. I am assuming since I do not have Android to look that i you were using Droid, you'd see the build numbers being noted here for that 1.4.8 version, not what your seeing for IOS.

Yes, the iOS version. I have been having a few problems with the video freezing while flying. I’m one that does not fly miles away from home but rather in the hundreds of feet. I would just like to be able to downgrade until this version can be sorted out but I am unable to find anything on the DJI website. I has been sending me indirectly back to the App Store. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong and will just have to keep poking around until I can figure it out.

Yes, the iOS version. I have been having a few problems with the video freezing while flying. I’m one that does not fly miles away from home but rather in the hundreds of feet. I would just like to be able to downgrade until this version can be sorted out but I am unable to find anything on the DJI website. I has been sending me indirectly back to the App Store. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong and will just have to keep poking around until I can figure it out.
There is no reversing the IOS version, they use certs keys to install via the App Store, its a safeguard from loading potentially un-safe Apps from the outside..

You can lower the resolution of the display in the app from HD, there are two different settings. not sure which one your using.. the other options might to clear the cache. What IOS device are you using it on? I have 1.4.8 installed and do not have any issues that can see so far.

Yes. Identical issues with 1.4.8. on iPhone X and iOS 14.6. App would appear to freeze but actually was just extremely slow to respond. Following DJI´s advice, I uninstalled the app then reinstalled (after making sure I had backed up my flight records). No problems thereafter.

Android 1.4.8 is a pile of crap. My old drone-only phone was a Oneplus 5, until 1.4.8 that was on the compatible list but not now. App was buggy on the O5 so I parked it and used my Mi Note 10 Pro. The spec is higher than any of the Xiaomi Mi phones in the compatible list but I'm getting all the problems others are reporting. Added it as a game so the game boost kicks in when it's launched and no better.

Android 1.4.8 is a pile of crap. My old drone-only phone was a Oneplus 5, until 1.4.8 that was on the compatible list but not now. App was buggy on the O5 so I parked it and used my Mi Note 10 Pro. The spec is higher than any of the Xiaomi Mi phones in the compatible list but I'm getting all the problems others are reporting. Added it as a game so the game boost kicks in when it's launched and no better.
Yep. I've rolled back to 1.4.4.

Reactions: Dronernator
Reporting in with the 1120 version, I started having this issue today myself. Multiple times.

Either:
  • the whole app just freezes, goes black, and locks my phone up to the point that the home gesture/button doesn't work, and DJI Fly has me held hostage -- I have to say "Hey Google, navigate home" to make the phone open up Maps and thus let me out.(Take note should this happen to anyone else out there)
  • only telemetry(including battery level) freezes, but the app becomes completely unresponsive other than video. The back arrow, the menu button, all of them actually, just dim when you press them, and nothing more. DJI Fly just becomes a glorified viewport through the drone's camera.

I acquired my drone on Saturday from Costco; The timing of this meaning that I came into things after 1120's release. I have verified that 1120 is the version I downloaded.

I've already made the mistake of flying into one of the metal buildings on my property, being forced into ATTI mode, and not managing to get the drone out before ontact with a wall and the subsequent crash. After replacing the damaged props and getting back up in the air just fine though, I continued to fly around then with no issues for the rest of the evening.

No, it was the next day, today, that this began to happen. Caused me to frustratingly waste an entire battery charge trying to figure it out. I even went so far as rebooting not just the drone and controller but my phone too, all to no avail.

Some investigation led me to believe that something I had done earlier today might have caused it: I was poking around on the SD card and discovered the log files, naively attempting to open and read them with Notepad and, appropriately, discovering their massive size(as far as NotePad is concerned) the hard way.

Long story short, one theory pointed to corrupted/malformed/tampered/whatever log files on the drone. I formatted the SD card and at first, it seemed like that was the fix, however, after doing another Quick Shot in testing, lo and behold the telemetry froze yet again. I was showing 47% battery in DJI Fly when I brought the drone back to land, which was right when it hit 20% and began beeping at me.

From what I can tell, we're more fortunate than our siblings who own FPVs, as most of the information I can find on this issue surrounded the FPV until I found this thread. It seemed like the FPV models were straight up not broadcasting their telemetry -- people told horror stories of bringing the drone back to find its battery well below the usual RTH threshold, and yet the RTH and the alarms never went off for them.

I will try and get my hands on 1.4.4 to test it out once my second battery finishes charging here. I also need to test if this has anything to do with the attitude indicator. I also have to admit that I didn't begin using that until today, as I hadn't found the magic spot to press to bring it up.

EDIT 1: Well, that seemed pretty definitive.

Prior to this test, I cleared all storage on the app. This reset it such that the map and attitude indicator were default-off. I have not modified my app version yet, I'm still running 1.4.8, 1120. I went flying without the map or attitude indicator on at first and everything was fine. Spent the first half of my battery flying around, having fun, doing a few quickshots, everything's peachy.

But the minute I turn on the attitude indicator? All bets are off. It didn't even take a minute.

I should'veturned on my screen recorder on for the flight, but truthfully I forgot my phone had that until afterwards. I used it later, though, to get some video of one of those two states the app likes to go into.

So, for now, it seems 1.4.8 is stable as long as you aren't using the attitude indicator. I may still try to rollback to 1.4.4 and test it.

EDIT 2: Scratch that. I'll leave the video up as a demonstration of what the app is doing, but now I've managed to get a telemetry freeze with the map, and with nothing at all. It's just unstable in general. Now to hunt down 1.4.4.

Last edited:
Using 1.4.8 on an Android device, I also had loads of problems. Either telemetry or fpv video would freeze. I had enough of it and rolled back to 1.4.2, which is the version I was using when I got the drone and I never had any problems at all with it.
I can't find the Fly App in the Playstore. Did you have to download 1.4.8 from the DJI website? If yes, did you see the threat warning when installing the app? When I saw that notice, I decided against using it on my brand new Samsung S21 Ultra. Seems awfully strange DJI refuses to offer through the playstore anymore. Does anyone know why?

I downloaded the Fly App from the Playstore last year to my old LG-G5 Android phone for my Mini2 and it worked fine. But today you can't find the Fly App in the play store. And when I download the APK file from the DJI website, it won't install into the same model LG-G5. Something must have drastically changed. My old LG-G5 has a 64 bit processor with Android 8 OS, so I'm wondering what the problem is. I've always known the DJI Android software team is second rate, compared to their IOS software team. This situation doesn't surprise me I guess. And you reporting bugs in 1.4.8 doesn't surprise me either.

I'm forced to use larger my iPad for the time being.

@John Locke, Fly for android has not been on the playstore for months, what you get from DJI is the latest version and the hardware requirements have probably changed over time, which sounds like in your case a while if you are only just noticing the google no longer has Fly online

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21