DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warning. The Fly app 1.4.8 isn't stable.

I seriously can't understand why so many trust Google so much. They've been stealing your info for decades.
With that, i'm absolutely fine downloading it direct from the manufacturer.

Reactions: scoble08
@John Locke, Fly for android has not been on the playstore for months, what you get from DJI is the latest version and the hardware requirements have probably changed over time, which sounds like in your case a while if you are only just noticing the google no longer has Fly online
Thanks for confirming the reason for my surprise. After flying DJI craft 6 years now I'm getting to wonder what's going on. Does anyone know why DJI can't get their app through the Playstore? Has nobody complained? I couldn't find much in this forum for complaints from Android users.

I'm sure some will be thinking it's a security issue that DJI knows Google will catch. On the other hand it could just be incompetence from DJI's Android software team. Puzzling. This certainly stains my confidence in DJI, as great as they are. Maybe they just think they're big enough to do whatever they want to distribute their app.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I seriously can't understand why so many trust Google so much. They've been stealing your info for decades.
With that, i'm absolutely fine downloading it direct from the manufacturer.
You're point is well taken, however, although I don't trust Google much, I trust Google 10X more than the CCP. DJI has a CCP member on their board of directors. DJI has no choice in the matter. Google making money on my info is one thing, but the CCP taking my country is a bit different. This Android distribution anomaly hinders the little trust I had in DJI, IMO. I feel guilt just buying from DJI anymore, but I'm addicted to their products!

Reactions: Jam0ne and Tufargon
Guess we all have to choose what we believe is the lesser of two evils. Thumbswayup

Thanks for confirming the reason for my surprise. After flying DJI craft 6 years now I'm getting to wonder what's going on. Does anyone know why DJI can't get their app through the Playstore? Has nobody complained? I couldn't find much in this forum for complaints from Android users.

I'm sure some will be thinking it's a security issue that DJI knows Google will catch. On the other hand it could just be incompetence from DJI's Android software team. Puzzling. This certainly stains my confidence in DJI, as great as they are. Maybe they just think they're big enough to do whatever they want to distribute their app.
There has been slews of comments on the issue of DJI not having the Android version of the Fly App on the playstore, and when asked, they do not directly answer the questions, there is another thread or three (or more) around here where this has been discussed a lot, and people posting what they get from DJI when the question has been asked..

DJI is big enough to distribute their app, for Android, as they are doing now and have been for months.. IOS on the hand, You can easily find "Fly" on the Apple App Store. Since Android does not require any significant security to install just about anything, unlike an IOS device, where its pretty much the App Store or nothing. DJI can easily post APK files to their site for anyone to download and install. I prefer Apple's method personally. Its why I own IOS devices.. but I am aware of what goes on with Android merely by watching the discussions and other things that crop up with that OS.

Yesterday there was another thread that reported problems with the DJI Fly app.

Here is the post from Bruchpilot that you should read:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello,

there were 2 versions of the Fly App 1.4.8, the current one = 1120. The previous version 1116 was secretly exchanged for the 1120. Check your version and download the new 1120, this may fix the error.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So for anyone who is experiencing issues with v.1.4.8 of the DJI Fly app, uninstall the app and download the latest version of 1.4.8 which includes the numbers "1120" in the download version.

I did 2 flights following the re-install and have not seen any issues .... yet....!
I had 1120 version and still had problems flying my MA2...now rolled back to 1.4.4...going out tonight to try it..

There has been slews of comments on the issue of DJI not having the Android version of the Fly App on the playstore, and when asked, they do not directly answer the questions, there is another thread or three (or more) around here where this has been discussed a lot, and people posting what they get from DJI when the question has been asked..

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find those relevant threads with my search.

I consider the DJI folks to be extremely smart, given their technology and capabilities to design and manufacture such a variety of products that outperform all others. However, this anomaly of not distributing their Android app through the Playstore baffles me. It's not smart at all. DJI is always trying to make their company less suspicious to the US government to sell into governmental applications. They've even tried to create a special government version product to mitigate distrust. But they aren't smart enough to realize the suspicion created when they don't follow normal protocol with their Android app. They don't go through the process with Google for standard Android app distribution, which is a simply process to ensure Android users get high integrity apps. Instead DJI distributes their Android app themselves. What's the reason? This move by DJI creates suspicion when loading the app. You get all kinds of warnings from the device saying the app could corrupt your device. These warnings are pretty startling. Customers can have visions of trojan horses embedded in their device, such as phone home routines, etc. DJI desperately wants to gain the trust of the US so bad, but they turn around and do this self distribution of Android which creates distrust in the software. How can a company be so smart, yet so dumb? It's so obvious that Playstore distribution is the trusted norm, yet DJI defies the norm and distributes their Android app themselves. There must be a motive behind this, I'm thinking. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. To forfeit the trust gained from normal Playstore distribution (no installation warnings), what does this trade off gain DJI? Seems like an odd move for such a smart company.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find those relevant threads with my search.

I consider the DJI folks to be extremely smart, given their technology and capabilities to design and manufacture such a variety of products that outperform all others. However, this anomaly of not distributing their Android app through the Playstore baffles me. It's not smart at all. DJI is always trying to make their company less suspicious to the US government to sell into governmental applications. They've even tried to create a special government version product to mitigate distrust. But they aren't smart enough to realize the suspicion created when they don't follow normal protocol with their Android app. They don't go through the process with Google for standard Android app distribution, which is a simply process to ensure Android users get high integrity apps. Instead DJI distributes their Android app themselves. What's the reason? This move by DJI creates suspicion when loading the app. You get all kinds of warnings from the device saying the app could corrupt your device. These warnings are pretty startling. Customers can have visions of trojan horses embedded in their device, such as phone home routines, etc. DJI desperately wants to gain the trust of the US so bad, but they turn around and do this self distribution of Android which creates distrust in the software. How can a company be so smart, yet so dumb? It's so obvious that Playstore distribution is the trusted norm, yet DJI defies the norm and distributes their Android app themselves. There must be a motive behind this, I'm thinking. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. To forfeit the trust gained from normal Playstore distribution (no installation warnings), what does this trade off gain DJI? Seems like an odd move for such a smart company.
It's all speculation, unless there is something definitive posted from the sources.

I do not think that DJI posting there own software on their own website is any more or less trusted than posting it anywhere else. The Playstore is hardly a software repository without many issues relating to malware and more.. So if your choosing to use an Android device over iOS, if you need to use DJI Fly for the Drone you bought , your going to be downloading it from DJI...

As far as finding the other discussions, they are probably buried in other Fly related threads and not be easily search for.. But if you read enough of the other topics discussing various recent versions of Fly, they would probably pop up, but it would take you a while..

I have the 1.4.8 1120 version and still same issues where the app just becomes unresponsive during flight. Have had various emails back and forth with DJI CS and now they want me to send them the log files which I havent got round to doing yet. Reverted back to 1.4.2 and works perfectly (the video I posted yesterday was done using 1.4.2)

Where can I get the 1.4.2 version. Having issues on Android...App keeps shutting down mid flight or I get image no telemetry or ability to record or photograph etc.

Taking into account the issue described, Which version should I use? 1.4.2 or 1.4.4? Which one is more stable?

Regards

DJI Fly app hidden version 1.4.8 (1185) Android Beta?..

Who among you knows anything about it? ... I have this version available, but I haven't tested it.

I found this info looking a bit on the net, You can also find some videos on the tube ...

screen.PNG

DJI Fly app hidden version 1.4.8 (1185) Android Beta?..

Who among you knows anything about it? ... I have this version available, but I haven't tested it.

I found this info looking a bit on the net, You can also find some videos on the tube ...

View attachment 133677
perhaps that's for the android 12 Beta? I had the unfortunate issue myself of upgrading my Pixel 4 to Android 12 beta and could not fly until I flashed back to 11.

so in your opinion, those who encountered problems with the current 1.4.8 had Android 12? and with previous versions of Android there were no problems ...

so in your opinion, those who encountered problems with the current 1.4.8 had Android 12? and with previous versions of Android there were no problems ...
I believe you slightly misunderstood, here is a more detailed explanation:

Same exact phone (Pixel 4)

Android 11, DJI FLY 1.4.4 - I don't remember if I had errors.

Android 11, DJI FLY 1.4.8 - unresponsive UI, loss of video feed.

Android 12 Beta (About 1~2 Months ago) Unknown DJI FLY version - app crashing/not even opening. Had to Reflash back to Android 11

I want to upgrade to android 12 but I'll wait until android 12 has full official DJI support. (it's already working as of today AFAIK with a specific link at DJI's Website)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61