DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was I rude?

When a person or persons come over to watch and ask questions, I'll tell them, give me a minute....then....

I'll put the bird in RHM, and while it is coming 'home', I move the people/person to my side, then bring the bird level to us, in hover mode, spin the bird around so camera is facing us and then show the people/person themselves on camera. Then I will take the bird up 10-15 feet or so and show them again, what they look like from 'up there'. I will then bring the bird back to the landing pad and when props have stopped spinning and the bird is 'dead'. I will talk to the person/persons and answer questions. If there are children or young adults I'll ask if they want a picture of themselves, from the bird. Almost always the answer is yes, so I'll get out my flight notes, notebook, and write down their email addresses and when I get home and start editing, I'll grab a good shot and send it to the requester. I'll pass along info on learning to fly drones and strongly suggest they buy some of the auto stabilizing cheapo 'pocket' drones from Amazon and learn to fly the 4 points of the compass while learning the vertical axis control. *Then* think about something more sophisticated.

I get this frequently when I fly from parks or school grounds. Not so much while in campgrounds, don't know why.

BTW, before anyone says anything...I will not text photographs, as I do not ever give out my cell phone number..Only 19 people know it, all family.

Dont be afraid to be rude in that situation, only to the point of telling them to please stand back and you’ll talk to them when you land. inknow most people don’t take flying drones seriously, but it IS serious. And ‘pausing’ your flight, or hovering so that you can talk to them, even for a couple of seconds is taking your eye off the ball and the most likely time when a Heli will fly by or something.

Someone that approaches you and starts to talk to you While you’re flying, is being rude. I usually just ignore the person. I used to be polite, but it happens so frequently I’m over it and wouldn’t get my work done if Inhad to talk to every person that came up asking questions.

Dont be afraid to be rude in that situation, only to the point of telling them to please stand back and you’ll talk to them when you land. inknow most people don’t take flying drones seriously, but it IS serious. And ‘pausing’ your flight, or hovering so that you can talk to them, even for a couple of seconds is taking your eye off the ball and the most likely time when a Heli will fly by or something.

Someone that approaches you and starts to talk to you While you’re flying, is being rude. I usually just ignore the person. I used to be polite, but it happens so frequently I’m over it and wouldn’t get my work done if Inhad to talk to every person that came up asking questions.
"... And ‘pausing’ your flight, or hovering so that you can talk to them, even for a couple of seconds is taking your eye off the ball and the most likely time when a Heli will fly by or something."... So you never take your eyes off the drone? Interesting. I'm glued to my iPad screen quite often, for quite a while while shooting stills or videos. Setting up shots and such. There's times I might not look up for minutes. If I'm paused, hovering, explaining to someone I can't talk, no difference. The drone isn't moving. It's frozen in the air. A "heli" at that time is no different than a heli while I'm shooting videos and looking at my screen which is looking down at the ground. Besides, there better not be a heli at 300 ft without me hearing it coming or it's a stealth heli.

I had a situation the other day that I wondered if anyone could help me understand if I was in the wrong ?

There is a new skate park in the city I live in for skaters and kids on bikes. They do tricks and ride throuhout the different features. There were about 15 people actively using the park when I arrived.

I parked way back in the back of the parking lot, away from everyone - put my drone up and took some footage of the kids riding thru the park. In one instance, I was at about 200 feet above and off to the side of the park, not directly over anyone - and I wanted to do a few hyperlapse shots - so, While "parked" I did one or two hypershop series - and when battery was low, returned to home.

While packing up the Drone, a couple of "kids" - probablyabout 20 years old came over (about 200 yards walk from where they were skating to where I was) and in a threatening manner approached me in an intimidating manner saying I was "uncool" for filming the video. I tried to difuse the situation explaining that my Son is a skater (who lives in Connecticut) and I was only trying to get some footage I could show him - I explained that I was 200 feet up too far to see faces or anything more than general activity in the park. I appologized if I had offended them - tried to show them the videos I had created - and after calling me a "PERV" the kids finally walked away, muttering some unpleasant things as they did.

So - trying to be unobtrusive, I obviously upset these guys - I did not ask permission from the large group of skaters only because I didn't think I needed to - and the group was large enough and so actively involved in skating, it was not really possible to do so.

So - I am curious - did I do anything wrong ? How should I have handled this if I did do something wrong?

At all times I was polite, attempted to show them what I was doing - apologized for whatever it was that had upset them - and so on.

Thoughts?
Can't film people with out consent. You could have approached them first and said any chance you guys could do some sick tricks for a video for my son. Might get a different outcome.

I have often put the MP into a hover and turned to speak to people, tell them I need to concentrate and hold on. If close, I then fly back, land and show them the pretty pics of nature. I have had people pose with me waving like crazy for a selfie from the drone. lol

Reactions: BigAl07
Can't film people with out consent. You could have approached them first and said any chance you guys could do some sick tricks for a video for my son. Might get a different outcome.

That is not accurate. If they are in public, you can film, take pictures, etc. all you want. It might not be "cool" to do so if they'd rather not be filmed, but you do not need their consent from a legal standpoint. The only time you would need their consent, and therefore a signed model release form, is if you were going to use it commercially.

Doesn't even matter the person's age or anything. That being said, I would not recommend filming/photographing someone's kid(s) without their consent of course, but you could not be charged or sued, etc.

On the FAA site it does say it is a federal offense to interfere with anyone flying any kind of aircraft. So yes it is a crime however like kids smoking or no muffler harleys. non-enforceable.
I try to be polite and just show them the screen while I am flying so they know what I am up to and then tell them to hang on while I finish up.

I posted the exact wording of the regulation above >>>>>>HERE<<<<<

No it's not a crime to talk to a UAS operator.

Reactions: Meta4
I posted the exact wording of the regulation above >>>>>>HERE<<<<<

No it's not a crime to talk to a UAS operator.
Exactly right.
The original regulations were drawn up way back in 1961 in response to the threat of hijackings and refers to passengers interfering with aircrew on a plane.
It's more than a stretch to try to try to apply that to someone chatting to you while flying.

Reactions: BigAl07

That really depends on the jurisdiction. In the USA the general rule is that you are free to film anyone in public without permission. (you only would run into issues if you later try to use their images for certain commercial purposes without their consent)

Reactions: Cobra193
Yes-go to Amazon and type in drone vest
I did, both as Drone Vest and Drone Pilot Vest, and the designs seem to have changed. We can "design our own" but until I have part 107, I like this one best. Well, further inspiration to get 107.

.... I'd consider wearing some headphones, but I figure I'd better be attentive with my surroundings, and headphones would prevent that.

Have a look at shooting headphones, they are designed with inbuilt microphones to transmit external sounds through speakers (as normal headphones), but only shut off external sound above a certain threshold to protect your ears from a gunshot. They also usually have a dial to vary the sensitivity to external sound, when wound up to the max, it's surprising what you can hear around you from people who think you can't hear anything ;)

Reactions: Delmarksman
That is not accurate. If they are in public, you can film, take pictures, etc. all you want. It might not be "cool" to do so if they'd rather not be filmed, but you do not need their consent from a legal standpoint. The only time you would need their consent, and therefore a signed model release form, is if you were going to use it commercially.

Doesn't even matter the person's age or anything. That being said, I would not recommend filming/photographing someone's kid(s) without their consent of course, but you could not be charged or sued, etc.

Sure, legally you are right.

And how did that go for you at the skate park?

As long as you were being "PROFESSIONAL" in the way you were flying and following the legal guidelines I would say " NO YOU WEREN'T BEING RUDE" and that the person who approached you was out of line...be smart fly safe

When I'm flying my drone in public areas, many people come to see what it's all about, they're just being friendly and showing interest. Anyone with the mindset that considers the legality of such an approach needs to take up another hobby, take a chill pill and smile :)

Had a guy approach me while I was flying, and I had to tell him that I couldn't speak with him while I was flying. I came close to telling him that it was illegal to distract someone that was operating a drone, but I didn't want to come across as "Karen-ish". How does everyone handle these types of situations? I hate feeling rude, but I also don't like the idea of someone trying to talk to me while I'm in flight, it's like approaching someone on a golf course as they're about to tee off and trying to talk to them. I'd consider wearing some headphones, but I figure I'd better be attentive with my surroundings, and headphones would prevent that.

I'd just say, "I'll be with you in a few minutes."

"... And ‘pausing’ your flight, or hovering so that you can talk to them, even for a couple of seconds is taking your eye off the ball and the most likely time when a Heli will fly by or something."... So you never take your eyes off the drone? Interesting. I'm glued to my iPad screen quite often, for quite a while while shooting stills or videos. Setting up shots and such. There's times I might not look up for minutes. If I'm paused, hovering, explaining to someone I can't talk, no difference. The drone isn't moving. It's frozen in the air. A "heli" at that time is no different than a heli while I'm shooting videos and looking at my screen which is looking down at the ground. Besides, there better not be a heli at 300 ft without me hearing it coming or it's a stealth heli.
Taking your eye of the drone to compose the shot or while filming is VERY different than putting it in a hover and not watching the scree OR the drone. Go tell your local FSDO that you do that and see what they tell you.

Taking your eye of the drone to compose the shot or while filming is VERY different than putting it in a hover and not watching the scree OR the drone. Go tell your local FSDO that you do that and see what they tell you.
I think it depends on the situation. If the drone is close by in an open area and I'm flying just for the hell of it then I'll talk to anyone who wants to chat. Or if it's doing a couple of way points taking umpteen shots over 5 minutes then it doesn't need laser-like concentration.

But if I'm flying over the water close to a cliff face then it's a curt 'Sorry mate. Gimme a minute - I really have to concentrate here'.

So you're familiar with the law in Auckland New Zealand then?

I wear something like this. If I were performing some surgery and someone walked up to me I would calmly say, give me a minute or so to finish please.
I simply locate myself far enough away when possible and conceal myself that is inaccessible to spectators when possible. They might see the drone, but hopefully they cannot get to me. Wearing a bright color vest makes you get noticed, it might help make you look legit but if I can avoid contact that works better for me.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661