DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was not expecting to catch a bird of prey duel today

Crayons

Reactions
Threw up the Mavic intending to skoot along the beach today and got this instead when a neighbour pointed out the bird at the top of a tall Norfolk Pine so went to check it out and got this. Quite amazed - and perplexed by what this white bird (I think an Australian Black Shouldered Kite) was thinking - coming back a second time instead of running off and eating the mouse.

Annnyyyywaaaay... two things to note: 1) Wow. The wind had picked up to 30kmph by the end of the flight - had high velocity warnings - and it amazes me that this thing is as stable as it is even under those conditions. 2) First flight with an ND filter (16, polarised). What a difference it makes to get the shutter speed down. Previously had very shimmery footage. Shot this at 24fps / shutter 50 / 2.7k.

Skip to 0:32 if you're the impatient type. And check out the Kite hovering towards the end and then dive-bombing the drone (at which point I made the wise move to retreat).

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
What a great perspective with your Mavic! Great job!

Reactions: Crayons
Nice shootin' there...

The chick won't lose its downy feathers until it's fledged, and then it will look like the adult. The reason the bird was diving at you was to protect its baby -(which it probably thought you were harassing!).

Reactions: MrEdCeD
Very envious they allowed you to stay so close for so long. Great shots.

Awesome!

Threw up the Mavic intending to skoot along the beach today and got this instead when a neighbour pointed out the bird at the top of a tall Norfolk Pine so went to check it out and got this. Quite amazed - and perplexed by what this white bird (I think an Australian Black Shouldered Kite) was thinking - coming back a second time instead of running off and eating the mouse.

Annnyyyywaaaay... two things to note: 1) Wow. The wind had picked up to 30kmph by the end of the flight - had high velocity warnings - and it amazes me that this thing is as stable as it is even under those conditions. 2) First flight with an ND filter (16, polarised). What a difference it makes to get the shutter speed down. Previously had very shimmery footage. Shot this at 24fps / shutter 50 / 2.7k.

Skip to 0:32 if you're the impatient type. And check out the Kite hovering towards the end and then dive-bombing the drone (at which point I made the wise move to retreat).
Wow, I enjoyed that. Amazing footage

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oquima