DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CH26

Reactions
I lost my drone about a week after I bought it. I posted to this forum the night it happened giving the flight info and everthing. When I woke up the next morning to go find it there had been an overwhelming show of support and help. I the drone was recovered and it was amazing!

5 days ago my Mavic flew away and I don't know why, after waiting for 5-10 minutes for it to return to home I jumped in the car to try to get it to reconnect. I got to the spot about 10-15 minutes after it disconnectedover the next couple of days I looked and looked and couldn't find it.... I posted for some advice and help, but the only responses were.....not helpful.

Is it because there is no good reason for it flying off or no way of knowing what happened? Can you only get help one time? Or did I do something bad and everyone is too nice to say so? I don't know.

I am very grateful for the help I have received and if there is any help you can offer I would appreciate it.

Here is the flight log. I gave my info to DJI to get it replaced.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-07-30_[20-28-17].txt
    223.7 KB · Views: 77
I lost my drone about a week after I bought it. I posted to this forum the night it happened giving the flight info and everthing. When I woke up the next morning to go find it there had been an overwhelming show of support and help. I the drone was recovered and it was amazing!

5 days ago my Mavic flew away and I don't know why, after waiting for 5-10 minutes for it to return to home I jumped in the car to try to get it to reconnect. I got to the spot about 10-15 minutes after it disconnectedover the next couple of days I looked and looked and couldn't find it.... I posted for some advice and help, but the only responses were.....not helpful.

Is it because there is no good reason for it flying off or no way of knowing what happened? Can you only get help one time? Or did I do something bad and everyone is too nice to say so? I don't know.

I am very grateful for the help I have received and if there is any help you can offer I would appreciate it.

Here is the flight log. I gave my info to DJI to get it replaced.

Droning is for everyone m8, but your thread is a little "who are you trying to convince?", if you
understand

I believe you can locate the last location of your drone from the Flight Log.
Please someone who knows jump in here.

I only know this from when Doofus Casey Neistat lost his after flying behind a building.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
Sorry to hear about your drone and for this happening all over again. Must be also exasperating for you as well. Hopefully it's not a mechanical failure that causes it to behave this way. Will have a look at the log when I get home so hopefully some of the more experienced experts can help.

And I don't see the need to be mean on this forum. Ballsy for a keyboard warrior. Let's try to help one another

I don't mean to be an ***... But just because the drone will fly 4 miles away, does it mean you should? You did say you drive 10-15 mins away. I'm too nervous to let the mp fly that far away. It's like giving your drunk friend the keys to the car... drive home but don't crash up the car.. it's 50/50 if it'll happen.

Reactions: Grey Wolf
I don't mean to be an ***... But just because the drone will fly 4 miles away, does it mean you should? You did say you drive 10-15 mins away. I'm too nervous to let the mp fly that far away. It's like giving your drunk friend the keys to the car... drive home but don't crash up the car.. it's 50/50 if it'll happen.

Attachments

• TBrown_slots_22.0.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 124
What mistake did I not learn from? Could you be more specific?

Well, the log notwithstanding, you could describe in a bit of detail what you did? Fully charged pack? RTH why? RTH altitude? What sort of terrain?

I am not a flight log expert, so would just offer these thoughts....

From your log - posted here - it would appear you had flown about 4,000 feet from Home and the Mavic was at an altitude of 396 feet when you lost signal. It was in Sport mode flying at around 33 mph. I could not see any other warnings or notifications other than weak signal. The GPS coordinates last reported in the log were 44.76968323 , -117.84922229. Google map location here.
Assuming the Failsafe RTH would have been initiated within three seconds of your signal loss, depending on your settings it would have a) attempted to return home, b) hovered in place until reconnected or reaching critical battery level, or c) landed immediately. If it attempted to return home it would have stayed at the 396 ft altitude and would have probably reconnected since you said you waited five or ten minutes. Since that did not happen perhaps the Mavic was set to hover or land immediately - if so it seems like it would have landed near those ending coordinates. It looks like that area is somewhat open so hopefully you can find it near that location or just beyond it.
Good luck.

No, I waited for it to come back for about 10 minutes, and then it took us about 5 to wind through the neighborhood to get to it. It was only about 2 minutes of flight away.

I am not a flight log expert, so would just offer these thoughts....

From your log - posted here - it would appear you had flown about 4,000 feet from Home and the Mavic was at an altitude of 396 feet when you lost signal. It was in Sport mode flying at around 33 mph. I could not see any other warnings or notifications other than weak signal. The GPS coordinates last reported in the log were 44.76968323 , -117.84922229. Google map location here.
Assuming the Failsafe RTH would have been initiated within three seconds of your signal loss, depending on your settings it would have a) attempted to return home, b) hovered in place until reconnected or reaching critical battery level, or c) landed immediately. If it attempted to return home it would have stayed at the 396 ft altitude and would have probably reconnected since you said you waited five or ten minutes. Since that did not happen perhaps the Mavic was set to hover or land immediately - if so it seems like it would have landed near those ending coordinates. It looks like that area is somewhat open so hopefully you can find it near that location or just beyond it.
Good luck.

How do you see the signal strength? I was trying to look at that and couldn't find it.

No, I waited for it to come back for about 10 minutes, and then it took us about 5 to wind through the neighborhood to get to it. It was only about 2 minutes of flight away.
I'm still too nervous to strap a $10 bill and fly the mp to the gas station for a pack of smokes a mile away. You know, just call them up and let them know the drone is there for a pickup... haha

From Google Earth and Streetview, it looks like there are lots of overhead utility lines around in the direction of your flight and that you flew over a hill (really nice house on top of it). Those may have been factors in the loss of signal.

Unless it was windy, theres no detail on the airdata logs.
Going out in sport it could possibly have been too windy for RTH to work.

That or return home settings were "hover" or "land". The log cant tell us that.

So many question....
I would like to help

What time of day
Forward visual sensor ...on
were you in sports mode
Loss of signal RTH setting
tree's Hill's
Mavic usually don't just Fly away
Now drop out of the sky that happens........ But not Fly away
..........IF you lose signal from Controller to Mavic there is 3 thing that will happen (depending on settings)
LAND, HOVER, RETURN TO HOME,
IF your forward visual sensor is ON and It sense an obstacle
Mavic will do 3 thing HOVER, GO AROUND, GO OVER,
IF you fly in "Sports mode" for Long periods of time (fast) you should get Battery Discharge warning..
Nobody Knows what happens if you Ignore the warning and Keep Discharging Fast
( if they do there not saying)

But it will not Fly away.!
fail Safe Mode probably Initiated
Chances are Mavic will land HARD in this case
If you Going for distance Flight You need to be High enough Not to lose signal
and in "P" mode.. NOT Sports mode will eat up to much battery
And never Fly with less then 20% battery
........C

I there was probably 5 m/h winds that would have been at the Mavic's back on its return home, and it was just before sunset, the RTH was on and the height was 300 feet. There were not hills or trees tall enough to block it. The power lines may have been the issue with the disconnection.... it dont know how that magic works, but as far as I can figure with it not returning:
1) It definitely didn't RTH and the 5/10 minutes I gave it was plenty to get back.
2) The 15 minutes before I got to the location of disconnect should have meant with 88% battery remaining it should have still been in the air when I got there. (I think)
3) If it landed in those fields there where it disconnected or the next 2 on its flight path then I would have found it (hours of tromping and thousands of stickers give me that confidence).

The only thing I can figure is that it maintained course and flew straight for those mountains....

Is that crazy?

I'm still a bit traumatized that it didn't come back! Mavic, you said you would come back!

Reactions: charliesRig
"just before sunset".
Where was the sun in relation to the home point? OA in smart RTH can mistake the sun or reflections for an obstacle and stop flying towards it. It's more of an issue the lower in the sky the sun gets

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo